Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I've had great results with my PC and it is safer than the Flex.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I've been using the Porter-Cable Car Buffer from Coastal Tool for almost 10 years, been a great tool in my opinion.....polish/wax and supplies by Chemical Guys.

Last edited by DARK AGE 53; 06-24-2013 at 04:07 PM.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The terms "dual action" and "random orbit" get tossed around pretty interchangeably. Right wrong or otherwise. Our new video series that will be released soon features a chapter that completely goes thru the different machine types out there and what that means to the user.

The Flex is a true DUAL action machine. It combines two (thus the 'dual') movements simultaneously. The head oscillates at up to 9600 times a minute with a gear driven rotation of up to 480 revolutions per minute.

The Porter Cable, Griots, and similar tools are random orbital... meaning they oscillate only, with no driven rotation. The centrifugal force of the oscillation causes the pad to rotate, but there is no driven rotation, so the speed at which the head rotates is purely dictated by the OPM speed and the pressure applied by the operator.

In essence you can put enough pressure down on the PC or GG to stop the rotation. The Flex on the other hand no matter how hard you press it will continue to rotate while it oscillates.

Now - the Flex does have more power than most other tools without the forced rotation, but its not a rotary buffer. The chances of 'burning' or striking thru your paint are still extremely low. So low that it would essentially require you to do something purposely negligent to cause damage.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
I have both a PC and a Flex.I use the flex to remove swirls with fewer passes and maintain the paint with my pc.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #19
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
The terms "dual action" and "random orbit" get tossed around pretty interchangeably. Right wrong or otherwise. Our new video series that will be released soon features a chapter that completely goes thru the different machine types out there and what that means to the user.

The Flex is a true DUAL action machine. It combines two (thus the 'dual') movements simultaneously. The head oscillates at up to 9600 times a minute with a gear driven rotation of up to 480 revolutions per minute.

The Porter Cable, Griots, and similar tools are random orbital... meaning they oscillate only, with no driven rotation. The centripetal force of the oscillation causes the pad to rotate, but there is no driven rotation, so the speed at which the head rotates is purely dictated by the OPM speed and the pressure applied by the operator.

In essence you can put enough pressure down on the PC or GG to stop the rotation. The Flex on the other hand no matter how hard you press it will continue to rotate while it oscillates.

Now - the Flex does have more power than most other tools without the forced rotation, but its not a rotary buffer. The chances of 'burning' or striking thru your paint are still extremely low. So low that it would essentially require you to do something purposely negligent to cause damage.

Interesting . . . I've been using the PC for years now and have been happy with it but may look into trying something new.

And Dylan since I'm a nerdy physicist I had to fix your language . . . centrifugal force is a fictional force perceived by an object in circular motion (think of the the carnival rides where you spin in a vertical cylinder and the floor drops out - it FEELS like you're being pressed against the wall; however, the only forces acting on you are the CENTRIPETAL force (in this case a normal force that points towards the center of the circle) provided by the wall of the cylinder forcing you to undergo circular motion, the force of static friction and gravity).

Sorry. You can flame me now for being a dork.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
i heard rupes is also good.

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession

2010 Camaro V6 1LT | Kooks Catback Exhaust + MBRP exhaust tips | TF3 Stripes | GM Transformers Emblem and Door Sill | Stillen splitter | GMX rear diffuser | K&N CAI | Pulstar iridium spark plugs. | Gm High Wing Spoiler | BBK LT Headers | BMR 4 Point Strut Bar | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | ZL1 Side Skirt | Black Ice-olator | Trifecta Tune |

My Build Thread
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #21
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
i heard rupes is also good.
The rupes is on another level

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
tell me more about rupes, the price gap between flex xc 3401 vrg and rupes (wait im not sure which type) is not much different. like $50 i guess.

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession

2010 Camaro V6 1LT | Kooks Catback Exhaust + MBRP exhaust tips | TF3 Stripes | GM Transformers Emblem and Door Sill | Stillen splitter | GMX rear diffuser | K&N CAI | Pulstar iridium spark plugs. | Gm High Wing Spoiler | BBK LT Headers | BMR 4 Point Strut Bar | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | ZL1 Side Skirt | Black Ice-olator | Trifecta Tune |

My Build Thread
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
Good_Times

Drives: red
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
tell me more about rupes, the price gap between flex xc 3401 vrg and rupes (wait im not sure which type) is not much different. like $50 i guess.
Going to a Rupes such as the 21 after using a Griots , Flex or PC is like the difference between day and night IMO. Having a 21mm stroke compared to a 6 or 8mm stroke it requires very little downward pressure for correction and is extremely smooth. After using other short stroke da's there is a short learning curve to using a long stroke machine . The smaller backing plate off of the 15 will fit the 21 and allow you to use smaller pads you may already have. I have four other assorted da machines that are now sitting on my shop cart while I reach for my Rupes. Next on my wish list is the air operated LHR75 3" machine to replace my Griots 3". I have used another friends LHR75 and it is one sweet machine. So having used various da's and rotaries I have no problem recommending the Rupes machines when you want the best and are going to spend that kind of cash think Rupes.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Carolina_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, 1978 Camaro
I hate being the newb here , but what is the model number of the "Flex" you guys are talking about comparing the PC 7424xp to? The only flex I've seen is about 100 dollars more than the PC. Which is why I was wondering if it would be worth spending the extra money on the flex and if so, which model?
Carolina_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Good_Times

Drives: red
The 3401 is the Flex with forced rotation. The higher price of this unit compared to a PC or Griots is why some are thinking about just moving on up to a Rupes
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #26
Adam's Polishes

We tested the Rupes extensively here, and though we didn't decide to bring it on its a nice tool. I just couldn't stand it with foam pads... with mf it was great, but to say a loathed it with foam isn't strong enough of a word. I wouldn't say it corrected any faster or better than the flex, just took a different approach by utilizing larger throw over speed and rotation.

There are also a few other small quirks to it that I think could be vastly improved on... patiently waiting the next generation of tools to see if they're addressed.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
We tested the Rupes extensively here, and though we didn't decide to bring it on its a nice tool. I just couldn't stand it with foam pads... with mf it was great, but to say a loathed it with foam isn't strong enough of a word. I wouldn't say it corrected any faster or better than the flex, just took a different approach by utilizing larger throw over speed and rotation.

There are also a few other small quirks to it that I think could be vastly improved on... patiently waiting the next generation of tools to see if they're addressed.
did you try it with the washer mod?

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
Adam's Polishes

Yes. Still didn't care for it using foam pads.