Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
nyadk5thgen

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 JRE cam & tune
Exhaust?? cat back vs axle back....am i missing out?

Sure this has been bet to death but i could no find thread to answer my questions so......... My car is JRE cammed,tunned,headers,hi-flows etc etc. Question is using the stock mid section, into the Borla Atak axle back, am i not taking advantage of anything that a full cat back would do?? The resonators in the stock mid, are they restrictive enough to be robbing me of anything? The set up i'm running is 2.5"....... what would be gained going to a full 3"??

So, am i missing out on much to be gained there?? Thanks all!
nyadk5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
I don't have any first-hand experience with this but I have read endless threads about it and have not seen numbers that substantiate any gains by removing the stock mid section. You will lose weight by going with something else but that's about it. Ted Jannetty has posted several responses to threads about this and he claims that, on his dyno testing, he did not see any difference in the stock system from the H-pipe back vs. after-market cat backs. The flow is basically the same. I have not read where any other dyno shops have done comparisons on this. Sound, of course, is a different issue. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
nyadk5thgen

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 JRE cam & tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I don't have any first-hand experience with this but I have read endless threads about it and have not seen numbers that substantiate any gains by removing the stock mid section. You will lose weight by going with something else but that's about it. Ted Jannetty has posted several responses to threads about this and he claims that, on his dyno testing, he did not see any difference in the stock system from the H-pipe back vs. after-market cat backs. The flow is basically the same. I have not read where any other dyno shops have done comparisons on this. Sound, of course, is a different issue. Hope this helps.
Thats what i thought but just wanted to hear it from someone else....Adding to that Ted says is as well thats all i need ... Thanks bud
nyadk5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyadk5thgen View Post
Sure this has been bet to death but i could no find thread to answer my questions so......... My car is JRE cammed,tunned,headers,hi-flows etc etc. Question is using the stock mid section, into the Borla Atak axle back, am i not taking advantage of anything that a full cat back would do?? The resonators in the stock mid, are they restrictive enough to be robbing me of anything? The set up i'm running is 2.5"....... what would be gained going to a full 3"??

So, am i missing out on much to be gained there?? Thanks all!
I don't think so...eliminating cats would be most beneficial with your current mods.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
I don't think so...eliminating cats would be most beneficial with your current mods.
He has his terminology mixed up. He's talking about the pipes from the cats to the axleback.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I disagree in that. It all depends on what you want as far as setups, OP, a full 3" will help if your boosted for sure, and if your doing a big cam/nitrous setup.
My boosted truck picked up 27rwhp 33rwtq going from 3.5" to a full 4" exhaust that .5" helped again in a boosted application. If your going to do a nice wild setup it sure will be worth doing.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote