Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Dodge/Chrysler Sold Out

As you all know now is as of last week Dodge and Chrysler had officially become full Italian non American products. Fully owned 100% by Fiat. How do feel about driving a Hemi Fiat Challenger. Would you want the name Fiat associated with what was previousy an American name plate born and bread in America?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Hamilton2400

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra/2015 GMC Acadia
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it previously daimlerchrysler, a German owned company?
Hamilton2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton2400 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it previously daimlerchrysler, a German owned company?
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

I don't care who owns them, as long as the people who work in the States keep their jobs, which, from the initial looks, Fiat has no plans to change.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post

I don't care who owns them, as long as the people who work in the States keep their jobs, which, from the initial looks, Fiat has no plans to change.
100% agree! Well I do wish that we could still keep everything American. But not possible.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
100% agree! Well I do wish that we could still keep everything American. But not possible.
The cars are still designed here and assembled here. Parts come from all over the world (and it would be great if they were manufactured in America) but I'll take what I can get.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Chrysler didn't have a whole lot of say in the matter, it was the Veba healthcare fund that sold the remaining shares to Fiat. Besides, Chrysler Corp hasn't been in control of themselves since the 'merger of equals' with Daimler-Benz (which was, effectively a takeover) back in 1998. After that it was Cerberus Capital Management (who led the company to bankruptcy). At that point, nobody wanted them except for Fiat. If there were no takers in 2009, the company would have been liquidated and the only thing that probably would have survived would be the Jeep brand (it has a long history of outliving its owners).

How do I feel about it? No differently than I felt about the days of the 'Mercedes' Charger about a decade ago. Besides, the bulk of the engineering and manufacturing for the Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-Ram brands going to continue to be done in North America. There will be platform sharing with Fiat branded vehicles sure, but that goes both ways. As I understand it, Lancia is effectively going to become re-badged Chryslers. There's also the Fiat Freemont (a Dodge Journey). In the end, while it would have been nice for them to be an all-American company, that wasn't really an option. So if the alternatives are foreign ownership or no Chrysler Corp at all -I'll take foreign ownership.

Also ... there has been talk of Fiat relocating its global headquarters from Italy to the United States. Though that could just some sort of bluff on the part of Sergio in order to get better business conditions back in Italy.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I do like the Fiat Challenger 392 and yes I would still buy one.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I presently own a Dodge and I would like to think that with the merger of DaimlerBenz, it could have only helped in the quality and styling dept. With my present car, I was pleasantly surprised by the "European" interior styling and how ergo and efficient it is. Clean lines and easy to use controls, I must say I'm very impressed with it, it feels like a much more expensive vehicle.

I'm not sure of Fiat's reputation but I would think that whatever their main philosophy is towards cars, it will have an impact on Dodge/Chrysler such as DaimlerBenz had. Hopefully it won't reverse the improvements/perception of some of their vehicle lines have developed over the years.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Rumor was the government tried to get GM to take on Chrysler in order to get the bankruptcy deal. Boy that could have been a huge mess and cost a lot of jobs as the competing models were done away with. Much better with Fiat. Of course one could argue that Rick Wagoner's horrid deal where they bought in to Fiat for $2 billion and bought themselves out for another $2.5 billion paid for the whole deal.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton2400 View Post
Yes you are wrong. Daimler just owned a majority part of Chrysler, not 100% of Chrysler.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post

I see no winner here as Daimler never owned 100% of Chrysler.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
1olddude

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Silver Ice Metallic.
My Camaro was built in Canada so I can't claim American made either. The world is different than it was 50 years ago.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
I see no winner here as Daimler never owned 100% of Chrysler.
You're really just arguing semantics now. When the majority share owner is a foreign company who supplies you capital and payroll with which to run your business they're the owners.

They're decisions carry and no one else can over rule them. Hence the term "majority"

Once they ceased being 100% owned or at least 51% majority American owned they became a foreign owned company. Spin it anyway you want but those are the facts.

And as others pointed out in this thread, Chrysler didnt really have a choice in the matter. Would you prefer them to still exist or have gone out of business back in 2007-8 and have all of those American workers lose their jobs?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddude View Post
My Camaro was built in Canada so I can't claim American made either. The world is different than it was 50 years ago.
As was mine but being Canadian I enjoy that fact. It's still American by terms of North American.

You guys are getting it back for the 6th gen.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote