Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
Robin

Drives: current car: 01 celica
camaro ss or 06 vette?

I apologize in advance for this long post, but I have no one else to talk to about this, all my friends are import crazy and would suggest that i get a 350z or something. To my best ability I'm trying to break it all down to see what would be right for me, a vette or ss camaro.
Recently, I'm seeing a lot of 06' vettes for about 33-35K with under 20,000 miles, which IMO is a pretty good deal. Although official pricing of the SS are not out, it would be a pretty good guess that it would be around in the same area as a vette, maybe 2 or 3k less. My biggest problem with the camaro is the weight, 3800 lbs, that pretty heavy for me. The vette weighs almost 500 lbs less, and presumably handles better. Not to mention the vette is better in the slaloms, 0-60, and 1/4 mile. For the past 6 months I've had my eye on the SS, but during the last month, the vette has been looking just a tad bit better for me. Practicality is not an issue for me, vette or camaro, this will not be a daily driver(i have a toyota for that). Honestly, I probably won't even push the car hard every time that I drive it, but occasionally will stomp the throttle when no one is around, or maybe if a ricer comes along. Oddly, I know that if I had a corvette, I see myself driving less aggressively than with a camaro. This is mostly due to the fact the I KNOW that a corvette can stomp just about any car (excluding super cars). The car runs like 12.8 on the quarter. The camaro is estimated somewhere between 13-13.3. If it ran a 13.3, I would consider that slow, at least for a SS camaro. Evo's and STI's run those times, and where I live, there's tons of them, and knowing that they can hang with an SS taints my image of the camaro. I mean don't get me wrong, I think Evos and sti's are amazing cars, but...c'mon, were talking about a camaro. Even the last generation camaro ran in the high 12's. I guess more importantly, handling is more of a priority. I know that the corvette handles really really well, even though as Jeremy Clarkson has said it has "Vietnamese suspension." Weight spoils handling and a camaro is pretty heavy. I don't smash the gas pedal a lot, but I do drive pretty fast on turns, not like drifting or anything, but I like to see how tightly the tires grip. Where I live there are a lot of winding roads, and I like to drive on these roads when I'm stressed, and I do get stressed quite frequently. I also believe that a car that handles very well contributes into the fun factor of driving, at least for me it does. I drove the G8 GT not too long ago, and that car felt too big on the road, and I really thought that the handling sucked, there seemed to be too much oversteer for me. I like how the 350z handles, but I don't like the car. Even though I haven't driven the SS, I would assume that it would handle closely like the G8. But god, I sure do love the interior of the SS, it is just magnanimous. The vette's interior is a little too tacky for me, but it doesn't bother me that much. I guess what it really boils down to is do I buy a corvette, which has practically everything that I want in a car, but get it used, or do I buy a brand new SS that is pretty close to what I want. I've never had a used car before so my first perception is a bit cynical. Even though the camaro is not due out for another 6 or 7 months, I would like to have a definite answer ASAP. If I've overlooked any factors that would possibly help me come closer to a conclusion, that would greatly help. Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated as well. I thank you for taking time to read this long post.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
One will be 2nd hand, the other - new. I guess the distinction has to be, which one "does it for you?".

I'd own either - the Camaro is bigger, more muscular and over here in the UK it'll be RHD (that's a plus for me)... but I see your point. I can get a 2006 C6 for £25k...
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Well ... when I read your post, I don't understand your problem: seems like to you, a vette is over a camaro in every aspect of the game! go for a vette!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
Paiko

Drives: Chevy
if you get an 06 look for a Z51 package (suspension and brakes basically) that's about the only thing you'll notice... the other options are really just "bells and whistles"

it is really hard to compare a vette to a camaro... you can get the vette now.... wait a year or two then get the camaro for a really good deal after the hype is over.....
Paiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
I'm in the same boat, i'm more of a camaro guy but a vette will own in every category except for seating. I love both cars so it really is a hard choice, but the camaro's weight made the vette more tempting. I won't be ready to buy until mid next year so ls3 vettes will be down in the low 30's used all day long. You can get the Z51 package or the F55 package(Z06 uses a form of this). You'll be making a good choice either way so get the car that you really want.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
spd98

Drives: had a goat
z06 does NOT use F55, ZR1 does.

The bottom line is that if you want a strait up performance car the vett will ALWAYS edge the camaro. It's lighter, smaller, more aerodynamic, and just an all around better design for pure performance.

That said Camaro is a totally different type of car. The problem is Camaro isn't even out yet. I personally hope Camaro follows the recent GTO in terms of quality and experience. If it does it will be very close to a luxury sports coupe. It will be quieter on the inside but have the balls to take on pretty much anything. The platform is excelent and can be taken to extremes.

the basic decision is do I want pure performance or do I want to comprimise for more room.

Last edited by spd98; 08-21-2008 at 06:42 AM.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
122 more than a Stang

Drives: future 2010 Black RS/SS
Send a message via AIM to 122 more than a Stang
My best friend has a 06 Vette and he let me drive it ONE time. It was one of the best expiriences of my life. the car is just amazing. I'm in the same dilema that you are. i'm just thinking do i want a NEW camaro or USED Vette. i can tell you this though, my friend is quite the driver, and when you're taking an on ramp to a freeway at 70 and sideways..... it pretty much sells you on the vette. but i don't know for sure yet....will just have to wait till march.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
rayainsw

Drives: G8 GT\Corvette Coupe [ gone ]
Camaro vs Corvette ( new vs used )

My Daily Driver ( and only vehicle ) is a 2007 Corvette Coupe.

Couple of additional thoughts:

I bought an extended GMPP warrantee on my Corvette – out of warrantee they can be breathtakingly expensive to diagnose & repair. The powertrain on the 2006 is only covered through 36 mo\36,000 miles. [ 2007 & newer = 5\100,000 miles. ]

The Corvette will, as you & several others point out, likely offer a substantial & obvious performance advantage – as it should, given the ( much ) lower weight, center of gravity, etc.

You can find & buy a used Corvette TODAY. And start enjoying it this afternoon. We are still 6 months at least away from being able to buy a Camaro.

If you do choose to buy a used Corvette, you may first want to research local Dealers – to be sure at least one has a Corvette Certified Tech, and high quality customer service. The ‘Vette is a lot different, in many respects, than any other Chevy. Even how it must be lifted.

Good luck, either way.

- Ray
Enjoying the drive . . .
rayainsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
My dad had a C5 (01-06) now a C6 (07- ) I can tell you the C5 is light years behind the 07. I didn't think you would be able to tell the difference, but the C6 is really that much better.To me the interior is a big let down, but if you could swap the seats for some Recaros or like a Porsche sport seat, that may be a good mod. I would look at an 07 because it still has the LS2 motor. Guys will be trading those things in to get 30 more horse as opposed to going aftermarket. I am pretty sure the C5 did not give you different brakes on the Z51. I know for 07 it did give you drilled rotors and a couple other things besides the suspension.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
NEW Camaro SS/RS Manual.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
rayainsw

Drives: G8 GT\Corvette Coupe [ gone ]
C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
My dad had a C5 (01-06) now a C6 (07- ) I can tell you the C5 is light years behind the 07. I didn't think you would be able to tell the difference, but the C6 is really that much better. . . ..
C6 first year was 2005....
rayainsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I am doing the exact same thing you are, but for totally different reasons. Since I was a kid I have always wanted a corvette, but never thought that i could afford one. Then I Grew up and realized that I live in America....I Love this country. For me a Corvette is something that i was told that I would never get until I retire at 50. But now I see that a used vette is always within reason. WITH ONLY 5000 MILES ON IT! So I started saving money. At that time My brother let me drive his 86' IROC for a few years while he lived in the city, Between me and my brother driving it for 8 years in this town nobody wanted to race it down at the track, If you get my meaning! Now I love camaros......See my dilemma.. Hence my user Name!

Twisties

For your purposes, I would go with the vette. You seem to love the twisties and the vette should do that well, especially since you have no practicality issues whatsoever. BUT...and this is a huge BUT...The new camaro looks BADASS!!!!!!! And i am not good about knowing how well a car handles, because i am all about the straight line, but from what i have read on this website the car should handle exceptionally well.

Interior

I have never thought the corvette had a bad interior, It has a good ,clean, fit finish. But you seem to come from a ...UMMMM...Import family.... on that note I would definitly go with the camaro with an RS/SS package. The interior in that is going to be Sick! Don't believe me then look up camaro interior lighting video on youtube or this link.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bient+lighting

You have a tough decision ahead of you my freind, good luck.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
odie23

Drives: Jeep
I think your last paragraph sums it up: The Corvette has practically everything you want…the SS is close to what you want.

You like the Corvettes handling, but not too crazy over the interior. You love the Camaro interior, but not too crazy about the weight.

Not the answer you want, but I’d say to try and wait until you can do a back to back test drive comparison between the two to decide which one is right for you .
odie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
122 more than a Stang

Drives: future 2010 Black RS/SS
Send a message via AIM to 122 more than a Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayainsw View Post
C6 first year was 2005....
I think the years given are when his dad owned those... not the years they were made.