Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
Okay, let's say that you've never driven a manual before, and you've never driven anything with paddle shifters, can you screw up your car if you don't know what your doing, or will it override it if your not doing it right?

I'm not sure about ALL Brands and Models with this technology but the Mazda 6 I test drove with it installed had a limit or something that would kick in if your revs were slightly too high or too low. If your in gear too high, I'm pretty sure it will kick over, I know it SHOULD do it for down shifting! Like if you are coming to a stop sign and you were in 2nd gear, if you come to a complete stop it automatically puts you in 1st gear.
Chogan2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #16
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogan2200 View Post
I'll explain the technology to you a little

An Automatic Transmission with "this" technology (also called "Shift Tronic", "Paddle Shifters", "Smart Shift", etc) essentially the default mode is Auto. You drive the car just like any other automatic powered car, just start it, put it in Drive and go! But if you want, you can put it into "M", which stands for "Manual Mode". You can easily take it out but shifting it back into "D". But with Manual Mode, you can control the gear shifts by tapping the shift knob forward to "up" a gear, and tapping it back to go "down" a gear. So it's really a very free reign technology. If you don't like the feeling of having more control over your car and playing with it you can just simply switch it back into "D" and not worry about a thing! Very user friendly technology!
Great explanation thanks, sound way too complicated for me so i ill keep it on D and just drive
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Chogan2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Great explanation thanks, sound way too complicated for me so i ill keep it on D and just drive

alright, fair enough
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogan2200 View Post
I'm not sure about ALL Brands and Models with this technology but the Mazda 6 I test drove with it installed had a limit or something that would kick in if your revs were slightly too high or too low. If your in gear too high, I'm pretty sure it will kick over, I know it SHOULD do it for down shifting! Like if you are coming to a stop sign and you were in 2nd gear, if you come to a complete stop it automatically puts you in 1st gear.

well i really want to learn to use my paddles. but im a little scared to screw something up. someone needs to post a how to video on here for me
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #19
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Only problem is that if you see how much fun a buddy will have using it, you'll learn it pretty quickly. Auto-X anyone?
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Son, Some people can drive a stick but prefer the automatic......
well old age sets in or people get lazy. . .whatever the reason they don't drive an manual because it's not fun for them anymore.

Last edited by boxmonkeyracing; 07-22-2008 at 12:06 PM.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
well old age sets in or people get lazy. . .whatever the reason they don't drive an auto because it's not fun for them anymore.
I think you meant the reason they don't drive a MANUAL because it's not fun for them any more.
Some guys think driving a manual makes them MACHO.... anyone that thinks that is fooling themselves...
You can have just as much fun in an Automatic.. If you really know how to drive
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I think you meant the reason they don't drive a MANUAL because it's not fun for them any more.
Some guys think driving a manual makes them MACHO.... anyone that thinks that is fooling themselves...
You can have just as much fun in an Automatic.. If you really know how to drive

well I drive a manual because it's fun and if you know how to drive you know what gear the car needs to be in. The car will tell. . .you just got to listen to her. now with an auto it's no fun left foot gets bored and feel disconnected from the car.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #23
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
well i really want to learn to use my paddles. but im a little scared to screw something up. someone needs to post a how to video on here for me
It's pretty unlikely that they'll allow you to do anything immediately destructive. It will certainly allow you to drive along at near-redline all you want, which if you just cruise along like that will probably beat the hell out of your engine quickly.

What are you afraid of? As long as you're vaguely aware of how fast the engine is spinning, you aren't going to hit redline before you hit the shifter unless you are really trying to. Just practice at lower RPMs in normal daily driving first.

Anyway you shouldn't try to out-think the computer for fastest acceleration; you can't choose better shift points than a modern computer. For that, just put it in D (or 'S' if there's a "Sport" mode) and shove the pedal into the floor. The purpose of paddle shifters is when you think ahead and want it in a different gear BEFORE you need it. It won't allow you to downshift into a gear that will blow the engine.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Chogan2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It's pretty unlikely that they'll allow you to do anything immediately destructive. It will certainly allow you to drive along at near-redline all you want, which if you just cruise along like that will probably beat the hell out of your engine quickly.

What are you afraid of? As long as you're vaguely aware of how fast the engine is spinning, you aren't going to hit redline before you hit the shifter unless you are really trying to. Just practice at lower RPMs in normal daily driving first.

Anyway you shouldn't try to out-think the computer for fastest acceleration; you can't choose better shift points than a modern computer. For that, just put it in D (or 'S' if there's a "Sport" mode) and shove the pedal into the floor. The purpose of paddle shifters is when you think ahead and want it in a different gear BEFORE you need it. It won't allow you to downshift into a gear that will blow the engine.
yep....^^^ to prove that point when I was test driving the Mazda 6, I was on the interstate going about 70mph and I went to downshift into 4...it wouldn't let me down shift until my foot was on the brake!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I think it's great that paddles are an option for those who want them. Me I've mastered the manual gearbox finally and get bored when I get in auto. Nothing like slamming in those gears. Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
.... now with an auto it's no fun left foot gets bored and feel disconnected from the car.
That's just because you are not going fast enough.....
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #27
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
I hope I had a slide shift too. not only the paddle because as fun as paddles are atleast the slide shifter w/the + - feels a little more like stick. As much as I want stick Im stuck with auto, welll atleast its an awesome auto!

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote