Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #29
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss View Post
My wife owns a 2011 cts , luxury horsepower just doesn't sctatch my itch!! Be more specific As far as what track capabilities ? I was only addressing to ur message you posted.
What I meant is they designed the rearend of the Z/28 for track use. If you change that to be beefier for the strip it might effect its performance on the track. I am not an expert, but I would think if the engineers could have made it for both wouldn't they or does it come down to the COPO is for the strip, the Z/28 is for the track and the ZL1 does everything.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
What I meant is they designed the rearend of the Z/28 for track use. If you change that to be beefier for the strip it might effect its performance on the track. I am not an expert, but I would think if the engineers could have made it for both wouldn't they or does it come down to the COPO is for the strip, the Z/28 is for the track and the ZL1 does everything.
Your homework is to learn and report back on different types of differentials and how, exactly, each is better or worse for a given application. It's not a hard assignment, in fact, if you put forth even a modicum of effort, you can earn the adulation and respect of your peers.

Bonus points for discussing the effect of weight (reduction) as it pertains to road course cars, drag race cars and street cars.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Your homework is to learn and report back on different types of differentials and how, exactly, each is better or worse for a given application. It's not a hard assignment, in fact, if you put forth even a modicum of effort, you can earn the adulation and respect of your peers.

Bonus points for discussing the effect of weight (reduction) as it pertains to road course cars, drag race cars and street cars.

The dog ate it!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post
I’ve seen in magazines the HP that the new Z28 will put down at the fly, but I haven’t seen any actual RWHP numbers. Does anyone know where it will be in that aspect, and how much lighter is the Z28 vs. the 2010 SS.
Its very difficult to get RWHP for a car that has never seen a dyno outside of a GM R&D centre. It gets even more difficult to guess when we don't know what the final flywheel power is going to be. All that is official is that the LS7 will provide at least 500 hp.

But personally, I wouldn't be too worried about what a stock Z/28 makes at the wheel. Namely because its just a number that depends on a whole host of factors beyond the car itself. What type of dyno is it, what are the conditions its being run in, when was the dyno last calibrated, is the operator conservative or generous, and so on. So it is entirely possible that one Z/28 could do a few pulls on a dyno and get a reading of 410 rwhp and the owner would think they've got a slug for a car. But if they went down the street to a different shop the same car could hit 450 rwhp & sunofabitch ... their car is under-rated!

As for weight, the target was 100 lbs less than the SS and from what I recall, they have surpassed that goal without too much trouble. So it will probably end up right around 3700 lbs when its done.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As for weight, the target was 100 lbs less than the SS and from what I recall, they have surpassed that goal without too much trouble. So it will probably end up right around 3700 lbs when its done.
That's my guess as well, right around 3,700.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
A lot depends on if the LS7s are already made. Are they building fresh brand new engines in BG or are they using up units already made at Wixom? If new then there may be room for tweaks. If pre built then you are counting on intake and exhaust for better breathing. I think 520 will be tops. So rear wheel not much more than the good ol Z06
Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #35
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A lot depends on if the LS7s are already made. Are they building fresh brand new engines in BG or are they using up units already made at Wixom? If new then there may be room for tweaks. If pre built then you are counting on intake and exhaust for better breathing. I think 520 will be tops. So rear wheel not much more than the good ol Z06
Do you know what the Z06 had for RWHP? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #36
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Mass, and unsprung weight, reductions were paramount, without breaking the Bank. 1LE rear axle assembly (minus brakes etc.) is about 40# less than ZL1...which is about 20# less than the CTS-V.

Typical untouched C6 Z06s range from about 420 to 440 rwhp (different dynos on different days). The "targeted 450" is assuming a good "tune" from the fine folks @ GM...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
The DeLoach 27

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT Manual 6-speed
Lost on driveshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
yeah 18% DT loss seems high. Mine was less than 12% loss. 426hp and my baseline was 378WHP.

I'm betting 445+WHP
Typically it is only a 12-15%, gross h.p. vs. RWHP.
The DeLoach 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DeLoach 27 View Post
Typically it is only a 12-15%, gross h.p. vs. RWHP.
There is no real percentage of drivetrain loss as it's a static figure from stock to whatever horsepower.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
There is no real percentage of drivetrain loss as it's a static figure from stock to whatever horsepower.
Its not a simple percentage, but that is a much more accurate rule of thumb than a static figure is.

You are probably thinking of the power that it takes to accelerate a wheel or drive shaft, and its true that these things take only a fixed amount of power to be accelerated (until you swap them out for something different of course). But the instant that they are up to speed, they no longer rob anything of any power (and they also 'release' power as you try and decelerate). This does not hold true for the gears in the transmission & differential, or the half-shafts going out to the wheels, or the bearings or tire flex any of the other sources of friction. Those losses can be approximated as a percentage of input power, though in reality its a somewhat complex curve that depends on a number of factors. Point being, if you run your car stock on a chassis dyno and calculate that it lost 55 hp ... don't assume that after you've supercharged it its still only losing 55 hp.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #41
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
this will be a 11 second car with the right driver, 11 consistent with a auto swap.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
With an auto swap you might just as well peel the Z/28 badges off while you're at it.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote