Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Lighting dilemma....I can use your help

I posted this a while ago....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249758

So anyway...I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer on whether or not they'll replace my RS, driver's side headlight that has filled up with water and condensation. The HID doesn't work at all...even with new bulbs...and the halo is getting discolored. My car has 53k on it but it's not even two years old yet. On one hand I can see why they wouldn't replace it (53k) but on the other hand the car is not even two years old and mileage shouldn't play a big part in that happening...plus there is a TSB on the exact problem.

Anyway, if they replace it, problem solved. If not...I need to do something, and buying an RS headlight is expensive (I've seen around $800, so please correct me if I'm wrong and there is a cheaper way to get one) and if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd like to have a new setup.

I thought about buying non RS headlights (anybody know if they'll fit plug and play with no mods needed on an RS?) with dual color halos installed. I don't necessarily need the HID's. I would then like to have matching (one color anyway) DRL halos. It seems like doing all that could be roughly the price of a new RS headlight. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Also, I've seen Spyder CCFL dual halo projectors and the like that are cheaper (ranging from ~$350-650) but I'm not exactly sure how much I'd like them or how nice they are. I've only seen a picture of them on one Camaro on here.

Any ideas or help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Come on now fellow Camaro5ers.....a little help please

Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The non-rs headlights will not work plug and play with an RS car.

Here's a question, have you identified where the moisture is getting in from? Like is there a hole that water gets into? Or does it just happen by itself

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
a few members on here sell refurbished RS headlights...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The non-rs headlights will not work plug and play with an RS car.

Here's a question, have you identified where the moisture is getting in from? Like is there a hole that water gets into? Or does it just happen by itself
Thanks for the info, man. Didn't know that.

I have no idea how the water/condensation is getting in there. It seems like it's slowly been getting more and more. It must be coming in from the front somehow, because I didn't see any evidenced from when I changed the HID bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
a few members on here sell refurbished RS headlights...
Thanks, man. Yeah, I did get a PM from one member who is selling them. Said he could cut me some kind of deal. You wouldn't happen to know off the top of your head all the members selling them, would you? You know, just to cover all my bases.

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Is the halo out as well or only the HID? If it's only the bulb, then you could probably find an OEM one on ebay and just swap the bulb. But I would put a nice layer of silicone around the light just to see if that prevents the moisture from building up. Also, if you only want new sets of headlights you're going to have to go with the dealership because members only sell refurbished ones.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Is the halo out as well or only the HID? If it's only the bulb, then you could probably find an OEM one on ebay and just swap the bulb. But I would put a nice layer of silicone around the light just to see if that prevents the moisture from building up. Also, if you only want new sets of headlights you're going to have to go with the dealership because members only sell refurbished ones.
I tried changing the HID twice and it wouldn't work. Halo is still on but it's dimmer and the whole unit is cloudy.

Do you not recommend going with a refurbished one? Anything I should know? One member told me he was selling it as refurbished because it had a broken tab.

Thanks, man.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
as a heads up when i installed some RS headlights i had the same problem. Found out there was TSB on condensation inside rs headlights. It stated that it was normal for rs headlights to get some condensation in the headlights and as long as the water was not collecting then it's considered normal. If you look at the back of your rs headlights there is a red circle. This red circle is suppose to be some type of film that lets the headlights breathe. Dont ask me what GM was thinking?!? I would think with all the electronic that the moisture will fry some things. Thankfully my RS headlights worked perfect for the amount i had them in and gave me no problems. They just fogged up a few times.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
puertoricanfont

Found the TSB

01-08-42-001H: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines - (Jan 5, 2011)

Subject: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines

Models: 2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-42-001G (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation
2006 TrailBlazer Shown

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity
• May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.

• The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.

If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak
New Style Pickup Shown

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment
• A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens.

• An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly.

• A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.

Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly
Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricanfont View Post
as a heads up when i installed some RS headlights i had the same problem. Found out there was TSB on condensation inside rs headlights. It stated that it was normal for rs headlights to get some condensation in the headlights and as long as the water was not collecting then it's considered normal. If you look at the back of your rs headlights there is a red circle. This red circle is suppose to be some type of film that lets the headlights breathe. Dont ask me what GM was thinking?!? I would think with all the electronic that the moisture will fry some things. Thankfully my RS headlights worked perfect for the amount i had them in and gave me no problems. They just fogged up a few times.
Quote:
Found the TSB
Right on, man. Thanks for the info!

Did you sell your RS lights or something? My passenger light has not had any problems. My driver's light actually has standing water in it, not just some beads or condensation. That was all I saw at first but then when I went in there it had standing water.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Wow, didn't know there was a Tsb for this....really hoping this works out for you and your wallet I'll be out on the lookout for a replacement for ya bud

Edit: if all else fails, contact Maureen at Becky Rodgers, I know she'll help you out.

Last edited by Lil' Nasty; 11-02-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
Thanks for the info, man. Didn't know that.

I have no idea how the water/condensation is getting in there. It seems like it's slowly been getting more and more. It must be coming in from the front somehow, because I didn't see any evidenced from when I changed the HID bulb.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I did get a PM from one member who is selling them. Said he could cut me some kind of deal. You wouldn't happen to know off the top of your head all the members selling them, would you? You know, just to cover all my bases.

Thanks.

Just to answer you, Camaro2LT and 2SSRS (Ofer) sell them, there might be more but these are the only 2 I know of.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
puertoricanfont

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
Right on, man. Thanks for the info!

Did you sell your RS lights or something? My passenger light has not had any problems. My driver's light actually has standing water in it, not just some beads or condensation. That was all I saw at first but then when I went in there it had standing water.
Well I sold them originally bc I was in the middle of buying a corvette but the dealership sold it to someone else. Ended up finding a used ss for cheaper and Instead of buying the rs headlights again I just did a retrofit. The rs headlights only gave me problems a few times. If you got standing water I will go see if the dealership will replace them. If they are that bad the tbs should cover it and the damages . Keep us updated
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Well I sold them originally bc I was in the middle of buying a corvette but the dealership sold it to someone else. Ended up finding a used ss for cheaper and Instead of buying the rs headlights again I just did a retrofit. The rs headlights only gave me problems a few times. If you got standing water I will go see if the dealership will replace them. If they are that bad the tbs should cover it and the damages . Keep us updated
Thanks for the info and will do.