Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Tom D

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT
Wheel bearings going bad

A little help please. About a 2 months ago I put in new GeForce 1000 hp axles. And this last week I started hearing grinding noises in rear wheels when making slow tight turns like in a parking lot or turning around. More so when turning right but still in both directions. No noise when driving in straight line though. Does this sound like bad bearings or maybe axel splines broke. Thanks for any help here.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ

Last edited by Tom D; 05-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Sounds more like a cv joint which is part of the axle. Your other options would make noise going straight as well.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Sounds more like posi-unit problems to me!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Has the TSB been performed on the diff? I don't know the number but it replaces the seals and fluid. Mine did the same thing and the TSB fixed it.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Tom D

Thanks for the advice guys. Did the fluid change and seal so good there. Not sure about rear end so all advice is welcome. Going to pull axles out and put stock ones back in to see if the sound is still there. If not these are going back to GeForce. They have a lifetime warranty so that is good. Just can't believe they would go bad after reading all the hype about them. Just need to get new axle nuts for the change. Anymore ideas are surely welcome.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Sound like you need more posi additive possibly. What fluid and was it done at the same time?

Bearings would tick, check by jacking up car and pulling wheel in/out to feel for play. Its something in the diff or one of the axles wasn't seated fully. Axle itself shouldn't make that noise.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
I have the same issue with my left side bearings. The cv bearings i mean. And let me tell you i am very upset to spend almost 7k on a rear and have this problem. I will let u guys know the outcome. So far I swapped the left side 3 times. The bearing seem to be weak in respect to the axles. I have the 1400 hp ones. I will contact the competition to see if i can swap. I am not happy at all. These things are supposed to handle anything u throw at them, and not even 2k and they grind. WTH!
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
A little help please. About a 2 months ago I put in new GeForce 1000 hp axles. And this last week I started hearing grinding noises in rear wheels when making slow tight turns like in a parking lot or turning around. More so when turning right but still in both directions. No noise when driving in straight line though. Does this sound like bad bearings or maybe axel splines broke. Thanks for any help here.
If you want to send them in we can inspect them to make sure you don't have a bad cv joint. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
I have the same issue with my left side bearings. The cv bearings i mean. And let me tell you i am very upset to spend almost 7k on a rear and have this problem. I will let u guys know the outcome. So far I swapped the left side 3 times. The bearing seem to be weak in respect to the axles. I have the 1400 hp ones. I will contact the competition to see if i can swap. I am not happy at all. These things are supposed to handle anything u throw at them, and not even 2k and they grind. WTH!
Got your PM, I'll give ya a call tomorrow.
Not sure if our cv's are a direct swap but we also have our big 31 spline axles with billet cv stars that you could probably change to.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
If you want to send them in we can inspect them to make sure you don't have a bad cv joint. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Thanks
Chris
Thanks. As soon as I get them off I will send to you guys to inspect. I will say you may not recognize them by color since I had them painted RJT between the boots. (yep I'm that meticulous with color). But they are yours and once you inspect you will see that. Of course that is if the grinding goes away once I put my stock ones back in. Will be pulling them off this week. Please PM me address and preferred shipping to your location.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Sound like you need more posi additive possibly. What fluid and was it done at the same time?

Bearings would tick, check by jacking up car and pulling wheel in/out to feel for play. Its something in the diff or one of the axles wasn't seated fully. Axle itself shouldn't make that noise.
This was first thing I did. Every thing seated fine during Instalation as well. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
Feeling the same frustration as you but they are warranteed for life. So that's a good thing. Just hope we can get this solved. PIA to keep pulling the rear end apart.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Tom D

Ok, pulled GeForce axle out and looked into differential and found a round spring. Anyone know what that is for? Don't remember it being there when changed out to the new axles.