Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #57
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
OP, that was my worst nightmare back in the day. I would always cut the foil off and make sure I pulled it completely off. Look to see if you can shine a light down the filler tube and see it. You may be able to gently fish it out.

I remember the days of doing my own maintenance and repairs. Oil changes, alternators, heater cores, valve cover gaskets, brakes, radiators, etc. I didn't do it myself because I enjoyed it, I did it because I couldn't afford to pay a professional to do it and I needed my car for work. Now, I take it in for everything.

Having said that, I'd love to find a decent third gen firebird to tinker with as a hobby. Taking my time, doing it right, and not trying to get it bolted back together in a rush because I have to be to work in the morning.
I often think the same thing, but wonder if the deadline to get to work or to the track was the only reason I ever got anything done!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #58
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Did you get it fished out?

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #59
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Ome thing you could try. Kindof unorthodox but use a shop vac with a small nozzle the suction may pull the foil out back through the fill tube check oil level after of course.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #60
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTZ View Post
The difference is that the OP recognized the screw up and is trying to fix it. Take it somewhere else and they could have made the same mistake and not told anyone about it or tried fixing it. Changing oil these days isn't about saving money. It's bonding with you car and knowing that it was done right.
Agreed...
That attitude about the 40k car and having the "peasants" do your work for you belongs in the Corvette forums - It's sucks that our cars cost 40K to begin with, it's pricing the average joe out of the muscle car market. The idea of the American muscle car goes hand in hand with bonding and doing your own basic maintenance and even basic mods.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #61
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I worked at a Cadillac dealership in the early 80's as a helper. We were working on a diesel with the top part off air intake off, and a heavy duty paper rag got sucked out of my hand and down into the intake. We just revved it up, up, and up. Couple of minutes later, pieces of the rag was blowing out the exhaust! Did we tell the customer, NO!
We had a customer traveling through and stopped at the dealership for service. The lead mechanic did a rear end service and forgot to put the oil back in. The customer then drove the car down the Interstate, well they didn't make it very far!
I have too many stories to list. Point is OP, a mistake was made and you know about it. Let us know what the outcome was and thanks for having the balls to say that a mistake was made and you looked for advice! Good luck to you...
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #62
1FASTZ

Drives: 1969 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
While I agree with others about getting foreign objects OUT of the engine if at all possible, keep in mind the idea may be for the OP to get ASSISTANCE in searching for it if the valve cover has to come off.

If the mechanical experience level is low enough to not anticipate the foil incident, then what may be a simple task of valve cover removal to some may be a huge undertaking for those with lesser mechanical skills. Know your limits and know when to ask for help is key in vehicle maintenance.
+1 Well said...
1FASTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #63
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
X2- Buy a $40,000 car and and change your own oil. Makes no sense to me...
The real question is, who buys a 40k muscle car and doesn't work on their own car. Makes no sense to me.... If you aren't helping the guy, no need to be like that.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #64
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Did the OP ever come back to say what was the final result?
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #65
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
No word yet on if he got it out or not... hopefully he found it.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #66
KKM

Drives: xx
The more something costs the more I am less likely to let anybody touch it. That is to a point. If the owner cannot do it it would be nice if someone close by offered to come over and pull the valve cover for him.
Kevin
2013 KTM 500XCW
KKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #67
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
Isnt that foil light enough to float on top of the oil? If so, pop the lid (valve cover).....
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #68
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Quote:
X2- Buy a $40,000 car and and change your own oil. Makes no sense to me...
Yes I took mine to the professionals at my dealer to change the oil and they overfilled it by 1.5 quarts. I ended up having to drain it out and fill it myself to get it right.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #69
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
So did you get it out? Kinda would like to see where you ended up finding it.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #70
1FASTZ

Drives: 1969 Z/28
Yeah, any updates? Hopefully, it has a happy ending.
1FASTZ is offline   Reply With Quote