Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Basenji

Drives: Camaro
Vibration from 58 to 68 mph.

Vibration from 58-68.
I believe my Camaro has this issue (see below) and GM is saying this is a normal condition of all Camaros. The tires have been balanced and rechecked. I would appreciate knowing if your Camaro does or does not have this issue please.

__________________________________________________ ______
#PIE0058: EI10067 - Engineering Information - Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel/Body or Seat of Vehicle While Driving at Highway Speeds on Smooth Roads - (Mar 19, 2010)

Subject:EI10067 -- Engineering Information -- Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel/Body or Seat of Vehicle While Driving at Highway Speeds on Smooth Roads

Models:2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Attention: Proceed with this PI ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the PI and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053C for more details on the use of Engineering Information PIs.

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2421444&from=bcpi#ss1-2421444">Condition

Important: If the customer did not bring their vehicle in for this concern, DO NOT proceed with this PI.
Some customers may comment on shaking/vibration feeling while driving at highway speeds (typically between 55-70 mph (88-112 km/h)) on smooth roads.
Vibrations in the steering wheel may also be accompanied by vibration in the body and/or seat but may be more obvious to the driver due to contact with the steering wheel. When the steering wheel is held loosely on smooth roads, driving straight ahead, slight steering wheel oscillation may be visible.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2421444&from=bcpi#ss2-2421444">Cause

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the vibration. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles PRIOR to repair that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2421444&from=bcpi#ss3-2421444">Instructions

Road Testing

In order to provide the best diagnostic information, a road test with an EVA (Electronic Vibration Analyzer) or equivalent should be conducted. Convenient locations for the magnetic transducer are the steering column, the driver front seat track and the trunk floor pan over the rear of the propshaft. If possible, you should record your readings in each location between 50-70 mph (80-112 km/h).
Important: If the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period of time, you should drive the vehicle for at least 10 miles (16 km) to remove any tire flat-spotting.
Important: Be sure tire pressure is set to the placard values.
• Visually inspect the tires and the wheels. Inspect for evidence of the following conditions:

• Missing balance weights
• Bent rim flange
• Irregular tire wear
• Incomplete bead seating
• Tire irregularities (including pressure settings)
• Mud/ice build-up in wheel
• Stones in the tire tread
• Verify that aftermarket wheels and/or tires are not in use.
• Road test the vehicle using the EVA essential tool while driving for a sufficient distance on a known, smooth road surface to duplicate the condition. Determine if the vehicle is sensitive to brake apply. If the brakes are applied lightly and the pulsation felt in the steering wheel increases, discontinue this EI and refer to the Brakes section of SI that deals with brake-induced pulsation.

• Next, record the Hertz (Hz) reading as displayed by the EVA. This should be done after a tire break-in period of at least 10 miles (16 km) at 45 mph (72 km/h) or greater, in order to eliminate any possible tire flat-spotting. This reading confirms what the vehicle vibration frequency is prior to vehicle service and documents the amount of improvement occurring as the result of the various steps taken to repair. If the EVA indicates a 45-55 Hz propshaft vibration, discontinue this EI and follow normal diagnostics in SI for driveline vibrations.

• If the vibration smooths out during the road test, tire flat-spotting is the cause. Provide the explanation to the customer. The vibration is due to the vehicle being parked for long periods of time and that it's the nature of the tire to take a set. You may find additional information by referring to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-10-007E: Information on Tire/Wheel Characteristics (Vibration, Balance, Shake, Flat Spotting) of GM Original Equipment Tires.
If the vibration source is determined to be the tire/wheel assemblies, perform the following:Wheel and Tire Assembly Balance & Road Force Variation Check
  1. <LI type=1>Measure the assembly balance, radial force variation and radial runout. Do not match mount or rebalance the assemblies at this time. Record the values for each assembly and the wheel position. Note: If a runout/balancing machine is used, record radial runout of the tire/wheel assemblies. If one or more of the tire/wheel assemblies are more than.040 in (0.10 cm), this could be a source of vibration. Readings of.030 in (0.08 cm) or less are preferable for sensitive customers.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1355x1221 and weights 18KB. This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1355x1221 and weights 18KB.
  2. Confirm the wheel hubs are clean and corrosion free - correct if required. Re-mount the tire/wheel assemblies and ensure that the wheels are as perfectly centered on the hub as possible. Tighten all nuts first by hand, observing the recommended "star" pattern. Be certain the wheel remains perfectly centered. Fully tighten the nuts using a torque wrench, NOT a torque stick again in the "star" pattern to 190 N·m (140 lb ft).
Important: When performing the second road test, it is not necessary to drive an extended distance to remove flat spotting of the tires.
Once again road test the vehicle and record the EVA values. Note if there was not an improvement in the vibration concern. Contact the engineer below with your collected data. The engineer will advise the proper corrective action at that time.
Basenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Mine does.

But of course I have messed up after market wheels on it.

But, when I had the 21" wheels on it, there was NEVER any vibration.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
i have no vibration
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Basenji

No modifications have been made to my Camaro.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Funny, I noticed a slight shimmy in my steering wheel, but could not feel any real vibration when driving. I recently upgraded to 20 X 9's in front and it got worse. I had the wheels rebalanced and 98 percent of it went away.

I can still see it sometime, but for I cannot feel it when I hold the wheel. I also know it took alot of weights to balance the wheels.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
See my thread about the grooves in the road...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...reeway+swaying
Old 06-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
As pointed out in the service bulletin, the tires can be balanced, but the tire/wheel assembly may have a high or low spot that only shows up under load testing of the assembly. The wheel may have a slight high point and the tire may have a high point, that if they are not offset by the way the tire is mounted, could cause a vibration.

Could just be a bad set of tires.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
mine does as well but again...aftermarket wheels
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
mine doesn't have a vibration

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Mine did that a bit when I had the pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires on there. The dealer re-balanced the tires and it was a lot better. I haven't really noticed it on the summer P zeros.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post
As pointed out in the service bulletin, the tires can be balanced, but the tire/wheel assembly may have a high or low spot that only shows up under load testing of the assembly. The wheel may have a slight high point and the tire may have a high point, that if they are not offset by the way the tire is mounted, could cause a vibration.

Could just be a bad set of tires.
And how do you test for that?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Camaro Kid

Drives: black convertible
I also have this problem. Going on a long road trip this week will have to see if it goes away after a while of driving. Funny because my 98 SS was as smooth as glass at 140mph.
NOW:2014 Black on Yellow ZL1 Convertible 6 Speed.PREVIOUS CARS:2010 black on black 2SS/RS Manual,1998 Black on Black T-Tops SS Manual,1997 White on White with Orange racing stripes Z-28 30th Anniversary Convertible Auto,1995 Tan on White Manual Z-28 Convertible,1993 coupe Black on Red Z-28 Auto.
Camaro Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Boosted IBM

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I have this I ****ing hate the car at these speeds due to it. At 85mph its really bad
Boosted IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Basenji

The runout on each of the tires is much lower than GM's specs. The balance and runout were verified by another tire company.