Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Fluid leak/weep around master cylinder

Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 3511744
#09-05-22-005C: Slight Brake Fluid Leak/Weeping Around Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap (Replace Cap and Reservoir) - (Jul 29, 2013)
Subject: Slight Brake Fluid Leak/Weeping Around Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap (Replace Cap and Reservoir)
Models: 2010-2013 Chevrolet Camaro This bulletin has been revised to add the 2012-2013 model years, brake fluid reservoir replacement, update the Parts Information and update the Labor Operation to the Global Labor Code (GLC). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-05-22-005B.
Condition

Some customers may comment that brake fluid is seeping from the master cylinder reservoir cap.
Correction

Important: Do Not Replace the master cylinder assembly to correct this condition.

Replace the reservoir and cap with the parts listed below. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Part #22956543 - Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Kit

Part #22795538 - Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
Master Cylinder Reservoir Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Mine was in 2 weeks ago for this exact issue. They just put a new cap on, not the reservoir kit. I wonder how long it will be before I see more weeping.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Mine was in 2 weeks ago for this exact issue. They just put a new cap on, not the reservoir kit. I wonder how long it will be before I see more weeping.
Not long...that's what they did with mine, and I have to wipe it down all the time. I may explore this fix.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Hannibal

Yea, I expected as much. I mentioned that other people have gone through several master cylinder caps without resolution. The dealer told me that this is the repair that is stated so that's what they have to do first.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I too had my master cylinder cap leak, and after three caps I fixed it my self for $2.59.

Basically what I did was cut out the bottom of a plastic milk jub, and make it the same size as the rubber gasket in the master cylinder top. Trim it down so it fits under the rubber gasket and allow for the three tabs. It has worked for over 7 months. Don't use the sides as they are too thin, but the bottom is just right. Laugh all you want, but my fix worked and even the dealer thought it was cool.

Here is the link to the fix, and it is post #15

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175467

PM me if you have any questions.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Hannibal

This is pretty cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I too had my master cylinder cap leak, and after three caps I fixed it my self for $2.59.

Basically what I did was cut out the bottom of a plastic milk jub, and make it the same size as the rubber gasket in the master cylinder top. Trim it down so it fits under the rubber gasket and allow for the three tabs. It has worked for over 7 months. Don't use the sides as they are too thin, but the bottom is just right. Laugh all you want, but my fix worked and even the dealer thought it was cool.

Here is the link to the fix, and it is post #15

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175467

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks. I was getting very fed up with going to the dealer to get another cap, and I was afraid that the brake fluid would eat through the paint. It hasn't leaked since.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
I found the cap was able to be lifted off the reservoir easily - not tight at all.
'Lifted' means straight up and off, not twisted off
The locking lugs on the cap or reservoir, or both, must be undersized.
Hopefully this R & R will solve the issue
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I like how they call it slight weeping. mine caused pooling under the car. I essentially did the milk jug fix and it hasn't leaking since.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Repaired under warranty - all is good for the moment.

PLUS, the spigot for the clutch line is factory sealed...
Since I did the separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, that means
no potential leaky neoprene cap.

I'm glad I did the separate reservoir - the fluid in there is the
color of dark maple syrup.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Hannibal

Since my SS is going to be at the dealer, and since I'm on my 3rd cap, which is leaking the worst of all the ones I have been given, I went ahead and asked them to perform the work in this TSB. I will report back once the car is back to me.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Hannibal

UPDATE:
The dealer replaced the parts listed in the TSB. It took about an hour to complete while I waited. Everything appears dry and perhaps this issue can be added to the "fixed" list.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Had this on my 2013. The dealer repalced the whole master cylinder and reservior.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
alexpdbz

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM M6 2SS
Anyone know if the dealer will replace this if I am passed my 3 year/36,000 mile warranty but still within my 5 year/100,000 power train warranty?