Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Nitrous on low compression motor

Yes, another nitrous question from an FI noob...please bear with me! I've done alot of digging, and think I have my head wrapped around things, but want some insight from folks who know wtf they're talking about...

Here's the bit...a while back, I picked up a used 2011 SS with a built motor - ERL 416 stroker (9.3:1 compression) and it's got all the forged internals to go along with it, blower cam, and a few other things.

The intention of the prev owner, as I understand it, was to put an SC on it, so they built the motor accordingly. Then, guy hit some financial troubles and had to sell.

Anyhow, I've been reading about all the FI options, and I think that (for now) the only viable option for me is to add nitrous. Been doing much reading on the cost of this, and have pretty much figured that i'm looking at between 2k-4k for a whole setup (purchased/installed/tuned by someone who knows what they're doing)

My question: It looks like most folks running nitrous have higher compression than what I do. I would like to keep the compression ratio as it is, in the hopes that eventually I'll be able to run a turbo or SC. Will the low compression hinder nitrous at all? In my reading, it appears that the lower compression is a little less efficient, however provides for a wider margin of error when tuning...I could be mistaken here, though..

So, that being said, anyone have any thoughts? I presume there isn't any major issue with the lower compression, but will any power gains be a bit muted because of it? This car is a daily driver, and I'd like to keep it tame enough to still drive back/forth to work, but have enough power available to really romp when I want to...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
If your spending 4k, I would just wait and save up for a blower.

Nitrous will work fine at that compression. Been done a million times. If you have forged internals, you should be able to run a huge shot at least until you start losing traction.

Biggest things you will need are a way to ensure you are getting enough fuel, e.g. bigger fuel pump and/or BAP; a way to retard the timing, Lingenfelter sells a good unit or you can make one that uses your IAT using a couple relays and a resistor; colder range spark plugs, and an RPM/WOT switch. A couple nice to haves are AFR and nitrous pressure gauges. Remote openers are more convenient too.

Pretty sure all this is in the sticky on nitrous.

What is not in the sticky are that should carefully plan the electronics of the system before you start to install. I thought I had my chit wired and then units I was planning on using did not work the way I wanted so I had to rewire an new part in. Not horribly ugly, but not the electronic work of art I as shooting for.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
ok cool. FIgured as much, and I've read that nitrous sticky more times than I can count..

As for the total cost, I am just making guesses at a ballpark number...In researching all of this, I think I could get parts for a good setup for under/around the 2k mark, and I kinda figured another 1500-2k for install/tune (I have a 3 year old and a preggo wife...no time for a DIY install, and I'm not gonna even try, bc I'd likely f*** something up) That guess puts me at/near the 4k mark...

I'd love to go blower or turbo, but with a starting cost of 7k+ and then tacking on install/tune costs, I'm well beyond my means. Also, I think no matter what, it's going to be putting the car near my limits of trust in the drivetrain, and I'm thinking that if I get near the 700hp mark with whtaever I do, that I'll need to beef up the rear end, which is another 5-10k...

Ugh..so much money for all this!

Thanks so much for the clarification. I figured it would be fine, but didn't know what the potential issues could be with regards to the compression
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Yes, I imagine paying someone to take the responsibility to install nitrous would be expensive.

Just don't start with a big shot. Take baby steps. Start with a 50 to make sure everything is good. On my first 50hp shot I came up running lean and it turned out there was a piece of wire from the hose shielding stuck in the fuel jet.

There are a lot of people running close to or more than 1000hp on these engines with forged internals.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
BplumCrazy-SS

Drives: 416 w/TH400
someone is selling a turbo kit for 3500 shipped and if u buy everything he said he will give a hell of a deal......... I would go that route