Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #155
Goliath

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS L99 A6
Take it to court brother. I would like to see who comes out as a winner in court.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #156
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfaster View Post
in all the other threads where posters said its wrong to run a supercharger on hi compression, what say you?
GM says power adder. Don't see turbo or supercharger in the ad.

I define power adder as any method of supplying additional air or oxygen to the motor which it would not naturally be capable of ingesting. Headers, CAI, bigger cams, fuel injection, ECM tune, catback, highflow cats, N20, turbo & supercharger.

But the fact is, you voided any warranty with your setup.

Last edited by esperman; 01-30-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #157
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
a quote from GM Performance Parts for their lsx454r with 13.1:1 compression :

"The LSX454R’s bottom end includes our new tall-deck cylinder block and an all-forged rotating assembly. And while we rate the engine at 720 horsepower in its naturally aspirated form, it is capable of supporting nitrous and other power adders for even greater power."

in all the other threads where posters said its wrong to run a supercharger on hi compression, what say you?

or is GMPP wrong to tell custormers to run superchargers on these motors?

its says nothing about how long the engine can support power adders, it says nothing about whats size s/c or t/c it can support, it says nothing of how much nitrous it can support.

it just says that its capable to do so.

meaning that if you rigged up a sc or tc or even a nitrous setup on one and made 1 hp more than what its rated, then that engine can support it.

its an open-ended statement that doesnt specify anything about what levels it can be taken to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
GM says power adder. Don't see turbo or supercharger in the ad.

I define power adder as any method of supplying additional air or oxygen to the motor which it would not naturally be capable of ingesting. Headers, CAI, bigger cams, fuel injection, ECM tune, catback, highflow cats, N20, turbo & supercharger.
and your definition may be different than the OP's and different from GM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I say GM Performance Parts needs to tell the marketing people to drop the pen and slowly back away from the LSX brochures. They should not be publishing that kind of bad information. It is very mis-leading. Nitrous and super chargers should not be used on 13.1:1 engines.

Nitrous loves high compression engines. my LT1 in my 94Z28 was running 12.5:1 with spray.

superchargers and tc's do "need" lower compression, but nitrous works the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Take it to court brother. I would like to see who comes out as a winner in court.
if all he's bringing is open-ended statements that do not specify anything then its not going to turn out too well for him.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #158
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
here is gmpp advertisment.
3rd paragraph ---------------- 13.1 compression!
my blown lsx454 ran on race gas

d
That says LSX 454R. Yours was an LSX 454. The first LSX 454R was just auctioned at Barrett Jackson. Different engine.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #159
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Drives: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

its says nothing about how long the engine can support power adders, it says nothing about whats size s/c or t/c it can support, it says nothing of how much nitrous it can support.

it just says that its capable to do so.

meaning that if you rigged up a sc or tc or even a nitrous setup on one and made 1 hp more than what its rated, then that engine can support it.

its an open-ended statement that doesnt specify anything about what levels it can be taken to.

if all he's bringing is open-ended statements that do not specify anything then its not going to turn out too well for him.
so you admit gmpp statements are open ended and ambiguous. consumer protection laws will always favor the consumer whenever the advertisers advertising is ambiguous/open ended.
you state "its an open-ended statement that doesn't specify anything about what levels it can be taken to". thank you for supporting me.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #160
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
That says LSX 454R. Yours was an LSX 454. The first LSX 454R was just auctioned at Barrett Jackson. Different engine.
the point is merely gmpp endorses the use of power adders with high compression, nothing more
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #161
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
the point is merely gmpp endorses the use of power adders with high compression, nothing more
It says it is capable. Not for how long though! lol How's progress on the new block going?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #162
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Let me get this straight....you supercharged a 13:1 compression engine, and are pissed because it blew up in your quest for 1000 rwhp?

Seriously?

If you want to push the edge of the spectrum, you had better expect things to go boom. If you dropped it in the car without the blower and it puked, then you'd have every right in the world to go after GM with both barrels blazing.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #163
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I'm on your side dude. . . regardless the motor shouldn't have blown on the dino. . . .
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #164
fastfaster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Let me get this straight....you supercharged a 13:1 compression engine, and are pissed because it blew up in your quest for 1000 rwhp?
i did not do that!
i merely point out that gmpp endorses the use of power adders on a 13.1 compression motor
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #165
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
i did not do that!
i merely point out that gmpp endores the use of power adders on a 13.1 compression motor
GM also said the drivetrain on the 5th gen was engineered to withstand 500 rwhp..

I don't know if I would use endorses....suggest maybe? And ya gotta use moderation and common sense. ( Although those 2 words rarely go together when you're talking horsepower )
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #166
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
i did not do that!
i merely point out that gmpp endorses the use of power adders on a 13.1 compression motor
And we're merely pointing out that GMPP also says that FI will void the warranty...

This thread is on life support.

Camaro5 is not here to be the bully pulpit...

You said your piece, there is nothing new to add.

Take em to court, let us know how that works out.

I don't see there's anything "new" to discuss.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #167
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
The pistons in the 454lsx motors (both use the same piston) don't seem to be a good choice for forced induction. Being 4032 forgings and high in compression even for the street motor. I'd like to see how the motor would hold up with a stronger piston and 1 to 1.5 points less in compression (9.5:1 or 10:1). Did you change any of the clearances -ring gaps or bearings- before adding the blower?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #168
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
so you admit gmpp statements are open ended and ambiguous. consumer protection laws will always favor the consumer whenever the advertisers advertising is ambiguous/open ended.
you state "its an open-ended statement that doesn't specify anything about what levels it can be taken to". thank you for supporting me.
I'm saying that media statements like that intended to sell a product should not be used as a reasoning for trying what you did.

Tide laundry detergent didnt get the grass stains out of my football uniform, should I sue them for their media claims? no.

I am supporting you in the fact that I do believe there may have been deficiencies in the block.

But I do not support you in your original venture to throw a supercharger on a crate motor that wasn't built for it based off one guy saying that it was "ok".

what you should have done was what you are doing now with the RHS block and ordered an LSX bare block and had it machined to the size you wanted and complemented it with rotating assembly and heads/valvetrain that was designed for the boost.

Quote:
i did not do that!
their statement does not state that they endorse the use of power adders. just that the engine is capable of handling power adders.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.

Closed Thread