Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Torque management question

I have a dumb question about how the torque management works on these cars. This is my first car with torque management on it, as well as traction control (mine is a manual btw)

How exactly does it limit the power output?

I went to the track today and when I did a burn out, I get two wheels spinning. When I launched and if I spun, only one wheel would spin. I'm hoping my posi isn't already going out on it.

I messed with the tune a little bit.... it still has SOME torque management in it... didn't know if I should just max it out or what were most people doing with it on the manuals.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
As I understand it, the computer will feather the throttle within a range of the accelerator pedal position in order to reduce engine power output. Fuel and timing may also be retarded, though I'm not sure.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

shit... so my posi is on borrowed time? or is there something else that might be causing this?

I held the t/c button down for 7 seconds and had both traction control and stabilitrak off

Stock Longblock

Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
There is no TCM... on an LS3... Not sure how you would adjust TM

I think you might be speaking of Traction Control....
Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
danhr
BAMF SS

there were values in it on hp tuners?

Stock Longblock

Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
shit... so my posi is on borrowed time? or is there something else that might be causing this?

I held the t/c button down for 7 seconds and had both traction control and stabilitrak off
I'm curious about the conditions...how did you know one spun and the other didn't? Was there dirt/grass or pavement...and did you spin them for a long time, or just a quick blip?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm curious about the conditions...how did you know one spun and the other didn't? Was there dirt/grass or pavement...and did you spin them for a long time, or just a quick blip?
friend of mine told me, as he watched me launch. he heard spinning, he heard the engine revving.... but only one wheel was doing it. and just for a quick moment on the initial launch

Stock Longblock

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
friend of mine told me, as he watched me launch. he heard spinning, he heard the engine revving.... but only one wheel was doing it. and just for a quick moment on the initial launch
It may have just been a slip before both locked up and launched you...not that I recommend beating on a car....But try maintaining wheelspin for a couple of seconds with one guy on either side of the car (safely distanced) and see if the diff locks up. It SHOULD...if it doesn't.....maybe consider taking it to the dealer?

Unless someone with greater tech knowledge in here can pitch in with a better explanation/solution.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It may have just been a slip before both locked up and launched you...not that I recommend beating on a car....But try maintaining wheelspin for a couple of seconds with one guy on either side of the car (safely distanced) and see if the diff locks up. It SHOULD...if it doesn't.....maybe consider taking it to the dealer?

Unless someone with greater tech knowledge in here can pitch in with a better explanation/solution.
on one run i did a decent burn out off the line, and both eventually did lock up.

and ummmm take a look at my signature and tell me again i should take it to the dealer for warranty work? lol

Stock Longblock

Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
on one run i did a decent burn out off the line, and both eventually did lock up.

and ummmm take a look at my signature and tell me again i should take it to the dealer for warranty work? lol
Wow...Missed that.

In that case...if they don't ever lock up, replace it. hehe.

The differential is not a race unit, and the difference in wheelspin before lockup is probably "high", resulting in one-sided spin under quick blips.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Torque management pulls timing and backs off the throttle sometimes, even on manual cars (to address mlee). It's to prevent part failure from shock.

Anyway, torque management has nothing to do with only one tire spinning. If it was a quick instance where only one spun, then I wouldn't worry. If it was a rolling condition where one spun and the other stayed still, then I'd be concerned.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
Torque management pulls timing and backs off the throttle sometimes, even on manual cars (to address mlee). It's to prevent part failure from shock.

Anyway, torque management has nothing to do with only one tire spinning. If it was a quick instance where only one spun, then I wouldn't worry. If it was a rolling condition where one spun and the other stayed still, then I'd be concerned.
Tks... we've seen the Mustangs at the track spin one tire all the way in a rolling condition... Not with the Camaros unless it's as you described...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Maybe one tire just had less traction than the other, resulting in slippage of that wheel only until the rear locked.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Quote:
I have a dumb question about how the torque management works on these cars. This is my first car with torque management on it, as well as traction control (mine is a manual btw)

I went to the track today and when I did a burn out, I get two wheels spinning. When I launched and if I spun, only one wheel would spin. I'm hoping my posi isn't already going out on it.

I messed with the tune a little bit.... it still has SOME torque management in it... didn't know if I should just max it out or what were most people doing with it on the manuals.
Functions like TM, TC, wheel hop, and launch control have been around for awhile

The PCM becomes a dyno in that it can calculate what the torque is under all conditions.
It uses several feedback sensors such as the MAF, MAP, throttle angle, YAW sensor and wheel sensors.

As shown here you can see the PCM can control these functions by control of throttle, fuel injectors, and timing.

These functions can be properly adjusted with a good tune, watch out for the lazy tuners that just turn the functions off as the sensors see what you cannot and also react faster so at times TM can reduce wheel spin and have better drag strip ETs.
Best is to tune TM that best suits your drive style

It also is important that you do not allow a tuner to just screw around with the MAF tables for the wrong reasons as this will then effect what the air mass / engine load is and cause the PCM to calculate the torque incorrectly.

TM will effect how much timing the PCM commands and can effect the torque converter if automatic trannie is used.

This is just part of the values and tables in the PCM that we tune as per the car's makeup, how the owner tends to drive and what mods they have added.

JR-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote