Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
pino
Summit White 2SS WRS, Aut

Drives: Summit White 2SS on Order...
CAI Choices and Differences ?

I was curious about some of the CAI systems I've seen on the forum's. I did look at the thread that compared the differences in some of the manufacturers and that it was very informative. I was at the local autozone a couple days ago and noticed that they sell CAI's also. The intake tube(i guess you would call it) was like $60 and the K&N cone filter was another $60. What wrong with that sort of intake compared to the $400-$500 systems I've been reading about in the forums and online. In my measly mind, sucking air through a silver metal tube with a cone on the end is the same as a red metal tube with a cone on the end. Maybe someone can clarify. I realize there may be subtle differences but a $350-$400 difference?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Not all tubes are created equal! A wider, more carefully-curved tube won't get in the way of air flow as much. You'll get more horsepower and torque from the ~$400 kits. Whether it's worth the money or not is really up to you, but I for one intend to pick one up over the winter.

See if you can find dyno testing results from the different CAI makers. That, along with track results like the competition from a few days ago, would be the best way to judge how much they'll do for you.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Give me a call. I can tell you all about the "why" vs. "price" to choosing a quality CAI. Despite the many different CAI manufacturers I carry I have a personal preference based on what I have actually seen/installed locally.

Cost & Quality = Rotofab, ADM Performance, & Cold Air Inductions.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote