Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
respawn

Drives: 2010 Syn Green LE Camaro
Manual Trans -- what RPM do YOU shift?

So I have the synergy green stick shift V6 and I followed the owner's manual for the 1500 mile breakin (I am at 1600 this morning). I minded the 4k RPMs and stayed under on shifting. Well, this is my third manual vehicle and granted my last one was a Mazda B3000 truck like 7 years ago, but I think I am a pretty good driver. I would find that when shifting (especially from 1st to 2nd) that the car would "pop" or jerk back and forth a little between shifts. And especially if I was accerelating quickly. Passengers would say that I didnt know how to drive a manual, but I really couldnt explain why it was doing it. I experimented with slowly releasing the clutch, giving it more gas on release, etc. but seemed to always "pop" to some degree. I thought I was just rusty and it would get better with time, but after a month, I was still doing it.

Alright, so if you are still with me, now that the breakin is over I started in the last week pushing it to 5k RPMs before shifting. WOW. The jerking between gears is just about gone. Seems like the longer I wait (higher RPMs) the smoother the shift is. Shifting before 4K just seems to shift horribly, but the engine starts revving very high above 4k... so I dont want to go long before I shift. Is this normal? Do I just have a car that wants to go fast?

Question to you manual tranny owners: when do you normally shift your vehicle? Please be specific (# RPMs, different between diff gears? ie same RPM for 1st to 2nd as 3rd to 4th?)

Thanks in advance!
respawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm getting on it real hard I shift around 5700-5800
If I'm going for gas milage I shift around 2200 for all gears until I'm up to speed.
If I'm just driving normal....I have no idea what rpms I shift at, I just go by sound.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Rocks RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I normally shift between 2 to 3 when I am just driving. If I want to get crazy and don't have my daughter in the car, I will run it up to 4 or 5.

I also have a V6. I occasionally have the same problem you do, but I figure it is me not getting on the gas enough or off the clutch right.

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Its not about what RPMs you shift at but how smoothly and quickly or slowly you release the clutch in relation to how fast you are going, and shifting. Its just something that comes with experience and can't really be described.

Especially if you are too slow and not smooth with the clutch you will have the problem you are describing. Needs to be just right
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Dack

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Dack
I think he is right. With the spot where the clutch starts to grab, you need to ease lighter into this spot. Your foot is coming off the clutch too quickly and is causing the drivetrain to shock itself into alignment.
Dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
respawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack View Post
I think he is right. With the spot where the clutch starts to grab, you need to ease lighter into this spot. Your foot is coming off the clutch too quickly and is causing the drivetrain to shock itself into alignment.
So, I am "getting off the line quickly" at a stop light or stop line. Going from dead stop to third gear (0->1->2->3) as quickly as possible... I am getting off the clutch too quickly? Because I have a bobbing effect (that I know if I was a passenger would bother me, but as the driver - not as bad) that only diminishes if I shift at a higher RPM...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
[QUOTE=respawn;1769923]Do I just have a car that wants to go fast? [QUOTE]

I totally agree, although I have to admit I'm still in the Break-In Period, so shame on me. I have the same car you do and I have noticed exactly the same results. I upgraded to the camaro from a 5 speed Mustang so I wonder if it isn't also a matter of adjusting to the extra gear.
terry_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I wait til I'm bouncing off the rev limiter and then I still wait until I shift!!

j/k If I'm cruising around town 2-3k. If I'm beating the crap out of the car I redline it!!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by respawn View Post
So, I am "getting off the line quickly" at a stop light or stop line. Going from dead stop to third gear (0->1->2->3) as quickly as possible... I am getting off the clutch too quickly? Because I have a bobbing effect (that I know if I was a passenger would bother me, but as the driver - not as bad) that only diminishes if I shift at a higher RPM...
unless you're at or near WOT you shouldn't be snapping off the clutch. The reason its smooth at a higher RPM is your clutch engagement is keeping up with your acceleration. Even then you shouldnt really be snapping off it, you need to rapidly ease into it, rolling into the throttle as you roll out of the clutch at almost the same speed

I wish i couldshow you this would be way easier.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
I don't shift. I leave it in 1st all time. Gears 2-6 are a waste....OK< just kidding. I don't pay attention to the tach, I ususally do it based on sound....but my guess is around 1500-2500 in normal driving.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
respawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
unless you're at or near WOT you shouldn't be snapping off the clutch. The reason its smooth at a higher RPM is your clutch engagement is keeping up with your acceleration. Even then you shouldnt really be snapping off it, you need to rapidly ease into it, rolling into the throttle as you roll out of the clutch at almost the same speed

I wish i couldshow you this would be way easier.
Sorry, "WOT"? (haha, sounds like WHAT?! but I mean, what is this an abbrev for?)

Ok, so I need to stay on the clutch longer? No snapping? I will experiment with easing off longer as I drive this afternoon... see if it helps the jerking...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
respawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Quote:
Do I just have a car that wants to go fast?

I totally agree, although I have to admit I'm still in the Break-In Period, so shame on me. I have the same car you do and I have noticed exactly the same results. I upgraded to the camaro from a 5 speed Mustang so I wonder if it isn't also a matter of adjusting to the extra gear.

It's funny, I dont even seem to need 6th gear. Really dont even need 5th. I can run 4th up to 85 under 4k RPMs... and I try not to speed much in town.

I REALLY love this car. I can push my passengers back in their seats in second gear very easily. I dont understand these people that post "try the V6 then test drive the SS, you will want the more power". WHA?! I definitely am not lacking in the HP department with the V6. Not WANTING any more. LOL
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Sorry, "WOT"? (haha, sounds like WHAT?! but I mean, what is this an abbrev for?)

Ok, so I need to stay on the clutch longer? No snapping? I will experiment with easing off longer as I drive this afternoon... see if it helps the jerking...
Wide Open Throttle... aka foot to the floor.

I'm not nessicarily saying longer, just smoother, kinda like when you are smoothly turning up the volume knob on your stereo. It will take a little longer to do, in the same way roll into the throttle. Increase the speed on both the faster youre trying to drive. By snapping I mean pushing the clutch all the way in and then just taking your foot off, there no reason to ever do that.

Quote:
It's funny, I dont even seem to need 6th gear. Really dont even need 5th. I can run 4th up to 85 under 4k RPMs... and I try not to speed much in town.

I REALLY love this car. I can push my passengers back in their seats in second gear very easily. I dont understand these people that post "try the V6 then test drive the SS, you will want the more power". WHA?! I definitely am not lacking in the HP department with the V6. Not WANTING any more. LOL
You seem to be forgetting the need for 6th gear... on the highway going 85 mph at ~1500 rpms will give you far better gas mileage than at 4000 rpms. There is no reason to ever shift to 6th on any car just driving around town.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
I have always just shifted when it feels like I should, depending on wether Im just putzing around town leisurely or out on the highway, or having a little fun with her! Generally never below 2000 though
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote