Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #57
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
He must not have driven many cars.
He drives Jeeps, lol.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #58
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
BRZ/FR-S are really nice cars though, when they put the new 2.0L turbo engine from the WRX in it it's gonna be awesome (and overpriced unfortunately).
Waaaa????

I thought they did away with the 2.0s. Aren't they all 2.5L turbos now? The STi running the old 300+HP Version and the standard WRX running the lower HP Legacy 2.5T engine?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #59
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i like these cars a lot. gotta be a fun car for sure!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #60
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I wouldn't say that those two compact cars are in the same class as Camaros.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #61
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Waaaa????

I thought they did away with the 2.0s. Aren't they all 2.5L turbos now? The STi running the old 300+HP Version and the standard WRX running the lower HP Legacy 2.5T engine?
The 2015 has a new turbo 2.0.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #62
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
The 2015 has a new turbo 2.0.

The new boxer is at 2.0L, making around the same power as the 2.5L but with better MPG. This applies to both naturally aspirated and FI motors.

The 2.0L uses direct injection and new tech to provide similar power ratings to the old 2.5L.

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #63
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
I dont think our car and the BRZ/FRS are even in the same racing class. People talking about the engine and a new one with a turbo. Ok how about the Z/28 vs a BRZ or FRS for comparison. BRZ with Turbo and a Camaro with a large amount of TQ... Is that a fair fight no, is the BRZ FRS a nice car yes.. just not same when you use fully loaded production models of each.
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #64
trademaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Does cost ever cross your mind when comparing a BRZ to a Z/28? Comparing a BRA or FRS to a V6 Camaro makes perfect sense. They can be optioned out to even be in an entry level SS class price wise. I've always asked why anyone would buy a BRZ when they could get a GT or SS for a few grand more.
The BRZ and FRS are way down on power, but the handling is worlds better than a GT or SS. Before anyone busts out the magazines as usual, grip and handling are not one in the same. The BRZ/FRS twins are astonishingly neutral and well balanced. A turbo version would be one hell of a car.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #65
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Does cost ever cross your mind when comparing a BRZ to a Z/28? Comparing a BRA or FRS to a V6 Camaro makes perfect sense. They can be optioned out to even be in an entry level SS class price wise. I've always asked why anyone would buy a BRZ when they could get a GT or SS for a few grand more.
I like you, you like to stir the pot...
For reflection original post is below:

"Scion FRS/ Subaru BRZ
You guys think these cars are competition for our camaro's or are they just in a lower tier? "

I tried to state they are in a different race class. Do I think the V6 OEM Camaro and the OEM Scion FRS are the same No...

The Camaro has the worse suspension OEM. I do believe as far as v6 acceleration both are close. The Scion FRS or BRZ Subbie would do better on a road course because of suspension.

Yes I took this discussion past a line but if you were going for best FRS/BRZ OEM vs best Camaro OEM then it would be a Turbo version of either FRS/BRZ vs Camaro Z28. The original poster did not ask for a specific vs.... Just a general thought.

Funny your comments always have a I know more kinda slant. You may not say it up front but it seems to be insinuated.

Example: Does cost ever cross your mind when comparing a BRZ to a Z/28?

This is an obvious answer and that would be Yes.

You stated: I've always asked why anyone would buy a BRZ when they could get a GT or SS for a few grand more.

I am sure you know why... it is obvious, some people dont like Mustangs or Camaros.

Thank you for your post!!! (in a good way)

Rock On
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #66
trademaster

Quote:
How can you not bust out the magazines? Lightning lap for instance.
By actually driving the cars or avoiding comment on the driving experience without doing so

Quote:

My original point was for the money you can get a much better performing car. (Mustang, Camaro) It's easy to handle when you don't have to deal with 370WHP. But performance per dollar is no contest. Even a V6 Mustang kills these twins in every performance category. I'm sure they are nice car but in my mind their performance doesn't justify their price. Strickly my opinion.
Better is not quantitative, but qualitative. The 5.0 and SS are often faster around track than a Lotus Elise too, but the driving dynamics of the Elise are so much more controllable and enjoyable. Most people that track their cars either don't record lap times at all or only do so to keep tabs on their progress. You definitely won't be the fastest in a BRZ/FRS, but you might have the biggest smile on your face.

Just as a parallel, my car in current form would smash a stock GT3 on most tracks (mostly due to tires), but having driven both I would trade mine in a heartbeat. There is more to a car than lap times and numbers. Nobody buys a BRZ or FRS to be the fastest. They buy it to enjoy the driving experience.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #67
trademaster

Quote:
I'm sorry. I misunderstood the treads intent then. I thought the idea of the thread was which was the better performer. And it's obivious the twins are not going to win anything other that subjective catagories. I'll bow out of this debate because I'm more of a numbers guy. Hard numbers like 1/4 time, top speed. skid pad results, etc. To each their own.
You said you wondered why anyone would buy one over a Camaro or Mustang, so I answered. They are a different cars for very different purposes.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #68
Thizizkai

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
If I wanted a economical, zippy, quick, nimble little car with the occasional autox/road race trip. I would choose the FRS/BRZ .

In terms of Grand Touring performance right out of the box with brute power to back it up. I would choose the ZL1/1LE, Z/28.

I like the lightness/quickness of the BRZ/FRS cars. But my heart sits with the Camaro thru and thru until a new RX7/Supra/NSX comes along....
Thizizkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #69
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
Its fun to drive. Like a go kart.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #70
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I'd like to drive one. I just throw that out there.

They didn't "beat" the GT500 and ZL1 in the Lightning Lap for no reason. They must be a blast to drive.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote