Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Clay NO MORE!!! Paint Decontamination in a TOWEL!!!!

The Speedy Surface Prep Towel is a new take on paint decontamination. In the not-to-distant past, detailers and body shops used to grind off paint contamination with aggressive compounds, lacquer thinners, and other "aggressive products". Anybody who has tried to grind off contamination knows not only how inefficent this process is (and the fact you are creating necessary follow up polishing steps) but also how much paint or clear coat is needlessly being wasted.

Enter Detailing Clay, which first introduced in the 1980s, which offered a new, less aggressive, and more focused take on paint decontamination. Clay, because it floats above the surface, focuses its abrasion on the contamination itself.

The Ultima Elastrafoam Paint Cleaning system (and subsequent copies) replaced clay with a abrasive rubber coated foam block, which, much like clay, cleaned off contamination when rubbed against the paint. Compared to clay, this foam had several advantages.
  • You could rinse it off after dropping
  • It could be used over and over again
  • Longer effective life then most clays

That new take on paint decontamination technology has led to our latest offering, the Speedy Surface Prep towel.

More Than Meets The Eye

At first glimpse the towel appears to be nothing more than a soft microfiber that has been sprayed by some type of rubberized coating like plasti-dip. But this would be like saying that detailing clay is no more engineered than Play-Doh.

The black coating is actually engineered with polymerized rubber technology that, much like clay, focuses on abrading and lifting the surface contamination.

Procedure

Always inspect your finish first. Wash and dry your vehicle thoroughly. Then using either your bare hand or your hand placed in a plastic baggy lightly feel the paint. Using a plastic bagging will increase your tactile sensitivity. This allows you feel even the most minute contamination and can scare you if your paint hasn't been cleaned before.

Use a high quality lubricant. The Speedy Surface Prep Towel can be purchased separately or in a Detailer's Kit which includes the always amazing Detailer's Pro Series Universial Clay Lubrciant. In our evlaution we found that the Speedy Surface Prep Towel works well with every popular clay lube. I used BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant.

As expected, the back of my Mazda exhibited the most amount of bonded surface contamination. A few light squeezes of the easy-pull trigger coated the surface in sufficient lubricant.

Now wipe the towel across the paint with the coated side down. You can feel the towel work immediately as the rough surface created by the bonded contamination is quickly smoothed. This towel works FAST! Work lightly over the surface until it is completely smooth and free of surface contamination.

Dry with a soft microfiber towel such as my personal favorite: The Supreme 530.

The Speedy Surface Prep Towel certainly reduces the time needed to clay the paint as it quickly and efficiently removes contamination compared to most medium grades of clay.

No Marring

While the Speedy Surface Prep Towel reduces 'clay time' considerably, does it create surface scratches and marring (as some professional grade aggressive detailing clay bars do)?

Here is a picture of my hood, which is mostly swirl free, prior to using the Speedy Surface Prep towel.

Misted with an adequate amount of BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant...

The towel in action... I used considerable pressure during these photos in an attempt to gauge marring potential.

Wiping up the residue with a Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel

The end result was absolutely ZERO new surface scratches or marring marks.

The Speedy Surface Prep towel is a professional grade tool, even in the 'fine' version sold at Autopia. You should always test an inconspicuous area first to make sure that surface marring doesn't occur. This is true of detailing clay as well. The following tips will help you to prevent marring:
  • Always break in a fresh (new) Speedy Surface Prep towel by using it first on glass, such as your windows. This will knock down any high spots that could cause marring.
  • Keep a rinse bucket of water near-bye. If you feel any contamination build up or drop the towel, rinse it immediately before continuing to clay. Vehicles with heavy contamination will require more frequent rinsing.
  • Use an adequate amount of high-quality clay lubricant.
  • Rinse the towel and allow to air dry before storing.

The Speedy Surface Prep Towel is a new take on surface cleaning of bonded paint contaminants. With proper use it could save you time, money (each one is said to be good for 100 cars), and frustration.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
The Speedy Surface Prep Towel is a new take on paint decontamination. In the not-to-distant past, detailers and body shops used to grind off paint contamination with aggressive compounds, lacquer thinners, and other "aggressive products". Anybody who has tried to grind off contamination knows not only how inefficent this process is (and the fact you are creating necessary follow up polishing steps) but also how much paint or clear coat is needlessly being wasted.

Enter Detailing Clay, which first introduced in the 1980s, which offered a new, less aggressive, and more focused take on paint decontamination. Clay, because it floats above the surface, focuses its abrasion on the contamination itself.

The Ultima Elastrafoam Paint Cleaning system (and subsequent copies) replaced clay with a abrasive rubber coated foam block, which, much like clay, cleaned off contamination when rubbed against the paint. Compared to clay, this foam had several advantages.
  • You could rinse it off after dropping
  • It could be used over and over again
  • Longer effective life then most clays

That new take on paint decontamination technology has led to our latest offering, the Speedy Surface Prep towel.

More Than Meets The Eye

At first glimpse the towel appears to be nothing more than a soft microfiber that has been sprayed by some type of rubberized coating like plasti-dip. But this would be like saying that detailing clay is no more engineered than Play-Doh.

The black coating is actually engineered with polymerized rubber technology that, much like clay, focuses on abrading and lifting the surface contamination.

Procedure

Always inspect your finish first. Wash and dry your vehicle thoroughly. Then using either your bare hand or your hand placed in a plastic baggy lightly feel the paint. Using a plastic bagging will increase your tactile sensitivity. This allows you feel even the most minute contamination and can scare you if your paint hasn't been cleaned before.

Use a high quality lubricant. The Speedy Surface Prep Towel can be purchased separately or in a Detailer's Kit which includes the always amazing Detailer's Pro Series Universial Clay Lubrciant. In our evlaution we found that the Speedy Surface Prep Towel works well with every popular clay lube. I used BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant.

As expected, the back of my Mazda exhibited the most amount of bonded surface contamination. A few light squeezes of the easy-pull trigger coated the surface in sufficient lubricant.

Now wipe the towel across the paint with the coated side down. You can feel the towel work immediately as the rough surface created by the bonded contamination is quickly smoothed. This towel works FAST! Work lightly over the surface until it is completely smooth and free of surface contamination.

Dry with a soft microfiber towel such as my personal favorite: The Supreme 530.

The Speedy Surface Prep Towel certainly reduces the time needed to clay the paint as it quickly and efficiently removes contamination compared to most medium grades of clay.

No Marring

While the Speedy Surface Prep Towel reduces 'clay time' considerably, does it create surface scratches and marring (as some professional grade aggressive detailing clay bars do)?

Here is a picture of my hood, which is mostly swirl free, prior to using the Speedy Surface Prep towel.

Misted with an adequate amount of BLACKFIRE Clay Lubricant...

The towel in action... I used considerable pressure during these photos in an attempt to gauge marring potential.

Wiping up the residue with a Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel

The end result was absolutely ZERO new surface scratches or marring marks.

The Speedy Surface Prep towel is a professional grade tool, even in the 'fine' version sold at Autopia. You should always test an inconspicuous area first to make sure that surface marring doesn't occur. This is true of detailing clay as well. The following tips will help you to prevent marring:
  • Always break in a fresh (new) Speedy Surface Prep towel by using it first on glass, such as your windows. This will knock down any high spots that could cause marring.
  • Keep a rinse bucket of water near-bye. If you feel any contamination build up or drop the towel, rinse it immediately before continuing to clay. Vehicles with heavy contamination will require more frequent rinsing.
  • Use an adequate amount of high-quality clay lubricant.
  • Rinse the towel and allow to air dry before storing.

The Speedy Surface Prep Towel is a new take on surface cleaning of bonded paint contaminants. With proper use it could save you time, money (each one is said to be good for 100 cars), and frustration.
Thanks Todd, very cool! I just returned a NanoSkin to Detailer's Domain because of reports of it marring the surface . . . I was dead set on sticking to clay bars . . . dammit!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Thanks Todd, very cool! I just returned a NanoSkin to Detailer's Domain because of reports of it marring the surface . . . I was dead set on sticking to clay bars . . . dammit!
No problem Chad.

I think it is important to remember that all clay bars can mar paint. The way clay (or the Nano-Skin or The Ultima Elstrafoam or this) work is be gently abrading away the contamination. There is some 'sanding action' that is mostly buffered by the clay lubricant.

With proper care and usage (with any of the above) the risk of marring can be limited or eliminated.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Yeah there may be a larger margin of error for technique with clay bars than with the NanoSkin - it may be less forgiving for less experienced users. It's always cool to see you pro's trying new products but I acknowledge that technique trumps all else - too bad I'm still working on mine!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
This one is pretty cool though since it is both a paint decontamination device and microfiber towel in one. You don't have to have one in each hand. I might actually try this out next time I have to decontaminate in around September.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Zyklon-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
How much it costs and do you ship to Canada?
Zyklon-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Soooo this towel alone takes off swirls?
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
Soooo this towel alone takes off swirls?
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
78RS_to_112SS
Finally back in a Camaro

Drives: was 1978 RS, NOW 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyklon-SS View Post
How much it costs and do you ship to Canada?
What he said above...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Cool...curious to see how this pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Not to be rude but Im gonna stick with my clay bar...
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss2012 View Post
Lol. My thoughts exactly

Sent From My Bertie Botts AXI0M Flavored Nexus
Old 07-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote: