Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
.Hack

Drives: Ford Mustang GT 2006 MT
Camaro's lineup?

Ok... I know this hasn't been answered yet by GM but i would like to ask what you think anyways (yes you, the ones who knows more than.. me? )

Anyways... we've learned the V8 camaros will have like 400HP and the V6 about 250HP (wich can of course still change) but those are all the number we've got for now, i think.

How will the V8 compete (pricing) against the Mustang GT, considering the GT has 300HP and the camaro will have something like 400HP? I mean.. what Camaro could fit the spot where the Mustang GT lies? those 400HP (and i've read 450 and 500 too) seems like getting to face the Challenger SRT8 and the Shelbys, but what about the GT?

The Camaro's specs sounds great (let's hope those numbers fit the production cars), but GM also said it will keep it affordable to compete against the mustang.. it just doesn't make too much sense to me. A Camaro V8 with 400HP, 6speed transmission and independent rear suspension for the price (or at least close to) of a Mustang GT? hmm... or maybe, "between" (key word) the GT and the Shelbys?
.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
Ok... I know this hasn't been answered yet by GM but i would like to ask what you think anyways (yes you, the ones who knows more than.. me? )

Anyways... we've learned the V8 camaros will have like 400HP and the V6 about 250HP (wich can of course still change) but those are all the number we've got for now, i think.

How will the V8 compete (pricing) against the Mustang GT, considering the GT has 300HP and the camaro will have something like 400HP? I mean.. what Camaro could fit the spot where the Mustang GT lies? those 400HP (and i've read 450 and 500 too) seems like getting to face the Challenger SRT8 and the Shelbys, but what about the GT?

The Camaro's specs sounds great (let's hope those numbers fit the production cars), but GM also said it will keep it affordable to compete against the mustang.. it just doesn't make too much sense to me. A Camaro V8 with 400HP, 6speed transmission and independent rear suspension for the price (or at least close to) of a Mustang GT? hmm... or maybe, "between" (key word) the GT and the Shelbys?
First off, Welcome!!!!!!

And you nailed it. That's the beauty of it right there. All that for roughly 500 - 1000 dollars higher than a Mustang GT......see why we're so excited?!?!?

That ~400hp Camaro is going to do war with and completely spank the tires off even the new Mustang GT () (imho).
Old 02-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Gah, my friend decided recently he couldn't wait and is ordering a Mustang. I can't wait to leave his ass in the dust.
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post

The Mustang GT is scheduled for an update in the near future. and the Camaro has almost always had better performance numbers than the Mustang. Also, the Camaro will likely be a tad heavier. So all that adds up to a ~400 hp Camaro competing with the Musang GT. A point of comparison for the Camaro is the G8. Its performance should at least equal that of the G8, likely exceed it in all categories.

I used to be a doubter, there is no way that that level of performance could be offered at the Camaro's price, right? Well, the more I learn, the more possible it seems.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
so are we looking at about 27-29k fir the bas v8?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
so are we looking at about 27-29k fir the bas v8?
Not sure if you've looked here yet, but basically yes that is the expected range
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2799
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
Emu the Foo

lol, your answering all my questions to nite. reason being altho i make 3500+ a month i have no debt i want to marry my gf but idk how shell take me dropping 40g's on a car. but her dad will be right behind me 100%. i figure as long as i dont feed her dog food he'll support me with any car, let alone a chevy. im helping him build his 51 as we speak. then again i let her drop 30 on a GLI
Old 03-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
You're not married yet. But, if you want to look at it in those terms, she got what she wanted and you will get what you want. That's how it worked for the wife and me. She got her loaded Sorento (butt warmers and all....for TEXAS), and I'm getting my Camaro. She's happy and I'm going to be happy. We agreed. If she says no, ask why...

and then get it anyway!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
Emu the Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
You're not married yet. But, if you want to look at it in those terms, she got what she wanted and you will get what you want. That's how it worked for the wife and me. She got her loaded Sorento (butt warmers and all....for TEXAS), and I'm getting my Camaro. She's happy and I'm going to be happy. We agreed. If she says no, ask why...

and then get it anyway!!
good point. i just want my ls3 or my 400+ horses. but i wouldnt mind dropping 40 thousand. plus im not gonna get married for atleast another 14 months. but i say if i put away atleast 1500 a month ill have roughly 18k plus im gonna sell my caddy. (that will be a dark day, sure cops have given me trouble from day 4 but i will miss ol' murphy) ill go cheap on the caddy since i only bought it with 50,000 miles a year ago for only 900$ since then various mods and ill sell for $3000 and i could have about $21,000 right???

1500*12 months = 18000 + 3000 = 21000.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
yeah... I am suppose to tie the knot in march 09, but I really wanted to push that back anyway... Hmmm. I wonder how she will handle "I love you, but I want a new car and because of that we are pushing the date". HAHAHA
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
^i think you would get in a little trouble...
Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
My g/f works in PR. She's damn good at it too. She's got the whole "if you buy me a ring I'll help you pay off your car. She really wants to get hitched asap.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
you guys are lucky, I'm gonna go into the airforce so i can pay for my Z/28 or SS, which ever i happen to get. I'll definitely be getting a supercharger, for it, and hopefully be able to slay the GT500...

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'm in awful trouble. My fiancee wants a house, immediately. Won't stop talking about it. We haven't even graduated from college, but somehow she has it in her head that as soon as we graduate, we can buy a house. I make decent money at my job, but its not THAT great. So you all should be thankful your spending disagreements with your significant others extends just as far as cars.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote