Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #113
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I liked the old one better. I could never justify the cost for one anyhow. Way overpriced as most trucks are these days.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #114
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I have seen quite a few now and the Chevy front grill is just silly looking. Unsophisticated and obnoxious. So glad we have the previous model. The GMC model on the other hand looks very good.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #115
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I like the GMC version....Chevy is...ehhhh.

My Boss just got a completely loaded Yukon Denali. Man is it ever sweet!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #116
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but now that I'm seeing these on the road, they're setting off my Valentine 1 radar detector!

Every time I'm out driving and come up behind either a Suburban (GMC or Chevy), Tahoe, or Yukon my Valentine 1 radar detector goes absolutely apesh!t on the 'K' band frequency. So now I have to deal with false alarms from these SUV's in addition to all the Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, and whatever other luxury vehicles out there with the different radar "safety" systems.

What I want to know is, if you own one of these vehicles and put a radar detector in the vehicle, would the safety systems of the vehicle constantly be setting off the radar detector?
No one wants to answer my question?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #117
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
No one wants to answer my question?
I'm sure folks would love to answer your question when the "Stop-Sale" comes off the 2015 Suburbans & Tahoes, the recalls end, and when more people get out on the road with them.

I have several versions of radar detectors and, yes, ever since automatic store door-openers became wide-spread years ago, they have suffered from interference.

Radar sensors on cars are going to be even more prevalent than they are now. Collision-avoidance, lane-guidance, and backup sensors will all interfere with radar detectors until detector manufacturers develop frequency-specific circuitry to prevent such false alerts. If they don't solve the problem, radar-detectors will become obsolete.

You can be sure that car manufacturers and the NTSB don't give a rat's butt about radar detector interference. LEO's probably welcome detector user frustration, even in states where they are legal.

Time will tell.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #118
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
I'm sure folks would love to answer your question when the "Stop-Sale" comes off the 2015 Suburbans & Tahoes, the recalls end, and when more people get out on the road with them.

I have several versions of radar detectors and, yes, ever since automatic store door-openers became wide-spread years ago, they have suffered from interference.

Radar sensors on cars are going to be even more prevalent than they are now. Collision-avoidance, lane-guidance, and backup sensors will all interfere with radar detectors until detector manufacturers develop frequency-specific circuitry to prevent such false alerts. If they don't solve the problem, radar-detectors will become obsolete.

You can be sure that car manufacturers and the NTSB don't give a rat's butt about radar detector interference. LEO's probably welcome detector user frustration, even in states where they are legal.

Time will tell.
I'm curious, what's there to stop radar sensors in vehicles to interfere with LEO radar guns?

Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #119
Michael Rophone

Quote:
I'm curious, what's there to stop radar sensors in vehicles to interfere with LEO radar guns?
Police radar units operate on different bands/frequencies than consumer products utilizing radar, while radar detectors scan all bands and frequencies.

That's why I said manufacturers will have to develop better filters to prevent false alerts. If they don't, you'll be looking at the end of radar detector use by most motorists. All cars will eventually emit front, side, and rear radar signals.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #120
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

More of these Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans, and Yukon XLs are hitting the road and I'm still wondering what the heck is setting off my radar detector.

I get the rear cross-traffic radar sensors, but those should only be active while in reverse, right?

Then there's the Forward Collision Alert, but that should only be radar facing forward, right?

I'm thinking it must be the "Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert." According to Chevy's site, it "use[s] radar sensors in the rear quarter panels to detect fast approaching vehicles from up to 230 feet away in the adjacent lane or blind zone and warn drivers of their presence."

I just wish the vehicle manufacturers would publish the frequency range of their sensors so that radar detector manufacturers could us that information to exclude that range.

But then again, when you start excluding certain radar frequency ranges, then you risk a higher incidence of being popped by the police.

Who knows...

Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #121
Michael Rophone

Quote:
I'm thinking it must be the "Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert."

I just wish the vehicle manufacturers would publish the frequency range of their sensors so that radar detector manufacturers could us that information to exclude that range.
Your theory of side radar signals is likely the cause.

There's no need to get the car manufacturers to reveal the radar frequency.
Detector manufacturers can easily read the frequency by measuring it with a radar signal receiver within range of the vehicle.

The only problem will be if the frequency is close to, or the same, as one used by law enforcement.

I recommend posing your questions on a Radar Detector Forum where both industry reps and users congregate with their expertise.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #122
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Is there one?