Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
Lowering the camaro - what's going to happen?

I'm thinking of lowering the camaro - not sure, maybe 1-1.5". I like the lower look, I think it's real bad-ass, just my opinion. My question is how does lowering a car effect the suspension/performance/handling? Is it a good idea or not? How should I lower it?

I don't like the idea of having "bags" on the car but it is a possibility so I can raise it when I need to. I live in Philly (anybody who's been there knows of the potholes - the streets are almost like off-road streets). My main concern is I want to lower it without spending a lot of money, but I also don't want it to negativley affect the performance or handling. For me this car is performance 1st, looks 2nd.

Thanks for you help!

Last edited by seeknay2000; 11-30-2008 at 03:44 PM.
seeknay2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeknay2000 View Post
I'm thinking of lowering the camaro - not sure, maybe 2-3". I like the lower look, I think it's real bad-ass, just my opinion. My question is how does lowering a car effect the suspension/performance/handling? Is it a good idea or not? How should I lower it?

I don't like the idea of having "bags" on the car but it is a possibility so I can raise it when I need to. I live in Philly (anybody who's been there knows of the potholes - the streets are almost like off-road streets). My main concern is I want to lower it without spending a lot of money, but I also don't want it to negativley affect the performance or handling. For me this car is performance 1st, looks 2nd.

Thanks for you help!
The car is already pretty low, much lower in person than pictures show. At 3" your clearance is going to be complete ass... scraped ass that is!

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
TRIXXTERR

Drives: 96 Z28(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
The car is already pretty low, much lower in person than pictures show. At 3" your clearance is going to be complete ass... scraped ass that is!
True.. I Was @ INDY I was Shocked at How Low These Sit From The Factory. I Doubt You Will Want To lower it Once You Get it..

Plus With those HUGE Rims/Rubber you dont have a lot of room to play with if i remember right..
TRIXXTERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
I want to lower it without spending a lot of money, but I also don't want it to negativley affect the performance or handling

2-3" ? do you want it to set on the ground? this isnt a 67 impala now....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
seeknay2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

2-3" ? do you want it to set on the ground? this isnt a 67 impala now....

Not on the ground, maybe a little above. lol. I honestly have no idea - If blackzbandit is right and it is really low then I won't lower it. I just can't imagine Camaro making it really low off the production line. I'll have to wait and see, mabye only 1.5 inches, maybe nothing at all. Not really sure yet!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
haulass350

Drives: 97 silverado
most of the kits are .5 inchs to maybe 1.5inch at the most, with a full kit your get rid of alot of the body roll from the factory suspension, and will be able to corner alot flatter and quicker, steering response should feel quicker too. although you sacrifice the ride quality somewhat it will still be good depending on how firm you set it up but you wont like hiting potholes or speedbumps with it.

this is a different car but heres the only example i can give you, my friend has a infiniti G35(stock suspension) and took it to a autox course instead of his normal car a 240sx(all aftermarket suspension), either way the g35 had so much roll in it the front bumper was scrubbing on the hard corners. but it rides so smooth with normal driving. his 240sx however drives almost perfectly flat around every corner but damn near beats my brains out on the interstate or any road that isnt perfect.
haulass350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
3 inches will give your undercarriage a very intimate relationship with the asphalt that you could do without. I am going to lower mine, but only in the front. It still won't be by much considering how low they are straight off the conveyor belt.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Lex

Drives: 1989 Jaguar XJS w/L98 swap
Quote:
Lowering the Camaro... Whats going to happen
ummm... its going to get lower and the ride quality is going to get worse

2 wrongs don't make a right... but 3 lefts do!
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
if not done correctly.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
blackZbandit

Quote:
Not on the ground, maybe a little above. lol. I honestly have no idea - If blackzbandit is right and it is really low then I won't lower it. I just can't imagine Camaro making it really low off the production line. I'll have to wait and see, mabye only 1.5 inches, maybe nothing at all. Not really sure yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
3 inches will give your undercarriage a very intimate relationship with the asphalt that you could do without. I am going to lower mine, but only in the front. It still won't be by much considering how low they are straight off the conveyor belt.
After seeing it in person I decided I'll probably drop mine either 1", or .5" in the back and 1" - 1.5" (which is realy pushing it) in the front. 2" - 3"?
If you lower it an inch your handling will definitely improve, but as others have said the ride will be a bit harsher - the shorter your springs the stiffer they have to be. Or you could use drop spindles but that's $$.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #12
seeknay2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
After seeing it in person I decided I'll probably drop mine either 1", or .5" in the back and 1" - 1.5" (which is realy pushing it) in the front. 2" - 3"?
If you lower it an inch your handling will definitely improve, but as others have said the ride will be a bit harsher - the shorter your springs the stiffer they have to be. Or you could use drop spindles but that's $$.

Please note that I edited my original post to 1-1.5" - I now realize that's more reasonable. I haven't seen it in person, only pictures. Some of the pics I've seen it looks like you can lower it 2" and be okay. Thanks for all the imput - do you guys have any recommendations for actually lowering it? How much I lower it really isn't a concern yet b/c when I see the car in person I'll know exactly how much to lower it!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
blackZbandit

Quote:
Please note that I edited my original post to 1-1.5" - I now realize that's more reasonable. I haven't seen it in person, only pictures. Some of the pics I've seen it looks like you can lower it 2" and be okay. Thanks for all the imput - do you guys have any recommendations for actually lowering it? How much I lower it really isn't a concern yet b/c when I see the car in person I'll know exactly how much to lower it!
The guys from Pedder's that post on here have a lowering kit in the works, a Stage 1 kit I beleive () but that may be more than what you're looking to spend. You can always go with some Eibach lowering springs which are a relatively cheap and quality fix, or like I suggested before, drop spindles (if they're made for the Camaro) but they also = $$.

If I got anything wrong or left anything out anybody feel free to correct me... still learning myself!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^you pretty much got it right.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote