Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What upgrade should I purchase first?
ZL1 Short-throw shifter kit 3 21.43%
American thunder axle back exhaust 5 35.71%
1LE 3.91 gear kit 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
CamaroSSkid

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray 1SS/RS M6
Help me upgrade!!

I am wanted to upgrade my 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS. I am happy with the exterior of the car for the most part. I know there are a number of options to upgrade the performance of my car for under a grand (I am a college student full time). I work often but not enough to go completely nuts with upgrades. I have some ideas on what I want to do but I need some advice, should I go with an exhaust upgrade (Flowmaster American thunder axle back), a 1LE 3.91 gear kit or a ZL1 short throw shifter kit? Also if I upgrade my exhaust, would anyone recommend getting a cold air intake? Are they worth the money, best brand? I plan on getting all of these things eventually, I just want to know which I should get first.
CamaroSSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
The information that you seek is all around this forum, check out the bolt on section.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
CamaroSSkid

is there a way to remove this thread from general to bolt on?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
if you want to upgrade performance, then axleback exhaust should be the last thing you do, as that won't net you any more performance. You will reduce some weight in the rear, maybe loosen up 2 or 3hp. Nothing of significance. If 3.91 gears is one of your options, that's probably your best bet.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
CamaroSSkid

I do not have the upgraded GM exhaust, does that change anything? I thought I read somewhere that the stock exhaust on the 2014 was rather bad. I could be mistaken though.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSkid View Post
I do not have the upgraded GM exhaust, does that change anything? I thought I read somewhere that the stock exhaust on the 2014 was rather bad. I could be mistaken though.
replacing just the mufflers on any car will not gain you much. Noise is the biggest thing it changes. lol
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
CamaroSSkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
replacing just the mufflers on any car will not gain you much. Noise is the biggest thing it changes. lol
Thank you for the help! I am new to the whole V8 thing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance lol
Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Thank you for the help! I am new to the whole V8 thing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance lol
no worries. everyone has to start somewhere.

and just fyi, replacing just the mufflers on any car won't net you much performance. That goes for 4 bangers, v6, v8, v10, etc etc.

saying that, it is a decent mod to get a better sound from your car, so it's a good mod, but not performance based.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
CamaroSSkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
no worries. everyone has to start somewhere.

and just fyi, replacing just the mufflers on any car won't net you much performance. That goes for 4 bangers, v6, v8, v10, etc etc.

saying that, it is a decent mod to get a better sound from your car, so it's a good mod, but not performance based.
Honest I'm not looking to gain speed exactly. I want a little throatier sound. I mean don't get me wrong, I love speed but its not everything to me when it comes to my Camaro (I like having the power when I need it, rather than trying to race anything with wheels)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Lightbulb

Quote:
I am wanted to upgrade my 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS. I am happy with the exterior of the car for the most part. I know there are a number of options to upgrade the performance of my car for under a grand (I am a college student full time). I work often but not enough to go completely nuts with upgrades. I have some ideas on what I want to do but I need some advice, should I go with an exhaust upgrade (Flowmaster American thunder axle back), a 1LE 3.91 gear kit or a ZL1 short throw shifter kit? Also if I upgrade my exhaust, would anyone recommend getting a cold air intake? Are they worth the money, best brand? I plan on getting all of these things eventually, I just want to know which I should get first.
Honestly, if it were my car and I was on a student budget I would do a Rotofab or VaraRam CAI/dyno tune combo. Pick up the 50-60 RWHP and call it a day PLUS KEEP A FEW EXTRA BUCKS IN MY POCKET!

Best Stock Run - 13.99 @ 101.57 mph
Best CAI/Tune Run - 13.08 @ 106.65 mph

Here's the link for you to check out:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...Installed.html
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you will not be able to afford for a thousand dollars a 3.91 gear set with new shims and such and install most likely especially if you want to do it right....like with a eaton true trac posi and lpw carrier cover and poly bushings, for a grand you could do something like CAI with scoop, good catch can, separate clutch reservoir, and still afford the short throw shifter while making sure you get good air in and you take care of the engine like it should be.