Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #99
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
On a track there would be a difference if the driver was worth his salt.
Eh. Idk.

I think they used 'D' during the testing unfortunately. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the CTS-V. The auto tranny in the Camaro is the CTS-V auto tranny's little cousin. With that said the auto in the CTS-V outruns the manual to 60 mph (.3 sec), 100 mph (1 sec.), and around the Nurburgring!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #100
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
It what I expected out of Top Gear.. In fact it better then I was thinking it would be.

As far as the comments of It should have been a LS3... I think they were looking at auto to auto

And all the specs I have read on the LS3 vs L99 they are about the same so I don't get the comments like the LS3 would have done much better. I don't agree, the auto and the manual are only a 1/10 of second apart in the 1/4 mile so I don't think the LS3 would have made much diff. IMHO
We're not talking about a straight line test here. With the same driver, the M6 will be faster than the A6 around the Top Gear track. That's a fact. Put the Stig behind the wheel of an M6 SS and the time would be faster. It has nothing to do with engine and everything to do with transmission when racing on a road course.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #101
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
on the top gear site this comment pissed me off "The first half of the Rapide/Quattroporte/Panam era test was really very good. The muscle car test was a bit silly, comparing a redneck mobile to a serious German car."The interviews took up a lot of time, and weren’t very interesting go to http://transmission.blogs.topgear.co...sive-outtakes/ to fight back.
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #102
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
The fact that they call the Benz a muscle car had me laughing pretty hard.

AMG or not, it's still a yuppie-mobile.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #103
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
i don't know why people like this pretencious a-s show so much; the sad thing is its a lot of times chock full of bad info and people take it as fact when its supposed to be entertainment
Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #104
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I am a Brit, living here in Dallas (have done for 8 years now). Finally a proud owner of an American Muscle car (my Camaro 2011 2SS/RS).

I've watched Top Gear pretty much since I was a kid, back home and here in the USA. Us Brits do have an odd sense of humor, which is fine, but I have to say, (even being slightly bias as I own a Camaro) that the comparison really wasn't fair.

One car at £72,000 and one at £40,000... that just doesn't make sense. Even the bhp and torque figures are nowhere near each other... the only 'close' comparison is the 6.3 vs 6.2 liter engine... which is a stretch.

It was an excuse to drive two powerful cars and have fun. Of course one would win over the other, and we wanted it to be the car we all love.

However, this time, the car costing almost twice as much won in the 'comparison'.

I'm not too disheartened to be honest. It's one persons opinion. Opinions are like a$$holes. We all have them.
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #105
Gripper2ss
Gripper 2010

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2ss 6spd
This is why we came to America to get away from dudes like that! I did enjoy Arthur driving though. I wanna rematch!!
Gripper2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #106
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
The fact that they call the Benz a muscle car had me laughing pretty hard.

AMG or not, it's still a yuppie-mobile.

Agreed.

As of now there are only three muscle cars currently being built.... None of them are built in Germany..... And I'm sorry but the CTS-V (coupe or sedan) is not a muscle car.... Neither is a Vet... IMHO

Honorable mention goes to Holden from Australia.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #107
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
Eh. Idk.

I think they used 'D' during the testing unfortunately. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the CTS-V. The auto tranny in the Camaro is the CTS-V auto tranny's little cousin. With that said the auto in the CTS-V outruns the manual to 60 mph (.3 sec), 100 mph (1 sec.), and around the Nurburgring!
That's true, if you pause the video when they show the MPH, they are driving the car around the course is "D" mode as opposed to "S" with Traction control and Stability OFF.

Whether the manual would have did better is debatable,...

Quote:
We're not talking about a straight line test here. With the same driver, the M6 will be faster than the A6 around the Top Gear track. That's a fact. Put the Stig behind the wheel of an M6 SS and the time would be faster. It has nothing to do with engine and everything to do with transmission when racing on a road course.
How much faster would it be? ".1" seconds? .2 seconds? So your really telling me that stock vs stock the manual transmission is better than the automatic?
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #108
SZOTSTA24

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
WOW!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR STEALING MY THREAD TRAN!!!!!!!!!
SZOTSTA24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #109
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
That's true, if you pause the video when they show the MPH, they are driving the car around the course is "D" mode as opposed to "S" with Traction control and Stability OFF.

Whether the manual would have did better is debatable,...

How much faster would it be? ".1" seconds? .2 seconds? So your really telling me that stock vs stock the manual transmission is better than the automatic?
On a road course generally Manuals are better. Now if we're talking an M3 with that dual clutch set up that has zero hesitation in manual mode.... then no.... there is no difference.

but our auto vs our manual in the correct traction mode, The manual is faster on a road course.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #110
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Well I wish they had used an LS3 car, and comparing it to the AMG was retarded. Those are two completely different types of cars. Still fun to see the Camaro going around the TopGear track. I'm glad Hammond likes the Camaro, he's the only one of the three who's opinion I would have respected.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #111
ChevyCobb

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZOTSTA24 View Post
WOW!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR STEALING MY THREAD TRAN!!!!!!!!!
You too huh?
ChevyCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #112
Jicata
Banned

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 305 Boss
He says that that AMG can take any muscle car... Do you think it can take a fello redneck car the 2011 GT500? I am pretty sure MT tested it faster around the track than a Porshe 911 and the Audi R8.
Jicata is offline   Reply With Quote