Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Zynon

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS - V6 Manual
2010 Camaro is broken, dealer has had it almost a week and no diagnosis

My 2010 Camaro LS (Manual 75k), died on the highway a week before Sunday night. I had it towed to the nearest shop, who told me after two work days they couldn't fix it. So I had it towed to the dealer, who has had it since last Thursday morning. I had them leave the new spark plugs (Autolite) in because they needed to be changed anyway.

Aside from the fact that I constantly have to bug them for an update on how things are going, here we are almost a week later and they still haven't told me what's wrong, let alone given me an estimate of how much it'll be to fix. It didn't have any spark when it died and as such gas ended up in the oil, and apparently in the last work day they're looking at the spark plugs and removing the oil. But I guess it's at least running on two cylinders at the moment? (I imagine it drying out sitting idle for days might have helped)

It started as a misfire that progressed into not starting at all. I had another dealer look at it a few months ago when the check engine light came on briefly and they told me they couldn't recreate it, and something about the codes didn't tell them anything. The check engine light didn't come back and the misfire didn't either until the day it died.

This dealer seems like they want to change the spark plugs again just because of the brand. This already has me on edge.

Basically I'm quite irate and wonder what the heck is going on that they can't at least give me an idea of what needs to be fixed in a week, or at least offer me a car in the interim so I can get to work. Never mind the fact that I have to pester them to talk to me. Do I have any recourse? I don't know how many hours they've spent "diagnosing" this. It's quite ridiculous at this point. I've not had any serious issues with this car prior.

Edit: Series of car symptoms the day it broke down
1. Check engine light, feels like misfire (this happened once before months ago, dealer couldn't recreate)
2. Unable to accelerate over 40mph (trying to get it home)
3. Won't start or run (didn't make it lol)

Last edited by Zynon; 09-03-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Series of events
Zynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Your "recourse" would be to take it to a different dealer if you're this unhappy.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Contact one of the Chevy reps on here
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zynon View Post
My 2010 Camaro LS (Manual 75k), died on the highway a week before Sunday night. I had it towed to the nearest shop, who told me after two work days they couldn't fix it. So I had it towed to the dealer, who has had it since last Thursday morning. I had them leave the new spark plugs (Autolite) in because they needed to be changed anyway.

Aside from the fact that I constantly have to bug them for an update on how things are going, here we are almost a week later and they still haven't told me what's wrong, let alone given me an estimate of how much it'll be to fix. It didn't have any spark when it died and as such gas ended up in the oil, and apparently in the last work day they're looking at the spark plugs and removing the oil. But I guess it's at least running on two cylinders at the moment? (I imagine it drying out sitting idle for days might have helped)

It started as a misfire that progressed into not starting at all. I had another dealer look at it a few months ago when the check engine light came on briefly and they told me they couldn't recreate it, and something about the codes didn't tell them anything. The check engine light didn't come back and the misfire didn't either until the day it died.

This dealer seems like they want to change the spark plugs again just because of the brand. This already has me on edge.

Basically I'm quite irate and wonder what the heck is going on that they can't at least give me an idea of what needs to be fixed in a week, or at least offer me a car in the interim so I can get to work. Never mind the fact that I have to pester them to talk to me. Do I have any recourse? I don't know how many hours they've spent "diagnosing" this. It's quite ridiculous at this point. I've not had any serious issues with this car prior.

Edit: Series of car symptoms the day it broke down
1. Check engine light, feels like misfire (this happened once before months ago, dealer couldn't recreate)
2. Unable to accelerate over 40mph (trying to get it home)
3. Won't start or run (didn't make it lol)
Zynon,

Sincere apologies to hear about your vehicle concerns and displeasure with the dealership. I can definitely see how trying this matter is to you. We are able to reach out to the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your GM dealer for more information if you feel additional assistance is needed. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or if you simply want your experience(s) officially documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
Nearly sounds like it's gone into limp mode for some reason, if won't go over 40mph
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Zynon

The things that were checked by the first shop:
Spark Plugs
Fuel pump
Mass/flow sensor
Crank Sensor
O2 Sensor
(sensors were removed individually but not in any combination)

I called the dealer yesterday, they said they would call me back by the end of the day with an update. They did not. This is what makes me more upset than anything. If you say you're going to call me by a certain time, you call. Even if it's just to say "we don't have an update". It shows the customer you actually care. I told the guy I was trying to plan for work and all of that since not having a car is quite inconvenient and the Camaro is my daily driver (yes, in upstate NY. We can talk about winters later lol)

William, I will be contacting you about whatever documenting/escalations are possible. It's been a week now, and I still have no idea when I might see my car again.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Did the first dealer tell you the code was? Second, what autolite plugs are you using (and why)? And last, for me, (not to be rude) the more someone pesters me when Im trying to do my job, the longer its going to take me. Let them do their job. I know some of you think these guys/gals are suppose to have magic powers...but its a process of elimination... just like anyone else. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Zynon

The Autolite plugs were what the first shop put in there. That's the only reason they are in there. I'd rather not pay another hour of labor plug plugs, since that's something my friends and I can do.

I'm not pestering them. Calling once (or less) per business day is perfectly reasonable. My issue is when they say they are going to call me, or they say they are going to do something, and then don't do it.

I don't expect them to have magic powers. But I do expect something more than what has happened in a week. I'm not an unreasonable customer.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
You aren't too far from me, what dealership is this? PM me if you'd prefer not to post it publicly. I've been very happy with O'Connor in Henrietta, but obviously it isn't convenient to get it towed out of wherever it is now and towed over there.

I'd let them go ahead and change the plugs - even if you don't think they are part of the problem then you have known good spec plugs and they can be eliminated from the troubleshooting process. The rest should be covered by your engine / drivetrain warranty then, correct?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
The Autolite plugs were what the first shop put in there. That's the only reason they are in there. I'd rather not pay another hour of labor plug plugs, since that's something my friends and I can do.

I'm not pestering them. Calling once (or less) per business day is perfectly reasonable. My issue is when they say they are going to call me, or they say they are going to do something, and then don't do it.

I don't expect them to have magic powers. But I do expect something more than what has happened in a week. I'm not an unreasonable customer.
I understand if they tell you they will call and dont. Im sorry, but to me, calling once a day is too much. But I digress. I agree with Flashpoint...let them replace the plugs....and most likely the repairs should be covered under warranty.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
MonteSS

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I understand if they tell you they will call and dont. Im sorry, but to me, calling once a day is too much..
Respectfully, have you ever worked in customer service?

Sometimes the missed call can happen and that's okay on its own. But if someone's concerned about an update on their daily driver and you're too up your own ass to answer the phone and do your job then you probably shouldn't be in customer service in the first place
MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
... Calling once (or less) per business day is perfectly reasonable....
That IS perfectly reasonable. Calling every 30 minutes would not be, but once per day is only being vigilant. NOT calling once per day, to a business that does NOT seem to be able to keep a promise and call the customer back, is how to prevent, "Oh, oops, we fixed it two Thursdays ago, but forgot to call you..."

I'd be pissed as hell, too, if they were taking this long, and don't even have a diagnosis yet. So they are not miracle workers: They SHOULD be able to provide a diagnosis pretty close to immediately, and at a minimum, should be calling to let the customer know what is going on. Inaction and silence--- together--- are signs of a lousy business practice.

I once had a "one- week" estimate for a car repair take two months. The only recourse is to never return to crappy establishments like that, and to spread the gospel, so that others can avoid them, and, hopefully, this eventually leads to enough loss of business that they can't keep their freakin' doors open.... leaving the market open for businesses that DO perform decent work.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I understand if they tell you they will call and dont. Im sorry, but to me, calling once a day is too much. But I digress. I agree with Flashpoint...let them replace the plugs....and most likely the repairs should be covered under warranty.
I want to know where you guys are getting your warranties? He said it was a 2010 which means he should've bought it in 09. Now that means, his car is OUT of warranty if it was bought before Sept. 2009 UNLESS he bought an extended warranty which he has not said. Secondly we can say he DOESN'T have a warranty because he went to a local shop rather than going to the dealer FIRST.

That dealership should be calling him EVERYDAY to notify him of whats going on. Especially if he's paying out of pocket for these repairs (which Im sure he is) and wants his car back ASAP. I'd be pissed too! I hate service departments. I wish they were linked to the sales department. I think it'd be more personal since the salesman would be held responsible to some degree if the service department wasn't of much help ect.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Yea, treating a customer like that is totally unprofessional. If there's an issue they should be able to tell you right away or at least give you an update when you ask. Paying customers keep the doors open, not warranty work.

I will say that I went back to changing my own oil because the three GM dealers I normally go to are so backed up with recall work, there's no more walk ins for oil changes or inspections. Earliest appointments for general service were a week or more out.

Tags
horror, service