Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
Eibach springs rubbing stock struts.

Well not sure if any of you followed my post in the Camaro Issues section - see link
anyway the result of the creaking noise was the eibach spring (my front right) rubbing against the stock strut.

So I have to ask if anyone else with Eibach pro-kit springs is having the same issue or maybe mine is a one off caused by hitting the pot hole.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Seems like 99% of most problems are caused by improper installations and things not being tightened properly. If installed correctly there should be no issues.....mine have been on for over 15mo's w/zero problems.

[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/fenemij/DS****30.jpg[/IMG]
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint

Last edited by FEN; 02-21-2011 at 06:50 PM.
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
1. Htting a pot hole should not cause the coil to rub.
2. Is there any chance you have a digital showing the point of contact?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
1. Htting a pot hole should not cause the coil to rub.
2. Is there any chance you have a digital showing the point of contact?
no not yet, but I'll work on it and see if I can get a decent shot.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEN View Post
Seems like 99% of most problems are caused by improper installations and things not being tightened properly. If installed correctly there should be no issues.....mine have been on for over 15mo's w/zero problems.

[IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/fenemij/DS****30.jpg[/IMG]
8 mos. no problems
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Get a pic up so we can see. I am looking at my car now and the only way I can see if it rubs is it not seated crorrectly.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

ok, so I've kept quiet on this for a few days as the sound had disappeared. I wanted to give it some time to see if it would come back but it must be about 5 days now and nothing

I'm planning on taking a look anyway and maybe removing and resitting that particular spring but I'm thinking the most likliest of things that may have happened is that I got a stone or some dirt in there or something

anyway all is well for now
Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Hi! Shoulda made the 59 Diner last night! The parts may have worn down (been crushed) to a point that they don't rub. Be sure to check it with a drop light so that this doesn't create a bigger problem later.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
only issues had were the sway bar connections not tight enough..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPaul View Post
ok, so I've kept quiet on this for a few days as the sound had disappeared. I wanted to give it some time to see if it would come back but it must be about 5 days now and nothing

I'm planning on taking a look anyway and maybe removing and resitting that particular spring but I'm thinking the most likliest of things that may have happened is that I got a stone or some dirt in there or something

anyway all is well for now
A stone could cause a coil pop like noise so that is a possibility. Another possibility would be the stacker coils were not completely stacked and needed some miles to settle in. An inspection may be a better option that a reinstalling the coils. Reinstalling the coils could cause the noise to return.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
BACH
Delving the Ordure ...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS 6M CGM, '94 Z-71
I just looked at these with Paul in my garage. The rubbing is at the lower part of the spring where it is touching the metal plate mounted to the strut when it compresses (see photo).

This is happening on both sides, but the springs seem to be seated right - there wasn't much play to move it around and we had the wieght off the suspension. The rubber seat is aligned well on the metal plate and the spring pigtail sits perfectly in the groove against the stop.

Paul can post more/better pics. I'm stumped. Anyone know what to do?
Attached Images

My journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164741
BACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACH View Post
I just looked at these with Paul in my garage. The rubbing is at the lower part of the spring where it is touching the metal plate mounted to the strut when it compresses (see photo).

This is happening on both sides, but the springs seem to be seated right - there wasn't much play to move it around and we had the wieght off the suspension. The rubber seat is aligned well on the metal plate and the spring pigtail sits perfectly in the groove against the stop.

Paul can post more/better pics. I'm stumped. Anyone know what to do?
thanks for your help again Robert.

Here are a few other photos we took:
I think these were the drivers side looking at the orientation - both sides had almost identical rubbing marks although to date I have only heard noises from the front passenger side. I almost feel as though bending the lip of the base plate away slightly would solve the problem. We greased up both locations after re-assembly and so far no more noises.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
JusticePete

For whatever reason, the lower loop is either too marge or not seated correctly. Here is what you do to find out.

1. Call Eibach and see if they have had an issue with a batch of coils. If you manufacture parts, sooner of later out of spec parts will ship to the consumer. No manufacture ever wants that to happen and we all do our best to make sure it doesn't. That doesn't make us perfect. It only makes us better and reduces in the field problems. Call Eibach.

800-507-2338
Eibach Springs, Inc.
264 Mariah Circle
Corona, CA 92879

2. If you don't get a good response from Eibach. Pull the struts aparts and very carefully reassemble them. Before you reinstall the coils, prep and paint the rub spot of the coils. You could also cover the spots in masking tape.

3. While the coils are out, measure the lower loop and compare it to the OR coil you removed. If it is larger then you'll have good information for your second call to Eibach.

They are a reputable company that will help you sort this out.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
For whatever reason, the lower loop is either too marge or not seated correctly. Here is what you do to find out.

1. Call Eibach and see if they have had an issue with a batch of coils. If you manufacture parts, sooner of later out of spec parts will ship to the consumer. No manufacture ever wants that to happen and we all do our best to make sure it doesn't. That doesn't make us perfect. It only makes us better and reduces in the field problems. Call Eibach.

800-507-2338
Eibach Springs, Inc.
264 Mariah Circle
Corona, CA 92879

2. If you don't get a good response from Eibach. Pull the struts aparts and very carefully reassemble them. Before you reinstall the coils, prep and paint the rub spot of the coils. You could also cover the spots in masking tape.

3. While the coils are out, measure the lower loop and compare it to the OR coil you removed. If it is larger then you'll have good information for your second call to Eibach.

They are a reputable company that will help you sort this out.
thanks for the help, I'll try contact them tomorrow.