Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
scomaro22

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS! ,'09 Genesis
How to or any tips when taking calipers off ??

I haven't had to do it on this car yet, but any tips or suggestions when taking the calipers off of the car ?? I know this should be pretty basic mechanics work, but I just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks in advance!

scomaro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
scomaro22

Wow, seriously. Nobody has anything to say ????

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Have you ever removed a brake caliper from a car before? I can't imagine removing the Brembo's is any more complicated...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Well, remove, as in completely? I took mine off when I put the rotors on, but did not disconnect the brake lines - local shop did that when they put on the Goodridge SS lines. 2 bolts on the back and they're off. Very simple...There is loctite on those suckers, and I couldn't fit my impac wrench behind them, so I used my torque wrench to get em off, and torque them back. The torque for the bolts that hold the Caliper to the knuckle is 30 ft lbs plus an extra 90 degrees. So, turn the bolt an extra 1/4 turn after the torque is at 30 ft lbs. Also, you should put blue loctite on those bolts. That is why they are so tough to remove. They have loctite on them from the factory.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Have you ever removed a brake caliper from a car before? I can't imagine removing the Brembo's is any more complicated...
Well I knew at least one person would try to be funny. If you read my post I asked for any tip or suggestions. I didn't say "How do you take these off?" To answer your question, yes I have taken calipers off before, but once again, if you read my post, my car is too important to me not to screw anything up, and I know people have already taken there calipers off so I didn't know if there were any tricks or anything. But thank you so much for your useless insight on my situation

Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Well, remove, as in completely? I took mine off when I put the rotors on, but did not disconnect the brake lines - local shop did that when they put on the Goodridge SS lines. 2 bolts on the back and they're off. Very simple...There is loctite on those suckers, and I couldn't fit my impac wrench behind them, so I used my torque wrench to get em off, and torque them back. The torque for the bolts that hold the Caliper to the knuckle is 30 ft lbs plus an extra 90 degrees. So, turn the bolt an extra 1/4 turn after the torque is at 30 ft lbs. Also, you should put blue loctite on those bolts. That is why they are so tough to remove. They have loctite on them from the factory.

Yea, completely, I am having them painted and need to ship them off. Do you like the Goodridge SS lines ?? I was looking at them also. Ok great thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it. Great, I can imagine blowing my knuckle open tryin to get these bolts off , hahaha......Thanks again

Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, I like the lines, however, the new Stillen rotors and new Hawk pads are still breaking in. So, the combo is great!

Good luck! If you're sending them in, it's a good time to switch out any other brake parts!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
scomaro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Yes, I like the lines, however, the new Stillen rotors and new Hawk pads are still breaking in. So, the combo is great!

Good luck! If you're sending them in, it's a good time to switch out any other brake parts!
Nice, yea I am thinking about getting the Stillen rotors also. Like you said, might as well do it all while i have the other parts off, Thanks again !!!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
use a heat gun or a hair dryer that gets really hot to help with the lock tight. Aviation mechanic here and thats how we loosen lock tight. Good luck with it.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
scomaro22

Awesome. Thanks for the tip !! I am doing them either today or tomorrow

Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all. I actually meant to put the emote at the end because I haven't had to replace the brake pads yet.

I wasn't quite sure if you were intending to remove the calipers completely (as in, detach from brake lines) or if you were just getting ready to change brake pads or what.

But let's face it...your OP didn't exactly give much info as far as what you were planning on doing. I hope it all goes well
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote