Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Why no roots?

Hey guys just curious why are there no roots supercharger options for the v6? Is there a clearance issue? R&D issue? Cost maybe? I know RX was working on one for a while, not that I'd buy one from them if they had one anyway. But how cool would it be for ipf to have a roots option? I may or may not be in the minority wanting a roots or twin screw set up, but the torque would come on a lot lower. I'd pony up and extra grand or so for that.

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Yeah I think it's pretty much the hood clearance. I think a lot of people would want it but very few would want an aftermarket hood.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Clearance issues is the big reason. Tuning is another, centrifugal superchargers are easy to tune since the boost builds with RPM. Heatsoak is another issue, the compression ratio on our engines are already high, detonation would be bad.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
crc91

I had a feeling the hood clearance would be the big issue.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
MagnumForceGB

You can always go with a smaller pulley on a centrifugal to make more boost down low, mine starts at 2000 RPM now.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Haven't heard much about the RX setup for a while, but it might still be an option for some. Hood clearance is the main issue it seems.

Check out my winter project if you haven't already, some interesting experimenting going on there, especially with the compact Audi TVS1320 setup...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379276
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
luckynuts

Drives: 10 ABM 1SS/00 Z28 Conv/14 SumWh 2LT
Is the V6 engine that much taller than the LS3? We're running the old V8 hood on our cars and the V8 cars are running roots blowers without an issue?
Old 12-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynuts View Post
Is the V6 engine that much taller than the LS3? We're running the old V8 hood on our cars and the V8 cars are running roots blowers without an issue?
I don't exactly know the height difference, but I think the biggest part of the issue is that the LS3 is a 90 degree engine, where as the high feature engine v6 family is all 60 degree... If it was a 90 degree v6, it would allow you to drop the blower lower into the valley between the cylinder heads. Since it's a lot tighter between the heads being 60 deg, you have to mount almost any head unit up pretty high to clear the valve covers. The DOHC BS and having such a wide head doesn't help either. See my pic below:

This is just sitting resting on the valve covers... It really needs to come up at least about .75-1" at the minimum to be mounted. And even then, I don't think in that position it would leave enough room for a heat exchanger. So jack it up another 2-3 for that, and oops, now you're cutting a hole in the hood.

I've often wondered if push came to shove, you could make new engine mounts to lower the engine, maybe up to an inch? you'd really have to look at the clearance of everything closely. An inch might be a stretch, but who knows.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
crc91

That's what I was kinda thinking in regards to different engine mounts. The while 90 degree vs 60 degree set up makes a lot of sense though. Thanks for the insight Jason. I'm sure just like anything it could be done even if you'd need a new hood. Probably not much profit for someone to sell something like this. Not that I'd ever trust them but what ever happened to the rx roots system?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
That's what I was kinda thinking in regards to different engine mounts. The while 90 degree vs 60 degree set up makes a lot of sense though. Thanks for the insight Jason. I'm sure just like anything it could be done even if you'd need a new hood. Probably not much profit for someone to sell something like this. Not that I'd ever trust them but what ever happened to the rx roots system?
I'm sure they might sell it to you if you called and asked for it?

I've seen it installed on a few caddys now on the caddy forums... That would be the next logical step to move to after being kicked off of here. I don't imagine many impala, or malibu owners are looking to buy superchargers.
The next big move would be to the new Colorado... There's a slight chance that it might even fit under the hood there.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
MagnumForceGB

You could always skip the foreplay and throw one of these bad boys in there.

You can see how low they sit compared to the LLT.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
crc91

Yeah it does sit a lot lower.
Lol and Jason RX could develop a roots or tein screw for my lfx that give me 600 RWHP for 4,000 installed an I still wouldn't deal with them. But that's a personal thing. Although it would be tempting I wouldn't trust that leech for anything.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Yeah it does sit a lot lower.
Lol and Jason RX could develop a roots or tein screw for my lfx that give me 600 RWHP for 4,000 installed an I still wouldn't deal with them. But that's a personal thing. Although it would be tempting I wouldn't trust that leech for anything.
I didn't say you should buy one from them, you asked what happened to it, and I said where it looked like they had moved onto :P

Magnum, I see you're already shopping around for more Mustang mods, eh?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I didn't say you should buy one from them, you asked what happened to it, and I said where it looked like they had moved onto :P

Magnum, I see you're already shopping around for more Mustang mods, eh?
I've thought about putting a blower on my 5.0, but I don't want to go through the headache again. I think I might just do a Boss 302 intake and call it good, the car drives great as it is.

Tags
lfx, llt, roots, supercharger, twin screw