Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
ChevyBoiSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
Chevy L99 Auto vs. Dodge 5 spd "Auto-Stick"

Ok, my friend has a Daytona R/T Charger with the 5.7L HEMI engine and Dodges 5 speed "Auto-Stick" transmission. You can throw the shifter in the last Drive and it has slots to the left and right to shift either up or down using their tiptronic technology (Tap-Shift)

This is extremely fun since its right there on there on the shifter sort of like a traditional manual just w/o the clutch. I was under the impression this was how Chevy was going to do theirs... (I ADMIT IVE NEVER DRIVEN A CAR WITH SHIFTERS ON THE STEERING WHEEL)

But anyone dissapointed?? Anyone like Dodges setup better than Chevy's??

(Please dont want the Sarcastic Responses alot of people get around here, im a new poster but a long time reader.)
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
No one has really driven them yet.you may want to ask some corvette owners.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Personally, I prefer the Camaro's style.

I drove a CTS and a G8 GT with the Charger's style shifter...and it just felt..."heavy" to me. Not crisp in any sense of the word, imo. I have yet to drive a paddle-shifter vehicle, but I sat in a 'Vette and played with that version (which is slightly different than Camaro's) and the driver engagement seemed more sporty to me.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
yeah the gear shifting with the selector in the center doesnt seem as fun as the steering wheel mounted shifters from my experience.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
When it comes to transmissions, Dodge always loses.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
jtallen123

Drives: Honda
I've driven both, granted the one with paddles behind the wheel was a Honda Fit I test drove. I must say if I was interested in an automatic I'd want the shifting options properly placed behind the steering wheel. I'm a big racing game fan, so maybe that influences things too. Just my 2 non-inflation adjusted cents.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've driven an Aura with the wheel mounted shifters. It threw me off with the push/pull. I up shifted with the right and then tried to down shift with the left but it up shifted again.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
ChevyBoiSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Personally, I prefer the Camaro's style.

I drove a CTS and a G8 GT with the Charger's style shifter...and it just felt..."heavy" to me. Not crisp in any sense of the word, imo. I have yet to drive a paddle-shifter vehicle, but I sat in a 'Vette and played with that version (which is slightly different than Camaro's) and the driver engagement seemed more sporty to me.
Yeah and i also noticed their is a bit of a delay between shifting like almost a full second.. i guess this is do to the computer actually initating the gear shift not directly from the console itself. Maybe the camaro wont have this delay?

Thinking bout Victory Red 1SS/RS with Matte Black Custom Stripes. Automatic Transmission (L99)
and apparently a $900 dollar whole in my roof.

OHH.. DID I MENTION 24" off THE GROUND?!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiSS View Post
Yeah and i also noticed their is a bit of a delay between shifting like almost a full second.. i guess this is do to the computer actually initating the gear shift not directly from the console itself. Maybe the camaro wont have this delay?
There is a slight delay and it's quite the bummer. People thinking the auto is going to be as fast as an F1 gearbox are going to be disappointed.

My brother has a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the paddle shifters without any aftermarket tuning and there's a noticeable delay between the tap and the shift.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
ChevyBoiSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
There is a slight delay and it's quite the bummer. People thinking the auto is going to be as fast as an F1 gearbox are going to be disappointed.

My brother has a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the paddle shifters without any aftermarket tuning and there's a noticeable delay between the tap and the shift.
Yeah i wonder if people buying the automatic realize that.. And the rumors before about the auto being faster i knew it couldnt be true but still im not going to cry about 22 horsepower which im not going to be able to tell the difference in city driving anyway.

Thinking bout Victory Red 1SS/RS with Matte Black Custom Stripes. Automatic Transmission (L99)
and apparently a $900 dollar whole in my roof.

OHH.. DID I MENTION 24" off THE GROUND?!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiSS View Post
Yeah i wonder if people buying the automatic realize that.. And the rumors before about the auto being faster i knew it couldnt be true but still im not going to cry about 22 horsepower which im not going to be able to tell the difference in city driving anyway.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the 22 hp either.

And I had no trouble believing the auto would be faster. I know it's usually manuals that are faster, but over at the GTO board, most of the fastest guys are autos. Granted they're usually modded cars, but still faster. The list of fastest stock times I believe was lead by a very experienced manual driver. The car was notoriously difficult to launch well so that accounts for the auto being faster in that case.

Although I will say I'm at least a little happy that they're projecting faster times for the manual because that's what I intend to get.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
My subaru legacy GT has both. It has steering wheel shifters and you can also shift down on the stick. They both do the same thing but it is just which you like better. When I want to go into sport mode I NEVER use the steering wheel shifters. I 100% of the time use the stick. The reason is that during a turn it is impossible to use the shifting properly.

I am not talking about a 90 degree turn where you should already be in the correct gear until you come out of the turn. I mean any slight turn of the wheel. You are concentrating on the turn angle and if a grear change is needed you need to change your hand positioning too much and it really hard to do. With the stick you still steer as you would and bang up or down to change the gear. It is just so much more natural.

Its kinda hard to explain but picture yourself in the 10 and 2 position racing around a right turn ( so now your hands are like 12 and 4) and your arms are slightly twisted and try to imagine holding that position while pressing a button or pulling it. Its really not comfortable and to me even safe.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
CHVY4LF
Chevrolet For Life!!

Drives: 07 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
It has both pros and cons, it felt and shifted good on the wheel as in a corvette and i never liked dodge due to the fact that it will only downshift if it wants to. but the downside i have found is that during a turn it is nearly impossible to make a shift while the wheel is turned

Future Plate: PNYHNTR
Camaro of Choice: 2010 SS 6.2L 6M IOM
Current Ride: 2007 Silverado Classic Ext. Cab 5.3L DBM

CHVY4LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Tal

Drives: Old
Well the 6L80 is shared by the Corvette and supposedly GM has improved it's auto downshift times by 70% and upshifts by 50% which if the same improvements are shared with the Camaro should be much more tolerable than the slow manumatics of GM's past. If this is the case I'll give the auto a good look, if it's not I'll take a manual and deal with traffic the same way I always have. But more OT, I prefer the Camaro style paddle shifters over an autostick but either is better than than the wierd push/pull GM's done in past steering wheel shifters IMO.

Tal is offline   Reply With Quote