Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #29
bdd8401

Drives: 2015 2LT SW RS A6
Ok i thought i read here on the forums the 6 gens are coming equipped with catch cans, so now the are saying catch cans grenade your engine and they won't cover it. So when the 6 gens start grenading will they not cover them, i realize the 6 gen is not a ls3 btw. And by the way wasn't there a tsb about ls3 oil pumps failing.
bdd8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #30
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzepx View Post
Nope. Not on Camaro's. Maybe some other Vehicle.
How about these? And the COPO no?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434759

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256657
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #31
lt1power

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
I'd put a new oil pump on it and see what happens.
lt1power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #32
Mkn95u0

Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotek View Post
This is a good reminder that if you got to get service warranty work done your best bet is to remove as many bolt on mods as possible in the event they try to weasel out of warranty repairs . Don't give them any reason or excuse to deny your claims ..Let this serve as an example
ok, well if this were a supercharger or something of the sorts, i could possibly agree... but a catch can? really? is that even considered a mod these days? I doubt the OP had intentions of installing a catch can as a means of better performance.

Warranty issues typically have always gone to the consumer in terms of court / BAR / AAA / etc.. when it comes down to it.
10.722 @ 132.21mph DA: 850 | 645rwhp/581rwtq (12/3/2017)M
10.609 @ 130.19 DA: 975 | 675rwhp/629rwtq (2/16/2020)D
Build: E-Force w/ 3.25" pulley (11lbs of boost), 10% OD under pulley, Fore Dual Fuel System, ID850's, AEM CAI, Borla Long Tubes, Flowmaster Super 10's, Circle D 3200 converter 258mm triple disc lockup, cam 226/242 116+4 LSA, ZL-1 Rear end, E85 & BRC Raceworks Tune (previously known as CMS)
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM

Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #33
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
So if it just comes down to GM pointing to 'some' mod being THE reason for the failure, where does this end? CAI blocked the intake, starved the cylinders of proper airflow and rich'd out cyl's and melted pistons? Exhaust mods created TOO much airflow and leaned it...catch can, hash stripes, plastidip, bowties...

I thought the Magnuson-Moss Act provided in part that they had to prove THE mod caused THE failure? But I suppose something that has "oil" in the name - 'oil catch can' involved in an oil related failure is too close for comfort.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #34
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
OK, so you have to go hire an attorney... which is already going to cost more than the engine repair.

Then you have to sit and wait for however long it would take to get the case litigated... which could be years if GM wanted it to be.

So while technically there is something you could do about it, from a practical standpoint there is not.
I'm not so sure that an attorney would cost that much, considering the cost of a new factory LS3 and certified dealer installation is probably going to be around $10k give or take. A new engine would most likely be warranty path they would take.

The other part I look at is the total cost of the car. Right now OP has a garage ornament that should be in the process of being fixed. Not sure if the car was financed or not, but that also adds to the equation, payments being made, and of course overall value of the car. Sure, the OP can suck it up, and have the job done. For all we know, it could be as simple as replacing the crank and bearings, and of course the oil pump. However, if this were done outside of warranty, and especially if done outside of a certified GM service dept, we could be looking a diminished value of the car. If the car is financed through the bank, I'm sure they would be concerned about that, as technically it is their money invested.

From the story, as told, it seems that the tech never even got far enough to even diagnose what actually happened, much less subsequent damage caused as the result of loss of oil pressure. We also do not know exactly when the damage, "noise" happened, at the initial start up in OP's possession, or during diagnostic at the dealership? Is there a procedure for checking oil pressure without starting the engine on an LS3? If so, why did the dealer not use it? Obviously they started the engine for them hear the 'noise'.

Finally, I have a hard time believing that between all of these automotive professionals, and experienced GM techs and supervisors, that A) they don't know about the problems with LS3 pumps, I believe there is a TSB about the issue, and B) that no one knows what catch can is, and how it works, and what it effects. Heck, I'm sure some of these guys have one on their Corvette they bought with the bonus money they got by denying warranty claims.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #35
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
My father's vette had a catch can installed by the dealer and the dealer checked with GM to see if it voided any warranty. They told my father if the answer was yes they would not install it. Well it is on his car and he has it serviced and has had some warantee work done with zero issues....I call BS on how GM and your dealership handled this!
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #36
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd8401 View Post
Ok i thought i read here on the forums the 6 gens are coming equipped with catch cans, so now the are saying catch cans grenade your engine and they won't cover it. So when the 6 gens start grenading will they not cover them, i realize the 6 gen is not a ls3 btw. And by the way wasn't there a tsb about ls3 oil pumps failing.
The LT1 engine is designed with an integrated oil/air separation system in the valve covers as part of the pcv system.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #37
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Step 1: Put a new oil pump in the car on your own dime
Step 2: find out where the GM decision makers in this case live, and visit them with a bat.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #38
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Maybe you already answered this, how much are the costs of the repairs?

That was quite a read and such an awful situation... But priority would be to get the car fixed with cold hard cash if you have to. Credit. Bank Loan. Something until you figure out how to proceed.

You'll pay more putting it on plastic, but it'll give you time to fight this if you're gonna, and perhaps get the bill paid completely plus interest and legal fees, if you win in court.

Here's a little something that happened to me. I was driving on the 15 heading towards San Diego at around 4 in the morning 3 days before Christmas. All of a sudden the car started to shake and lose power quickly. I began to lose speed and I managed to drive far enough to get to an exit. Stopped just past the light and - being 4am - took out the trusty flashlight and began looking around the engine bay. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary... and it definitely felt like something internal, engine related. So I waited until daylight, called the tow truck, took it to the Chevy Service Dept. in Laguna Niguel.

So they're checking out the ride, pull the code... turns out to be Cylinder 3 misfire. I was asked about my mods... yep, they're everywhere. No warranty... accepted that, put it all on plastic - a broken rocker and busted valve spring on Cylinder 3. About $500 later, and on Christmas Eve, got my baby back.

Fix your car! If you can afford to own it, you need to be able to care for it and fix it when it breaks!
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:08 AM   #39
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Spend a few weekends walking in front of the dealership with a huge sign that says GM REFUSE TO HONOR WARRANTY. I bet they fix it right away.

Where did you buy the car? Go there.

Talk to CC mfg. Elite? How would they sell any catch cans if it voided your warranty?

Is it financed? How much do you owe? Hopefully more than it's worth. Stop payments and let them have it back. Explain the situation to the Credit Bureau (dispute with GM) and it shouldn't hurt too bad for too long...

Sue the catch can company for not advising you of the warranty issue with installing one.

Get busy...

JMHO
Old 05-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #40
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
wow i fell sorry for you dude..this sucks..lessons to be learned here..DONT MOD your car when under warranty..ofc these makers will do anything not to pay out..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #41
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Look through this site for apex Chase thread listing legality of catch cans..there's lots of detailed advice..
Old 05-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #42
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
While youre replacing the oil pump, swap out the cam and upgrade the valvetrain! She'll be running even better in no time soon.

If anything, it would only take you a day or two to get in a new oil pump. There will be a lot of fluids...

Update us on what you decide to do. Unfortunately, we're states apart or I would offer to help.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote