Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #43
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Do it you won't regret it. I learned to drive on a 04 Lancer Ralliart when I just turned 13 if I could back then I bet you can.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #44
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
My older sister drove my manual camaro home from the dealer. That was pretty embarassing.... xD
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
stalled mine leaving from the dealership, but was able to pick it up within the week and don't regret it!
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #46
gzartman

Drives: 2010 Camaro (Black SS/RS)
I took my son out last weekend and let him kinda learn on my 2SS/RS, he did just fine. He had a little S10 with a 5spd manual and he only drove it twice and didn't like manual shifting so we sold it to look for an automatic for him. Well, I took him out last weekend to learn how to drive in my SS and he said it was easier to lean on the Camaro than the little truck. He is 15 and has his learners permit, I'm planning on taking him out again this weekend to get more time behind the wheel. Oh, and by the way, he had a sh*t eating grin the whole time he was driving the SS!!! LOL
gzartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #47
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
I essentially learned stick on mine (had only toyed with it or had limited driving in one prior to getting the Camaro). It is not ideal but can be done. I think I was pretty tough on the clutch the first 1-2k miles or so and have been making refinements in my technique ever since. But it has held up. No guarantees I haven't created problems that will pop up down the road, though.

It is not an easy car to learn manual on. It doesn't have the smoothest engagement of gears, the clutch pedal is very springy (which I think is great at the drag strip but poor for everyday driving) and the throw is a little on the long side (although easily fixed). The clutch pedal is probably the biggest hindrance and will take a lot of getting used to. Let us know what you decide!
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #48
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
Lol.... I wouldn't dare ask a fellow Camaro owner to let me drive their LS3.
I am talking about buying a new SS for myself... just L99 or LS3 ??

And it goes without saying... no matter which i chose.... I am getting another set of wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires.

So far I have driven my uncle's Pontiac GTO, and my friend's Dodge Neon SRT4 w/ Stage-3 Turbo. Neither of which are easy. I dont really know anyone who doesn't buy performance cars, lol.
I taught Highbeam how to drive a stick in my SS. Its an easy car to drive.

The clutch is not stiff at all, but you do have to find the sweet spot!

Have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icandrivejustnotlegally View Post
Do it you won't regret it. I learned to drive on a 04 Lancer Ralliart when I just turned 13 if I could back then I bet you can.
This!
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #49
ARK Performance

Drives: Corvette C7
It would be nice to have someone teach you in a beater.
If not its not the worst idea to just hop aborad and learn by yourself...
Just as a few other members were explaining. My 16th birthday I awoke to a shiny new GSR integra... I refused to wait for my father to get off work and learned in half a day. Honestly, once you get the timing when to release the clutch you are good, and everything should come naturally.. Down shift/ rev match / Heel toe / peel out etc......

Another thing my old high school auto shop instructor once told me; It will take you the same amount of effort and time to learn manual as it did to learn to tie your shoes as a child. Quite frankly it seems as though it is pretty accurate!

Good luck, and enjoy the throw of the C5!
ARK Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #50
SnowStorm
Jump in

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
If you are learning by yourself, it might not be a good idea to learn in the SS. But, if you have a friend that is experienced and willing to teach you then you should be fine. That way you have someone there to tell you exactly what to do so you don't end up doing it wrong and breaking something.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #51
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
I've pretty much made up my mind to go for the LS3. I'll be sure to bring a friend along for the maiden voyage. I'll be practicing every weekend up until delivery day. Thanks for all the helpful advice guys!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #52
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
I took my son out last weekend and let him kinda learn on my 2SS/RS, he did just fine. He had a little S10 with a 5spd manual and he only drove it twice and didn't like manual shifting so we sold it to look for an automatic for him. Well, I took him out last weekend to learn how to drive in my SS and he said it was easier to lean on the Camaro than the little truck. He is 15 and has his learners permit, I'm planning on taking him out again this weekend to get more time behind the wheel. Oh, and by the way, he had a sh*t eating grin the whole time he was driving the SS!!! LOL
Haha that sounds like me! Im 16 with a permit and when i drive my dads SS i cant stop smiling.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #53
JB22

Drives: 2010 ABM # 2180 2SS M6
I wouldnt consider the clutch in my SS to be overly forgiving, but as others have said. I could never own a camaro and not be manual tranny.

Get it and learn. You'll be fine.

Half the battle is just wanting to learn how to do it.

Be smart and keep yourself out of bad situations.
JB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #54
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
My son had a hard time driving my Acura TL 6 speed manual, but my LS3 Camaro SS was easy for him. Its much easier then other cars I have owned. Piece of cake.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote