Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #43
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
A manual transmission is a delicate combination of parts. Depending on HOW it was driven before and after you buy it, you could end up with tons of problems. you have a hydraulic clutch pedal. it's going to be pressed a million times. any part could fail in that system. You could accidently drop the clutch and mess something up at any moment. Next time find a Camaro with only 5 miles on it. But I am sorry you had to deal with this. The question is WHO DROVE your car for 2000 miles before you bought it and what transpired during that time.
Come on, man. If driving style can destroy a transmission in 2000 miles then that means only one thing: it was not built to what I personally would consider a reasonable standard of quality. You make it sound like a manual transmission is a time bomb waiting to explode and people should just expect that when buying a used car with 2000 miles on it.

Whether the previous owner abused it over 2000 miles or not, that does NOT excuse the problems he's having.

Am I the only one who, upon buying a car for $35,000, expects it to be reasonably well built?? As in, doesn't have the problems the OP has had?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #44
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
2001Ragtop, man you sure are good at making excuses for poor service and quite possibly a lemon.

A 95% chance your car will be scratched when brought in for servicing??? WTF? I've never had a car scratched at either a dealership or any other kind of shop.

And although you say a manual transmission is a delicate combination of parts, there is no way it should be having serious problems at only 2000 miles.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #45
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Sorry for ur lost time and the situation. Ur dealer is bulls*it and u need to report them to the better business people. This compounds the main reason im waiting till 2012 to order my 1-SS (MN6) so GM can work some bugs out the first two years.
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #46
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
I feel for the OP. I have driven MT's for my whole life. My 2SS/LS3 is an amazing car, however GM has used a cheap clutch that sticks and stinks up.

My dealers are idiots too, but dont have much of a choice. My case is with GM's exec team and they are trying to get the dealer and I on the same page.

Hang in there, but make sure you get whats fair to you... might be a long battle, but hang in there!

Perhaps you might consider driving to a different dealer. I realize that once the dealer is on the same page as you, GM will do what it takes to fix it! However the dealer is the hard part.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #47
tw3ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 SW/IOM
Comparing your 1980-1985 Chevy's to the 2010 Camaro is ridiculous. It's no secret that the lates 70's and early 80's were dark times for GM.

90 % of all american cars in the 80s including fords were junk, so dont just focus on GM. But times have changed a lot since then.

tw3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #48
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Every manufacturer has turned out clunkers. I buy American on principal with the exception of the four letter word brand. When your dad complains about his car up the chain and they make the dealer fix the car it's great. When they SAW halfway through a tie rod with a hacksaw on that maintenance visit and send a family of 7 into a guardrail it sours you on them. The state trooper on the scene told dad to sell it. He said the mafia was taking care of complainers for their business partner. Dads gone now but mom and us 5 kids all drive Chevy or Chrysler. Hasn't been a four letter word in the family since.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #49
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
ok, to the OP - I am speechless... thats insanity right there. I hope that the stealership and GM make things right or give you your money back so you can go to a different dealer.

as for the Mustang owner... you know, when I was in high school, a girl hurt my feelings, I guess maybe I should be gay now.

Since the NHTSA started keeping records,Ford Motors has recalled over 20 million vehicles.

In 1972 Ford issued a recall for over 4 million cars with faulty seatbelt buckles. With indications that the buckles could release in a crash situation... they recalled EVERY SINGLE car/truck they made in 1970-1971...

Shouldnt you be un-trusting of Ford because of that? or was it too long ago... need something more recent?

The next major car recall from Ford was the 1996 Ford Explorer recall. The malfunction in question gave it the less-than-favorable moniker “Ford Exploder” as the ignition switches were found to be defective and could catch fire, overheat or otherwise malfunction. Nearly 8 million cars were affected and Ford recalled nearly all its cars manufactured between 1988 and 1993.

Surely THAT would make you untrusting of Fords... but maybe it was still too long ago? Need something more recent...

2005 wasn’t such a great year for Ford in the recall department, either. While we’re at it, we should mention 2009 as well. Both years resulted in a recall of 4.5 million units each for Ford, and were directly related to cruise control malfunctions. Had the NHTSA combined these incidents into a single report, it would have been the largest recall of all time with an estimated 14 million Ford/Mercury vehicles effected.

Now... my point in all this is... Ford puts out a good car... but by your logic they OBVIOUSLY cant be trusted any more than Toyota or GM.

Its time to look at the facts and make a decision instead of living your life in fear... after all in 2009, there were roughly 34000 deaths caused by traffic accidents, so if we're going to live by fear alone and not facts, its probably in all our best interests to ride public transportation... Enjoy your Ford.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #50
jabbar

Drives: 300C
Demand a new Camaro OR a FULL REFUND of the price of the car. I would not settle for anything less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're in Illinois, there is a Lemon law and your situation is over qualified.
jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #51
Tim's.2010.Camaro.SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
First of all, 2 dealers found that there was no abuse at all to my clutch or trans, JUST SAYIN.

Second, i'm really happy to hear that not many people are having clutch or camaro issues. It is an incredible car. I just wish that GM would stand behind it themselves, instead of forcing my hand with bringing it back to the same dealer.

I've been without my car this time for almost 3 weeks. In total, i've owned the car for about 64 days, and i've been without it for way over 40!!!!
Tim's.2010.Camaro.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #52
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I had a friend go through a similar situation when he had a plow put on his Silverado by a dealer. The dealer screwed up the wiring, and the battery would go dead every night. The dealer said it was GM's fault, and GM said it was the dealer's fault, and with no one willing to accept responsibility, nothing was done about it. It sounds like you may have the same problem. Due to their own incompetence, the dealer owes you a transmission, but won't admit it, and GM probably doesn't want to give it to you because it was the dealer's fault.

At this point, I wouldn't accept the old car even with the clutch/trans replaced. The dealership has proven by this point that they can't be trusted to do the work.

I always buy American, but have no brand loyalty beyond that. If this ever happened to me, I would call the GM rep, and under the lemon law, give them one final chance to make you happy by replacing the car, or give a refund (tax, title, license included), and let them know that it would be going three miles up the road to the Ford dealer.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #53
8kids2hummers1camaro
8Kids2hummers1camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IO, Gloss Stripe
Question for the board:

Just wondering what MPG is realistic for the 2SS manual? I realize that it varies based on driving habits and can be impacted by where in the country a person is.

My window sticker said 16/24 (city range of 13-19 and highway range of 19-29). I have always gotten sticker or better on my cars and even my H2 and H3 Alpha I get sticker. First few weeks I was driving a bit harder and just having fun, getting just over 13 in city with a little highway. Now, after driving like Grandma Jones and babying the thing all over the place, but no highway driving (max of 55 for a few miles and then back between 25-45) and an average speed of roughly 29 I'm only getting 14.3 per gallon. I'm using premium gas. Total of 900 miles on the car, first owner.

I'm not exactly overly concerned with mpg's (since I drive trucks), but I also have never been this far below sticker on the mpg's.

What are others getting?
8kids2hummers1camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #54
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
as for the Mustang owner... you know, when I was in high school, a girl hurt my feelings, I guess maybe I should be gay now.
When you say "Mustang owner", are you referring to me?
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #55
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar View Post
Demand a new Camaro OR a FULL REFUND of the price of the car. I would not settle for anything less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're in Illinois, there is a Lemon law and your situation is over qualified.
I was just about to post that same thing. Illinois has one of the better lemon laws in the country in that if you have to take your car in for the same thing three times in a row, the car is classified as a lemon and the dealership must act accordingly.

I would jump on that ASAP.
PrinzII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #56
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim's.2010.Camaro.SS View Post
First of all, 2 dealers found that there was no abuse at all to my clutch or trans, JUST SAYIN.

Second, i'm really happy to hear that not many people are having clutch or camaro issues. It is an incredible car. I just wish that GM would stand behind it themselves, instead of forcing my hand with bringing it back to the same dealer.

I've been without my car this time for almost 3 weeks. In total, i've owned the car for about 64 days, and i've been without it for way over 40!!!!
Tim, where did you get the car from? Considering I am very familiar with the area (Used to live in Chicago, Work in Hoffman Estates), I am guessing one of 4 Chevy dealers in the area. One in Schaumburg, One in Rolling Meadows/Arlington Heights on Northwest Hwy, One in Palatine, and Hoskins in Elk Grove Village.

Either way, you really need to drill them on getting you a new car ASAP. The car is a lemon according to the Illinois Lemon Law and they should handle it accordingly. If they and GM fail, you may need to get the AG involved.
PrinzII is offline   Reply With Quote