Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Asylum
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black on Black Manual 6
I don't give a s**t moh recipient - remove your flag pole! - Disgusted.

Henrico Medal of Honor winner, 90, ordered to remove flagpole

Col. Van T. Barfoot, a local Medal of Honor winner, is under the gun from his Henrico County community's homeowner association.

In a five-paragraph letter to Barfoot that he received yesterday, Barfoot is being ordered to remove a flagpole from his yard. The decorated veteran of three wars, now 90 years old, raises the American flag every morning on the pole, then lowers and folds the flag at dusk each day in a three-corner military fashion.

In a priority mail letter, the Coates & Davenport law firm in Richmond is ordering Barfoot to remove the pole by 5 p.m. Friday or face "legal action being brought to enforce the Covenants and Restrictions against you." The letter states that Barfoot will be subject to paying all legal fees and costs in any successful legal proceeding pursued by the homeowner association's board.

Barfoot's daughter said this evening that news reports about the association order have prompted an outpouring of sympathy and offers of help from people following her father's ordeal.

Tonight, the Sussex Square Homeowners Association issued a statement reiterating its position that Barfoot directly violated the association board's denial of his request to erect a flagpole.

"This is not about the American flag. This about a flagpole," the statement reads.

Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds.

There is no provision in the community's rules expressly forbidding flagpoles, Barfoot's daughter said. But she said the board ruled against her father's fixture and ordered it removed in July, deciding that free-standing flag poles are not aesthetically appropriate. Short flag stands attached to porches dot the community.

"Dad sort of feels like this is the end," said Margaret Nicholls, Barfoot's daughter, who lives a few doors away. But she said this morning that she and her husband are attempting to generate support for her father's cause, a flag-raising rite that he has undertaken for most of his life.

Barfoot received the Medal of Honor on the battlefield during World War II in Italy and fought as well in the Korean and Vietnam wars. A portion of a highway in rural Mississippi, his native state, was named in his honor this fall. A building at McGuire Veterans Hospital in Richmond also carries his name.

Barfoot began regularly flying the flag on Veteran's Day this year despite the Sussex Square board's decision.

He said in November that not flying the flag would be a sacrilege to him.

"There's never been a day in my life or a place I've lived in my life that you couldn't fly the American flag," he said.

-- Cliff Notes
War Vet and MOH Recipient aged 90 is being told to take down his flag pole or face major law suit ect bla bla bla.

MOH Citation (Above Named)

Medal of Honor citation

Second Lieutenant Barfoot’s official Medal of Honor citation reads:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot’s extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.[4]

This shit disgusts me, is this really what our race of people are coming to, Just less than a week after I post my idiots thread and how the world is so full of them we are all informed that the human race and its people can always find a way to sink to a new all time low.

If I lived in that state, city, or town I'm telling you right now, I'd be putting flag poles on every residents building draping them with the American Flag and telling them all to stfu and get over themselves. I mean really! I'm not even American, but the fact that these people are annoyed about a patriotic hero who went above and beyond the expectations of any mortal man... they ugh

they just need to die.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Drives: 2007 Chevy Trailblazer
Thats F***ED UP!!!

Let him have the flag pole so he can PROUDLY FLY HIS COUNTRY'S FLAG which he fought 3 wars to help keep free!!

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
ive had nothing but bad occurrences with home owners associations.

i was once told that i was not allowed to park my car in the driveway because its color doesnt match the vibe of the neighborhood.

or had the cops called on me because i was going 20 in a 25, because thats too fast on a street where kids played (i was coming home at 7 am, of course i wouldnt speed when kids were on the street......even though i think front and back yards are sufficient.....dont play where the cars go)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I also have had nothing but bad experience with HOAs... I even went through a fight recently with my HOA over an order to remove my dog from the compound.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Oh no. I'm about to get flamed. :(

Why wasn't he flying it on a pole before July?

According to the article, he can and I assume has been flying it on a short stand attached to his house where many of his neighbors fly theirs. All of a sudden they he wants it on a pole.

Now before you flame me. I think they should allow it and leave him alone. We/they owe this guy. A small price to pay for what he and so many others did so that they can have their Homeowners Assosiation in the first freakin place.

Yes. It's ridiculous that they are messing with him. A-holes.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
fellow canadian; i agree with ya. i'd fly the american flag high-and-proud for this man, he's given a hell of a lot.
denying this guy the right to fly his flag in the mornings and take it down at night isn't right, he's given too much to be denied that.
and is it really too much to ask? does flying the american flag on a flagpole degrade the neighbourhood?

i just read another article that claimed he's currently the most highly decorated combat vet alive. fly that flag high, and fight them if they make you stop. :flag1:

i've never had to deal with a HOA, and by the sounds of it, thank god.
:flag2:
Old 12-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post
fellow canadian; i agree with ya. i'd fly the american flag high-and-proud for this man, he's given a hell of a lot.
denying this guy the right to fly his flag in the mornings and take it down at night isn't right, he's given too much to be denied that.
and is it really too much to ask? does flying the american flag on a flagpole degrade the neighbourhood?

i just read another article that claimed he's currently the most highly decorated combat vet alive. fly that flag high, and fight them if they make you stop. :flag1:

i've never had to deal with a HOA, and by the sounds of it, thank god.
just to EVERYTHING you just said

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Boy this really pisses me off!!!

Here are a couple of links. The first one shows a photo of him when he was younger, the second shows a picture of him now.

www.homeofheroes.com/photos/6_ww2/barfoot.html

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...091201/309031/

~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
That guy is a bamf!
Read what he got the medal of honor for!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
If nothing else, I'm pretty sure the HOA's mailbox is going to explode, and every meeting for the next two months they'll likely have protesters at.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If nothing else, I'm pretty sure the HOA's mailbox is going to explode, and every meeting for the next two months they'll likely have protesters at.

- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
America..

Where you can drive a car, and not speak the language.

Where you can protest law and claim civil rights violations when law states no portion of your head shall be covered for a drivers license.

Where you can have BET, a black Miss America pageant and NAACP, UNCF, or an all black college yet not have any white only national orginizations because it is deemed "racist".

Where nativity scenes were once in public viewing are not permitted anymore because it offends other religions.

Where having 8 babies by 8 different "baby daddies" nets the average welfare "baby momma" $300 per child per month for free.

Where totally justified police ass kickings are against the law. or considered racially motivated even when the officer had no idea you were of a particular nationality.

Where said convicted felon by peer jury sues the police for said justifiable ass kicking....costs the public money.

Where my merchandise I buy is labeled in Spanish, Arabic and English...WTF!!! This IS America! I am NOT for "user friendly" packaging. I grew up with Mr. Bubble, Coke, A&W, Jack in The Box, Baseball and Chevy.

Where the government can't take care of their own impoverished yet spend billions in assistance to other foreign countries....AND waste money by paying more money for more babies who turn into neglected sh*theads who rob, steal, rape and kill.

Yea, the guy violated an order and he knew it...what makes him any different than any other religious zealout attempting to circumvent the rules.

LEAVE THE GUY ALONE! America has better fights to win...The guy is 90 years old for God sake!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #13
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

BANSHEE FOR THE WIN!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
BANSHEE FOR THE WIN!!!