Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
stangkiller

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
2010-2012 Camaro V8 New Era OTR Intake System Powdercoated 2010-2012 Camaro V8 New E

I was going to buy the Cold Air Inductions CAI today when I ran across the New Era OTR Intake. I couldnīt seem to find anything on it and the description on the website is not too specific. Does anyone know how or where the actual filter mounts? Anyone running this setup that have pics a video or some helpful info
stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
the filter is inside that metal box in the front, over the radiator. It is shaped like a long rectangle.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I've been wondering about this one too. Seems like its better quality than the vararam.....?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
stangkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
the filter is inside that metal box in the front, over the radiator. It is shaped like a long rectangle.
That seems kind of small for the filter to me, and they are claiming that this CAI improves horsepower more significantly without a tune
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I have one on my car, no tune. Never had any problems with it at all, I love it! It looks great! I have not put my car on a dyno since I installed it, so I can't really tell you any specific HP gains. I think most CAI systems only gain 5-10 HP anyway, so the butt dyno really isn't reliable.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
stangkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I have one on my car, no tune. Never had any problems with it at all, I love it! It looks great! I have not put my car on a dyno since I installed it, so I can't really tell you any specific HP gains. I think most CAI systems only gain 5-10 HP anyway, so the butt dyno really isn't reliable.
Any pics?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
stangkiller

Talked to the guys at Jannety racing and they said I am better of going with a CAI enclosed intake it will produce more hp and is 100 dollars cheaper
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangkiller View Post
Any pics?
Here are some pics and a thread (post #14) showing the Jannetty Racing CAI test comparing dyno runs of various CAIs including the New Era OTR. As you can see from the test, Jannetty is correct that some enclosed intakes will produce more hp on a dyno with the car sitting still (maybe with some fans also blowing toward it). But what about in real world conditions with a 40, 60, or 80 MPH wind coming directly at the car? The CAIs that can take advantage of this air will be the better performers. These include the Vararam, New Era, and some others that use a scoop from under the car. So a question I ask myself was how can a dyno test be a truly accurate indicator of how one of these type CAIs will perform with a 60 MPH head wind? I came to the conclusion that it can't. So then it became a question of which one of the 3 CAI's mentioned above could take best advantage of air rushing toward the car? Obviously, either the Vararam or the New Era since by tilting the radiator back, you are creating one giant scoop funneling air directly into the intake. This was a major factor I considered when deciding on a CAI. At this point I was down to Vararam and New Era. The New Era uses a standard size K&N air filter while the Vararam does not. A point for New Era. The New Era is very well built (aluminum) and sturdy. It also has a better designed method of securing the radiator. You can see this in the 2 close up pics where the ears with rectangular holes fit over the bosses on the top of the radiator. The rubber pieces were my idea to prevent movement. A point for New Era again. Another factor was temperature climb. Only 3 CAIs in the test had 0 climb. New Era and Cold Air Inductions. Two other, although minor, considerations were reducing clutter under the hood by eliminating the air box and coolness factor (probably at least a 9). For the sake of balance, there was a negative in choosing this CAI and that was price. At $490, the New Era was one of if not the most expensive CAI out there, but in my mind it was worth it and what the hell it's only money. In the end, everyone has to decide what seems right for them and what they will be happy with. Hope this helps you in your decision, whatever you decide to go with.

toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I'm impressed. It looks awesome. Wonder if it's compatible with the 2012?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml_pa View Post
The rubber pieces were my idea to prevent movement.
I like the rubber isolators you made up! What did you make them from? I might want to do that for mine too.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
stangkiller

Quote:
Here are some pics and a thread (post #14) showing the Jannetty Racing CAI test comparing dyno runs of various CAIs including the New Era OTR. As you can see from the test, Jannetty is correct that some enclosed intakes will produce more hp on a dyno with the car sitting still (maybe with some fans also blowing toward it). But what about in real world conditions with a 40, 60, or 80 MPH wind coming directly at the car? The CAIs that can take advantage of this air will be the better performers. These include the Vararam, New Era, and some others that use a scoop from under the car. So a question I ask myself was how can a dyno test be a truly accurate indicator of how one of these type CAIs will perform with a 60 MPH head wind? I came to the conclusion that it can't. So then it became a question of which one of the 3 CAI's mentioned above could take best advantage of air rushing toward the car? Obviously, either the Vararam or the New Era since by tilting the radiator back, you are creating one giant scoop funneling air directly into the intake. This was a major factor I considered when deciding on a CAI. At this point I was down to Vararam and New Era. The New Era uses a standard size K&N air filter while the Vararam does not. A point for New Era. The New Era is very well built (aluminum) and sturdy. It also has a better designed method of securing the radiator. You can see this in the 2 close up pics where the ears with rectangular holes fit over the bosses on the top of the radiator. The rubber pieces were my idea to prevent movement. A point for New Era again. Another factor was temperature climb. Only 3 CAIs in the test had 0 climb. New Era and Cold Air Inductions. Two other, although minor, considerations were reducing clutter under the hood by eliminating the air box and coolness factor (probably at least a 9). For the sake of balance, there was a negative in choosing this CAI and that was price. At $490, the New Era was one of if not the most expensive CAI out there, but in my mind it was worth it and what the hell it's only money. In the end, everyone has to decide what seems right for them and what they will be happy with. Hope this helps you in your decision, whatever you decide to go with.

Looks awesome! I might be leaning towards the New Era better
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
That's a cool looking intake.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'm impressed. It looks awesome. Wonder if it's compatible with the 2012?
It should fit. This New Era OTR Air Intake System For 2010+ Camaro SS is the New Era website. Click on the red box to ask for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I like the rubber isolators you made up! What did you make them from? I might want to do that for mine too.
Isolators were made using round rubber grommets from Lowe's or Tractor Supply. Measure the square hole diagonally and get that size grommet, then cut it to fit. The reason I got them was I saw a picture where vibration had caused the bracket to wear into the plastic boss.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
blazzin1

Quote:
Isolators were made using round rubber grommets from Lowe's or Tractor Supply. Measure the square hole diagonally and get that size grommet, then cut it to fit. The reason I got them was I saw a picture where vibration had caused the bracket to wear into the plastic boss.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip!