Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #43
spen5151

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
I experience the same thing with my SS, terrible amount of break dust, of course the front wheels are worse than the rear wheels. After a wash and drive there is visible break dust all over the rims. Seems to be quite common with all SS and now with the ZL1. The type of pads they are using for high performance breaking which do their job quite well are also quite dirty. Price to pay for having great stopping power. I have also heard great reviews about the Hawk Ceramics, will try them when I need new pads. Hope you are all enjoying your cars.

Traded:
2011 Camaro 2SS IOM, RS, Polished Rims, Sunroof, Black Stripes, Hurst Shifter
Mods: Borla ATAK Cat-Back, CAI Intake, Skip Shift Elim, Tint
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #44
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
It's braking, I hope it's not "breaking".
Just kidding but seriously, if you want the performance, you have to deal with the dust. At least they are quiet. Most high performance pads are really noisy.

I assume the balls are because you put something on the wheels to protect them and the material is reacting with it and doing its job so it doesn't stick.

I take my wheels off occasionally and put a coat of Zaino on them.
I don't like the dust either, but I accept it.

The good news is the wheels are so big, I can get my hand and a wash cloth inside the wheels and clean them.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #45
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
The the ZL1 has the worst brake dust of any car I've ever owned!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #46
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyv View Post
The the ZL1 has the worst brake dust of any car I've ever owned!
Yup, and stops a 4000+ lb car better over and over again better than any car you have ever driven
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #47
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Yup, and stops a 4000+ lb car better over and over again better than any car you have ever driven
LOL at the Kool aid drinkers.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT - 109 feet. Over 4000 lbs, no ceramic pads, no high end brembo's. Just regular pads.
http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/g8...iac-g8-gt.html

Camaro ZL1 - 109 feet. Over 4000 lbs, more expensive brembo package.
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #48
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
LOL at the Kool aid drinkers.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT - 109 feet. Over 4000 lbs, no ceramic pads, no high end brembo's. Just regular pads.
http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/g8...iac-g8-gt.html

Camaro ZL1 - 109 feet. Over 4000 lbs, more expensive brembo package.
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html

LOL at the article readers!
Tell me how it works after a 30 minute session at Watkins Glen going into the bus stop after going through the esses?

I can understand buying street pads, but I spent in excess of $500 every time I bought track pads for my cars. And they were NOISY!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #49
mcamisgroup

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I switched to the Hawk Ceramic and am seeing almost no dust after a week of driving. This has cut my weekend wheel cleaning time by 75%. Also, no performance decline (although I don't track it).
mcamisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #50
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
LOL at the article readers!
Tell me how it works after a 30 minute session at Watkins Glen going into the bus stop after going through the esses?

I can understand buying street pads, but I spent in excess of $500 every time I bought track pads for my cars. And they were NOISY!

LoL at not understanding that in real world applications the ZL1's "advanced brembo braking system"; with six piston rears and 4 piston fronts, as compared to the G8's very basic setup and a heavier car still wont stop you on the street any better in an emergency braking situation.

Also you claim I used a magazine, as some sort of backhanded diss to discredit me as if I was some bench mag racer. Look at my avatar and you'd note that I own a SS and a G8. Of which the G8 stops better.

You stated better than any other car in the world, I gave you proof otherwise.

I didn't even get into other cars that would no doubt do it better, even in track conditions.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I noticed a large amount of dust off these as well. However, since I love washing and detailing my cars, it just gives me an excuse to wash and zaino it more.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
I noticed a large amount of dust off these as well. However, since I love washing and detailing my cars, it just gives me an excuse to wash and zaino it more.
You Zaino your car on a regular basis?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #53
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Of course! The more you use it the better it looks. Each time I wash it, new coats of zaino go on, with the zfx additive it doesnt take that long to dry, that and the fact I live in texas.
Best of all, it doesn't static cling dust on it which is what I hated about all the other waxes I've ever used.
I used to only use meguiars, but after zaino, i'll never go back.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #54
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
LoL at not understanding that in real world applications the ZL1's "advanced brembo braking system"; with six piston rears and 4 piston fronts, as compared to the G8's very basic setup and a heavier car still wont stop you on the street any better in an emergency braking situation.

Also you claim I used a magazine, as some sort of backhanded diss to discredit me as if I was some bench mag racer. Look at my avatar and you'd note that I own a SS and a G8. Of which the G8 stops better.

You stated better than any other car in the world, I gave you proof otherwise.

I didn't even get into other cars that would no doubt do it better, even in track conditions.

I think maybe it was you that started with the wise cracks with the Kool Aid drinking. You could carry your same argument about everything on the ZL1 as well as the G8 and the SS for that matter. You don't need any of it on the street. If you are talking about basic transportation than we don't need 200, 300 or 580 HP.

The ZL1 was engineered and designed as a track car. You have to be consistent and repeatable lap after lap. I'll meet you at Watkins Glen with your G8 and we'll see if the Brembo's make a difference.

That is the point you are missing I think.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #55
stavros

Drives: 2012 zl1
i did a track day monday if felt no fade and early on i was on there fairly hard, my wife took a video with her phone on last session, as you will see i was being easy on the brakes at end of day , if start taking this to track regularly they need drilled rotors and high end pads, these rotors where at least 1200 degrees
stavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #56
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
Of course! The more you use it the better it looks. Each time I wash it, new coats of zaino go on, with the zfx additive it doesnt take that long to dry, that and the fact I live in texas.
Best of all, it doesn't static cling dust on it which is what I hated about all the other waxes I've ever used.
I used to only use meguiars, but after zaino, i'll never go back.
I love the fact that Zaino is anti static also, but I never used it more than once every two months tops. Its just so durable, and it does carry a tad more cost than traditional waxing. Are you stripping the old Zaino off each time also?