Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #169
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
You can put a Zip lock bag around the filter after you loosen it a little, it helps keep the oil contained as you take it off. Also I used the same washer on my 2010 Camaro, no leaks after 8 oil changes, I used a Gold Plug magnet drain plug as well. This is the filter wrench I have used on everything for years, no issues.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-unive...1&blockType=G1
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #170
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnaz View Post
You can put a Zip lock bag around the filter after you loosen it a little, it helps keep the oil contained as you take it off. Also I used the same washer on my 2010 Camaro, no leaks after 8 oil changes, I used a Gold Plug magnet drain plug as well. This is the filter wrench I have used on everything for years, no issues.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-unive...1&blockType=G1
Where the heck were you when we were doing this, ha! Thanks for the tip.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #171
jesse10

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCamaro View Post
i just changed first oil at 2500 miles. i only put 6.5 quarts in. the dip stick is not very accurate. it read full and a little over the marks on the dip stick. do u know the best way to read the oil level. and to know exactly what to put in? i know it takes 8 quarts but it seemed full at 6.5.

2ss manual! thanks.
Yes, the dip stick doesnt read to well. 7.7 quarts is what I put in mines. Im sure nothing will happen of you put the 8 quarts in if you changed the oil after car has been sitting all night. Either way I put 7.7ish in it, the oil line sits right under the max line.
jesse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #172
jesse10

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
When I got my fist oil change on the camaro At Bruce Lowrie of fort worth. They put in 9 quarts. I checked the dip stick and it was way over, they said it just needed more and that it will be okay. I had them re do the oil change while I watched 7.7 quarts did the job.
jesse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #173
QmaroSS
No regrets the red one!

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 2SS
Hey Guys,

I just completed my first oil change on my 2012 VR 2SS and I followed the write up on this thread. I used 8 qts of Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter. I was having a hard time getting started as I didn't want to screw anything up but now that I got it done I feel pretty good about it.

I really liked the suggestion to use a nail to punch a hole in the oil filter, that saved me a big mess. I also built a set of wooden ramps to lift the front up and then I jacked the rear up with a set of jack stands that I had.

I have to admit I was a chicken there for a little bit about getting under the car as it was still a tight fit, I got over it though. My 15 year old son kept razing me and laughing while I was building up the courage to get under the car, until I told him I was going to make him get under there. Then the laughing stopped.

Anyway, thanks for the write up it was awesome. I posted some pics of my Camaro lifted for the oil change.
Attached Images

QmaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #174
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Does anyone know where I can buy a Magnetic drain plug for my 2010 V6?
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #175
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a Magnetic drain plug for my 2010 V6?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #176
v3n0m

Drives: 13 CRT Camaro SS 1LE #166- "MSS1LE"
Thumbs up Re: My First Oil Change!

Thanks Adub4185 for the great write-up! Although I have 2 years of free oil changes from the dealership for my '13 1LE, they go by the on-board oil life remaining reading before they change it out.

I gotta admin that I was very hesitant at first to be under the car because of fear of that it would crush me,and leave me half dead so to get over that I did the following:
-Chocked the rear wheels wheels in both directions
-Jacked up the car using a 3.5Ton jack
-Put her down on the pair of 3Ton jack stands
-Put the rhino ramps under the front wheels
-Left the jack in-place

By the way I used a filter wrench (Performance Tools PFM W54311) which I bought from O' Reilly and it did a fantastic job of grabbing, gripping and loosening the filter so that I could then remove it by hand.

The drain plug on mine was so tight, there is absolutely no way that it was torqued to 18lbs! I'm 6'2, 245 and I was giving her everything I could muster before she finally came loose!

I bought the 10qt oil tub, I highly recommend getting the bigger one with the bigger hole. It will make it much easier to catch the oil.

Here's what I spent:
$218 - jack
$38 - jack stands
$66 - ramps
$14 - filter wrench
$59 - oil
$7 - oil filter
$3 - drain plug gasket (2)

Total = $ 405
Feeling of doing it (right) yourself = Priceless!
v3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #177
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I have a 15 Quart and a 10 Quart. The 15 just holds the 5.7L Grand Cherokee and 6.2L Camaro combined so I drain both at the same time then pour the 10 into the 15 to carry back for recycle. I also keep some brake clean handy to spray off any residue. The Cherokee has a "track" that the oil goes down when you pull the filter that I have to clean off. Don't want anything for crud to stick to.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #178
QmaroSS
No regrets the red one!

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Feeling of doing it (right) yourself = Priceless!
Exactly! I did mine for the first time this year and once I got over the fear of being under there and completed it, I felt pretty good. I will keep doing mine own for now on.
QmaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #179
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Well I'd say that most if not all engines are designed that way. So you get stray metal in the oil, shavings and filings. You also have a new oil filter each time you change the oil? Good. I was worried you didn't. Ok so your point? I'd say this comes under the heading of "Normal Wear and Tear". You really had to be careful in the old days as oil filters weren't all that. I remember there was this oil filter my Dad bought(the normal price of a filter btw). It opened up and was reusable. The filter material was Charmin. Yes TP. LOL But this was used on a '68 Dodge Dart Sport with an automatic and a Straight Six. Not real high performance. The only problem was that this car burned oil. A quart of oil a week was all it needed, and we put >200000mi on it. The thing is as long as the vehicle is maintained, you won't have any problems. Oils are better engineered than they were, as well as filters. So maintain the vehicle, no trouble, Slam Dunk! What about Al filings and shavings?
Troy Lawson
Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #180
You Won't
Nothin wrong with dreamin

Drives: Camaro SS
I was bored and scrolling through some of the different things on the forum and came across this. I just couldn't help but chime in on something I read at the beginning of this thread about the "quick lube" shop. Not trying to start anything but I managed some of those types of shops for 10 years and I have never heard of the method that was mentioned in that post about not letting all of the oil drain out and then underfilling it. It is places like that shop that give that industry a bad name. Just sayin'. A lot of good info in the thread though.
You Won't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #181
Natikal
NXTIME

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Good write up. However the pictures will not load unless we are facebook friends. Since the whole privacy thing, your facebook photos are hidden unless the viewer is your friend. I would suggest using a different source and updating the urls. This is the first write up that shows up in google and is quite good as well. Thanks for putting the time in this for everyone to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
Natikal is offline   Reply With Quote