Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
I was hit by someone in my small dorm parking lot.. any suggestions?

I was parked on a curb in my dorm's small parking lot. I came in around 4am after working on school work. The lot is always full because there are only about 30 spots, and 40+ cars. Every curb is marked yellow, so the curbs fill up with cars anyways.

Before I get hammered for parking on the yellow line, the dorm is in the middle of a ghetto (literally, we have 24 hour security outside), students still have been held up by gunpoint if they park outside on the street.
Towards the very left of the lot is a dead end, where I parked. My passenger door was exposed to cars backing up. Theoretically which ever car hit me had to be backing out to the left, and essentially hit me with their right back corner. It's all I can figure, because there would be no reason to back out to the right and go left - it's a dead end.

I don't think I can get the cops involved because it's a parking lot, and I was on a yellow line... I'd just wind up getting a ticket. So guys, what do you think I should do? I see two cars in the lot that are prime suspects of the accident, based on their bumper damage. I'm really aggravated over this, because my entire door is messed up, it's going to be ate last $1500 in damage, and I JUST replaced my front and back bumper from two other incidents, one a hit and run.

Last time I got hit by someone in a parking lot, I called the cops, and got a $150 ticket for "unsafe backing" simply because the other person was backing out. They didn't have insurance, and quote told me "you're shit out of luck" so I had to fix it myself. Fool me once, shame on me, but I'm not going to fall scam to the legal system again- it's a joke. The only thing that wound up happening was they got some extra tickets, and we both had to go to court. It was a PITA for me and I got nothing out of it.

Thanks for any advice..
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
kcobean
Zippy Lemon #109

Drives: 2010 SLP ZL575 #109
You'll be fixing this one yourself too. My advice? Don't own a nice car in a ghetto where you have to park on a postage stamp with 40 other cars. What else could be said?

Sorry about the damage.
2010 SLP ZL575 #109
kcobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
You know, I want to sympathize with you because I worked my ass off for the first year of college and bought a new car I really wanted. I parked it on campus and guess what? Door dings, bumps, hits, and finally a huge rear-ender which caused about $6k in damages and never had that factory paint/look/feel ever again. Every time someone even went NEAR my car I sprouted a new gray hair. My advice is . . . well I don't know, it's tough to switch cars now.

Fix it yourself, get it done right with no compromises, and try protect her at all costs. Or, think about selling it, and buying something you don't mind getting scuffed, bumped, smashed, stolen, etc.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobean View Post
You'll be fixing this one yourself too. My advice? Don't own a nice car in a ghetto where you have to park on a postage stamp with 40 other cars. What else could be said?

Sorry about the damage.

I feel for ya, but pretty much what he/she said.....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
Sounds like where i went to school at Akron. I had a beater in college and if I had my Camaro when I was in school I wouldnt have taken it there.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Don't park in the ghetto....rather don't live in the ghetto. I know you're in school but it doesn't mean you have to live in something substandard like that.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Take your car home to your parents/grandparents/girlfriends parents/other someone with a safe, secure location and park it & have someone drive you back to school until the semester ends. Drive the car in the summer when you can enjoy it.

You may want to find a body shop that will hold onto it for you and take their time repairing it right, let them hold it for you for a few weeks.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
OP, the ghetto? Way to stereotype an area. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw24 View Post

smh

OP: I think you should check into a beater or something. Obviously having the Camaro there is just a bad idea.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Regarrdless of where the school may be located, you would best be served by parking your Camaro where it is safe and secure. Get yourself a beater if you have to have a car at school. It's why I had a 1962 renault Dauohine, followed by a 1965 Corvair Sedan when I was in college.

It's worth it to keep your Camaro from getting trashed by the uincaring.

Last edited by greenrail; 10-31-2011 at 12:45 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw24 View Post

If it's run down and sketch ball how do you expect him to describe it?

That sucks OP, but that's life at school.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx View Post
If it's run down and sketch ball how do you expect him to describe it?

That sucks OP, but that's life at school.
Maybe say, "A less than stellar neighborhood."
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Not sure where you live, but in Kansas that backing ticket would not have flown on private property. That said, almost all college's have 24 hour surveillance. Talk to security and ask them to review it. Regardless of where you parked, the person who hit and ran is partially at fault. Accidents such as this usually get a % rating of at fault. Might be spinning you wheels on getting the whole repair paid, but you will send a message to the prick who hit you and decided not to stick around!
Gator6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl View Post
smh

OP: I think you should check into a beater or something. Obviously having the Camaro there is just a bad idea.
People over use "ghetto." I bet most don't even know the origin of the word.