Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #43
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
My butt Dyno was numb to the wedge as I posted earlier.

But I went to the track tonight and finally got into the 12s. The funny part though is every time I have ever been to the track (three times so far) I have had the wedge. Maybe it has helped me, a real track newbie who stages with his back wheels at times, run respectable even though I still cannot drive.
Congrats Was the DA any better this time?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #44
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
Everybody keeps talking about this, but nobody has been able to show an actual increase in anything other than their butt Dyno.
My average hp and tq increased 12 and 13.5 respectively, most of which can be attributed to the substantial gains below 5500rpm.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #45
V8Addict

Drives: 2016 2SS
I've had my Wedge on for a week now and still think its helping to make the car a bit faster. Yesterday, I took it off to see if the slight whistling/ringing noise I hear at light acceleration was due to an air leak. Everything looked fine and reinstalled it being extra carefull with the gasket. Car still has the noise and runs without any problems. Wondering if anyone else hears this noise.....a few others have posted that they have it also.
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #46
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Addict View Post
I've had my Wedge on for a week now and still think its helping to make the car a bit faster. Yesterday, I took it off to see if the slight whistling/ringing noise I hear at light acceleration was due to an air leak. Everything looked fine and reinstalled it being extra carefull with the gasket. Car still has the noise and runs without any problems. Wondering if anyone else hears this noise.....a few others have posted that they have it also.
Yes, I do. I have tried all kinds of different torque values. I am starting to think the factory angle of the TB was to eliminate that noise!
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #47
Dertyboi
SS1

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS
I've had mine installed for 2 days now and the low end feels stronger. Has anybody retuned there car for the wedge. I read through a couple of treads and the airflow dosent change just the distribution so is a retune needed
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #48
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dertyboi View Post
I've had mine installed for 2 days now and the low end feels stronger. Has anybody retuned there car for the wedge. I read through a couple of treads and the airflow dosent change just the distribution so is a retune needed
On a Vararam OTR intake re-tuning would be a good idea. The MAF sensor is so close to the throttle body that it needs to be rescaled. The other style intakes have the sensor so far away that it doesn't need tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
Everybody keeps talking about this, but nobody has been able to show an actual increase in anything other than their butt Dyno.
Lethal Racing was nice enough to do dynos with and without the Wedge for Rabamaro. The info was posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I almost want to flip it upside down to see if it kills some tq, since I have more than I need already.
Now that I've thought about this seriously, shouldn't installing this upside down take away some HP and TQ? I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go this morning.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 08-25-2012 at 06:57 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Now that I've thought about this seriously, shouldn't installing this upside down take away some HP and TQ? I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go this morning.
Cool, looking forward to that. I'm going out to wash my car before it gets too hot! They are building on the lot next to us and it is filthy!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Cool, looking forward to that. I'm going out to wash my car before it gets too hot! They are building on the lot next to us and it is filthy!
Not sure what is wrong with me, but I hate to wash my car. I rather be wrenching than washing, but sometimes there is no choice. Black car and daily driver was a bad choice for me.

On my way out to the garage to flip the wedge.

She is only memory now.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #51
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Not sure what is wrong with me, but I hate to wash my car. I rather be wrenching than washing, but sometimes there is no choice. Black car and daily driver was a bad choice for me.

On my way out to the garage to flip the wedge.
she's purdy now!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #52
IndeedSS1

Upside down...done

Ok so I just installed the Wedge upside down. My assumption was that by installing upside down and increase the angle even more than stock there would be a loss, if not a big loss in power.

Because of my impressions on a 25 mile test drive, I hesitate to say it out loud. Someone else please try this. I'm going to leave mine on for the rest of the day and then take if back off tomorrow for some type of confirmation.

The additional picture just shows that the spacer opening is a bit larger than the opening of the TB...interesting.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #53
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Maybe that is what is causing the whistling sound, the larger opening of the wedge

I'd be willing to flip the wedge if nobody else does
Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #54
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I think I've mentioned that before that the spacer hole is bigger than the TB hole... The throttle body completely covers the "patented variable radius air horn), rendering it a) Useless or B) potentially disrupts flow and creates a vortex behind the throttle body, most likely why it whistles.

So you flipped it and gained even more power?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #55
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Just my thought but I'm sure Vararam would have tested all possible methods to make this wedge work at its best.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #56
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Guys, I'm all for experimenting, but putting it on upside down? You'd think VR would've determined the optimal placement when doing R&D.

Also, I've been told that when this mod was put on several cars, it leaned them out, and therefore required tuning.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote