Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
BMR Sway Bar Settings

I have the BMR adjustable sways with the stock SS Wheel tire setup. My front bar is on the middle setting and the rear on the highest. This setup has cured my SS of understeer! Love it.

But I plan on making some changes to my tire and wheel setup and I was wondering if I will need to change my sway settings.

For my winter setup I plan to get a hold of a set of stock front wheels and install 20 inch snows the same size all the way around. For my summer setup I plan to go with 18s also with the same size tire all around.

If I go with these square setups will I need to back off on the rear bar? I do not want to move to inducing oversteer.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Each car will want something a little different. If it was my car I would wait to make any changes and see how the car reacts with the current setup the way it is and if you don't like it you can always easily adjust the sway bars.

Last edited by BMR Sales; 09-23-2011 at 07:56 AM.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Each car will want something a little different. If it was my car I would wait till you made the changes and see how the car reacts with the current setup the way it is and if you don't like it you can always easily adjust the sway bars.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Fraxum

Fair enough. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
Middle and Middle for me. I probably do need to adjust the rear bar.

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I'm middle/middle too. No issues.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I have the BMR adjustable sways with the stock SS Wheel tire setup. My front bar is on the middle setting and the rear on the highest. This setup has cured my SS of understeer! Love it.

But I plan on making some changes to my tire and wheel setup and I was wondering if I will need to change my sway settings.

For my winter setup I plan to get a hold of a set of stock front wheels and install 20 inch snows the same size all the way around. For my summer setup I plan to go with 18s also with the same size tire all around.

If I go with these square setups will I need to back off on the rear bar? I do not want to move to inducing oversteer.
If the car feels neutral now with the current settings (which it should) and you increase the front tire width then yes, you will start to induce a little oversteer. As to how much, it's hard to say. It may be barely noticeable or it may require you to change settings. As Kyle mentioned above it's just one of those things that you will have to test once the tires are on. It sounds like a good experiment to me, keep us informed of the results!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
If the car feels neutral now with the current settings (which it should) and you increase the front tire width then yes, you will start to induce a little oversteer. As to how much, it's hard to say. It may be barely noticeable or it may require you to change settings. As Kyle mentioned above it's just one of those things that you will have to test once the tires are on. It sounds like a good experiment to me, keep us informed of the results!
Thanks. It feels perfect right now. Every time I hit a curve at speed I am amazed. If I switch to square tire setups i want to keep this feeling. I really have to watch my speed though now. I will not get as much break away warning. I wish on and off ramps had hay bales.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Thanks. It feels perfect right now. Every time I hit a curve at speed I am amazed. If I switch to square tire setups i want to keep this feeling. I really have to watch my speed though now. I will not get as much break away warning. I wish on and off ramps had hay bales.
I am glad you are using and enjoying the BMR sway bars! When you do get the snow tires installed let us know where you end up with sway bars settings so I have something to reference people when they call me. It is hard to test that kind of stuff down here in sunny Florida.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote