Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
mudchick_alicia

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Question What is this part?

This may have been asked before. I searched but no answer found. This piece is on all the brembo's on my car and I am changing all the rotors and have already changed the brake pads to the hawk pads but on the front calipers this piece sits loose....it was tighter and didn't move with the stock brake pads. What does it do and it is necessary to leave it on?? I highlighted what I am talking about in red its the brass looking piece.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Those are commonly referred to as the "roller skates". They are there to reduce the noise created by the stock pads. Since you have after market pads, I'm fairly sure they can be removed.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
chvyman

Drives: 2SS 45TH,gfx,blade spoiler,h grille
looks like an anti rattle clip.
chvyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyman View Post
looks like an anti rattle clip.
Yep. It is the brake clip. The loose feel is due to the clip being recycled. Track guys re-use the pins and clips all the time. They are also checking them frequently. The preferred procedure is to replace the clips and pins with new pads for street use where the next brake inspection could be 20,000 miles and two years away.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
mudchick_alicia

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for the help......my husband had them on backwards.....lol Not sure how he put both the fronts on backwards but he got them turned around and they fit perfect.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchick_alicia View Post
Thanks for the help......my husband had them on backwards.....lol Not sure how he put both the fronts on backwards but he got them turned around and they fit perfect.
Well putting them on backwards is MUCH easier since you don't have to fight the tension of the clips.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Yep. It is the brake clip. The loose feel is due to the clip being recycled. Track guys re-use the pins and clips all the time. They are also checking them frequently. The preferred procedure is to replace the clips and pins with new pads for street use where the next brake inspection could be 20,000 miles and two years away.
Hey Pete,

I change all my pads about 6-8 times each year (swapping between street and track/autocross pads plus cleaning). Should I change out the pins and spring clips? Maybe at least have a set on hand incase something goes awry?

What do you suggest? Thanks.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Hey Pete,

I change all my pads about 6-8 times each year (swapping between street and track/autocross pads plus cleaning). Should I change out the pins and spring clips? Maybe at least have a set on hand incase something goes awry?

What do you suggest? Thanks.
A spare set is a good plan with replacement once a year. When you are changing out pads that frequently you have the opportunity to notice if the pins are starting to drift out between swaps. Keep an eye on that and you should be good to go.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Avalnch

Thanks Pete. Pins are still nice and tight. I'll get another set though, just in case.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I thought with new pads we could remove the "roller skates"? Is that not true?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Sorry, can't answer that as my stock brakes did not come with the roller skates. There are lots of threads on here about them and removing them, you should do a search.

Good Luck.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Roller Skates and stick on wheel weights are there to add mass and reduce brake noise. They have no functional role in terms of stopping your Camaro. Feel free to throw the skates and weights in the garbage.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Roller Skates and stick on wheel weights are there to add mass and reduce brake noise. They have no functional role in terms of stopping your Camaro. Feel free to throw the skates and weights in the garbage.
Thank you sir! I knew I'd read that here before but it's been a while.