Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Gah!
Proud owner of a 5th gen!

Drives: SIM 1LT w/ Black Rallys
Send a message via AIM to Gah!
328i vs 2010 V6 Maro

Who would win?
Gah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
You should, unless he is a much better driver than you are, or if he isn't stock.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Straight line probably yes but a road course not a chance
Old 04-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
Straight line probably yes but a road course not a chance
Its handling performance isn't that much better than the Camaro. I'd say a road course would be a very even match. Subjective handling feel will place the 328 ahead of the Camaro, but actual measured results are a lot closer. Auto-X, the advantage would go to the BMW because the Camaro wouldn't be able to use its acceleration advantage very much. But on a balanced road course that doesn't really favour acceleration or handling ... I don't know which one to pick. And driver skill becomes very very important on a road course or in auto-x. Give a pro a base cobalt and he could whoop my ass in a ZR1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Gah!
Proud owner of a 5th gen!

Drives: SIM 1LT w/ Black Rallys
Send a message via AIM to Gah!
Thanks for the answers guys. Now I just have to convince my buddy who wants to race that it would be much safer on the track instead of the freeway. Im not willing to risk my baby for a few seconds of speed haha.
Gah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its handling performance isn't that much better than the Camaro. I'd say a road course would be a very even match. Subjective handling feel will place the 328 ahead of the Camaro, but actual measured results are a lot closer. Auto-X, the advantage would go to the BMW because the Camaro wouldn't be able to use its acceleration advantage very much. But on a balanced road course that doesn't really favour acceleration or handling ... I don't know which one to pick. And driver skill becomes very very important on a road course or in auto-x. Give a pro a base cobalt and he could whoop my ass in a ZR1.
I've owned a 335i and let me tell you the handling on that car compared to my Camaro SS is like apples to oranges. Your probably right that the 328i and V6 Camaro would be a close race but I'm pretty sure the 335i will take the V6 Camaro
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
the camaro would beat it for sure in a drag
never drove a camaro yet but if it cant beat it in a drag something is wrong
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
I've owned a 335i and let me tell you the handling on that car compared to my Camaro SS is like apples to oranges. Your probably right that the 328i and V6 Camaro would be a close race but I'm pretty sure the 335i will take the V6 Camaro
Oh the 335 would take a V6 Camaro, no doubt. Better handling, similar power, more torque, less weight. Not much of a question there.

But I have to ask, were you saying that your BMW felt better (well, I assume thats what you were getting at), or was it measurably better? From everything I've every heard, the Camaro feels big and heavy in the turns, and the visibility can make the handling problems seem worse, but at the end of the day it produces respectable results. The BMW (be it 328i or 335i) will still handle better, but the perception gap is wider than the actual gap. And when considering handling in terms of performance around a race course, perception doesn't matter as much. It does if you want to have fun on a mountain road full of switchbacks.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Oh the 335 would take a V6 Camaro, no doubt. Better handling, similar power, more torque, less weight. Not much of a question there.

But I have to ask, were you saying that your BMW felt better (well, I assume thats what you were getting at), or was it measurably better? From everything I've every heard, the Camaro feels big and heavy in the turns, and the visibility can make the handling problems seem worse, but at the end of the day it produces respectable results. The BMW (be it 328i or 335i) will still handle better, but the perception gap is wider than the actual gap. And when considering handling in terms of performance around a race course, perception doesn't matter as much. It does if you want to have fun on a mountain road full of switchbacks.
I have driven a 335 quite a few times since my good friend has one.

The 335 and the SS are completely different cars. They drive completely different and both have their pros and cons. Everything from the break feel to the steering are different.

It really is a personal choice... but they are completely different cars.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
I have driven a 335 quite a few times since my good friend has one.

The 335 and the SS are completely different cars. They drive completely different and both have their pros and cons. Everything from the break feel to the steering are different.

It really is a personal choice... but they are completely different cars.
+1 Like others have said and I have driven both cars because I have owned a BMW and a current owner of a Camaro SS, the BMW is a more refined vehicle. But I love american muscle the power and sound of the vehicles you can't get from a european vehicle
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
The 335i manual stays close to an SS Camaro to about 50mph, then BYE BYE. I know.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
I own a 2008 328i coupe.

The bimmer's steering and chassis are superior to the Camaro SS's, but you absolutely cannot deny the Chevy power.

It takes a more skilled driver to heave a heavier sloshier Camaro around corners quickly, but isn't necessary to do so with the BMW.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote