Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
eyalh99

Drives: 2011 2SS
2012 Remote Start on Manual Transmission

Hi there,
I just seen a remote start on a Manual Transmission 2012 2LT
anyone has some info on it ?
how to add it ?
where to buy it ?

Thanks
eyalh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
wadew2lt
U.S. Army Veteran

Drives: 2LT/RS SGM M6 Polished 20's
Subscribed
wadew2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Viper makes one that works with manual tranny.

Best Buy is a viper dealer. I would check out other dealers close to you also. Best Buy has a tendency to charge too much for installs.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Viper makes one that works with manual tranny.

Best Buy is a viper dealer. I would check out other dealers close to you also. Best Buy has a tendency to charge too much for installs.
I'm an MECP Advanced Certified Installer that previously worked at Circuit City. To the credit of BBY, the price of install is included in their remote start, alarm and keyless entry prices which are reasonable. Where people get confused is that there are additional parts. For example, most vehicles require some type of bypass that handles the transponder anti-theft system, key data so you do not lose a key, door locks, parking lights, brake status, GM pass lock system, etc. That bypass is going to cost no less than $100 and it takes external software to program which will cost no less than $40. If the vehicle requires additional SPDT relays, those must be factored in.

What you get when you purchase from BBY or any other authorized dealer as opposed to an online dealer is the lifetime warranty from Directed Electronics (the manufacturer of Viper, Python, Avital, Clifford, etc.) when also installed by that authorized dealer.

In the case of Circuit City as is Best Buy, i'm unsure about other places, you actually have a lifetime installation warranty as well. If the system starts acting funny or not working, they'll fix it or replace it at no cost to you.

Furthermore, they have insurance so in the rare occurrence something goes wrong and is damaged, you're taken care of at the store level or through their insurance. Unexpected things happen during an install and although they're rare, you want to make sure of it does, installers won't hide it and blame it on you later...insurance prevents that.

Specifically, the install on the Camaro is a little complicated if you're using d2d (data) and a bypass like the Audiovox FLCAN. It is extremely complicated if you try to opt to hardwire with no bypass. Furthermore, the Camaro uses a variable clutch position switch. It is not a typical 12v N.O. (normally open) clutch. To interface with it, all 3 wires at the switch must be cut, 2 relays must be used and 2 resistors in series must be used. I can draw a picture is requested. Failure to use relays and resistors won't damage the clutch system (it runs on 1v-5v...not 12v) but it will throw a CEL. I have the DTC codes it will throw and will post them if requested.

Additionally, all Viper systems used to have manual transmission mode. Not using MTS mode and not locking the feature programming with a bitwriter will cause the warranty on a manual vehicle to be void. MTS mode insures the vehicle does not start before a sequence (brake, parking brake, brake, remote start, door open, door close, lock) prior to the last time the vehicle was turned off. The process really isn't that complicated to set. It's basically a safety mechanism so the vehicle doesn't start while in gear. Not all Viper systems have MTS mode now.

Compatibility starts with the Viper 4104 and higher.

You'll also want to be sure the installation of a hood pin or use of the factory hood pin is included. You don't want the vehicle to mistakenly start while someone is under the hood.

Anyway, I'll be doing my install of a Viper system next week.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Well, I guess I'll stop by Best Buy...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
wonder how long Best Buy will be around. That lifetime warranty might not last very long.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
wonder how long Best Buy will be around. That lifetime warranty might not last very long.
Considering the founder is taking back control...I'd venture to say a while. He will not let his company tank. Not to mention their finances are solid, it's future growth that investors are worried about and successful expansion into other areas.

I'd rather have that warranty and not know what 5 yrs might hold than to have the warranty from Mom & Pop down the road that will go out of business next week.

None of it impacts me personally. I like a big box retailer of electronics if for nothing but browsing and demos. I'll install my own goods.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
2012 2SS
I wanna go fast "mama"

Drives: 2012 2 SS Camaro Black
Send a message via Yahoo to 2012 2SS Send a message via Skype™ to 2012 2SS
Hi EVERYONE first let me say I am in AWEEEE of the knowledge this website has to offer and that's why I am here. I have my 2012 2SS Camaro M/T with only 600 miles on it and when I got back from Afghanistan the second time 3 weeks ago I took it to best buy and they were suppose to do a full install of the Viper 5901 system, smart start & all that + Remote start and the guy said he couldnt install the Alarm sys or the remote start because something about three wires and the wire to something was not a regular wire or something? Please if you can respond and verbally tell me how to install a remote start on a M/T 2012 2SS Camaro I would greatly appreciate it?
2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 2SS View Post
Hi EVERYONE first let me say I am in AWEEEE of the knowledge this website has to offer and that's why I am here. I have my 2012 2SS Camaro M/T with only 600 miles on it and when I got back from Afghanistan the second time 3 weeks ago I took it to best buy and they were suppose to do a full install of the Viper 5901 system, smart start & all that + Remote start and the guy said he couldnt install the Alarm sys or the remote start because something about three wires and the wire to something was not a regular wire or something? Please if you can respond and verbally tell me how to install a remote start on a M/T 2012 2SS Camaro I would greatly appreciate it?
He'd be correct. The clutch is a 3 wire variable voltage clutch. It isn't the usual 2 wire clutch system. That doesn't mean it can't be done...it just takes an extra step or 4 (depending on how someone approaches it). Like I said in the PM to you, I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself without a lofty amount of installation experience so I won't "verbally tell you how to install it". Which Best Buy is it? Who's the installer you're speaking with? The end result may be not to have the install done at Best Buy, or at least not that one, return what you bought and go elsewhere.