Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #29
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
With the whole insurance thing... I'm with boxmonkey on this... besides a lot of insurance companies offer insurance for a car that is being used on the track.. BUT most everyday joes wont BUY that insurance because its expensive.

Gotta pay to play, and if you don't pay you run the risk of having your insurance revoked. Dont blame the insurance companies, blame yourself if it happens.

Racing is considered misuse and MAY cause an claim rejection. It happens often, these cars are not built to race (or they would not be street legal). They are built for everyday use.

Modifications are protected under the moss act, the dealer must prove that the modification was the cause of the failure to be able to deny a warranty claim. So if you blow a piston while using nitrous then yea be prepared for it to be denied. If you cracked a head and only have a CAI you should have no worries.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Why would this effect the sales?
because it might just piss somebody off enough to not buy. (just thinking out loud)
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #31
LDGn63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
What makes you all think that it's ok to defraud the companies when it's clearly in their polocies/warranties? If misuse and racing are terms that will void it why should they pay for your screw up when something does break?

Don't get me wrong I fully understand not wanting to pay out of pocket for over revving my engine and it blowing up but guys come on this is the type of stuff that causes insurance to be so high, and gm to be hurting. think about it who really pays for these cars that get broken...we all do. Insurance permiums go up and gm denies more claims mainly because they can't afford to fix it.

Just think about it a min or two.
ok, I for one am not into defrauding anybody. If I blow my car up (on or off the track) because I did something stupid... i'm not going to ask for a hand out. but if it has a 6K RPM redline I expect to be able to take it to 6K (every day if I wish) and not have problems.

i do NOT believe in street racing for any reason.
I just believe that a closed track is the best place to run a car thru the gears and see if you can get the performance out of it that the factory sold you on. (admit it, half the reason you bought the V8 is the advertised performance)
I know plenty of folks that are way harder on their cars on a daily basis than I would be running it down the track maybe a handfull of times total.

If you are buying a PERFOMANCE car, wouldnt you really like to experience its PERFORMANCE in as safe a manner as possible?

i am not talking about true racing at the track... just airing it out a little.
I would bet the chances of something bad (failure or wreck) happening at the track would be less than out on the public roads.

dont get me wrong, i know that if you slap slicks on it every weekend... you are gonna break something! and it's not gonna be GM's fault.

I think I would feel better if they had to prove habitual racing.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #32
HOTRIDES1

Drives: 2006 CTS
Exclamation BIG BROTHER KNOWS !!!

Anyone have a new GM product and rec. updates on the internet and mail via Onstar ?? GM knows when to change your oil...Well, Big Brother knows when rev. limiters, high rpms, 130 mph, etc happen to your new GM vehicle....Many GM dealerships have blocked VIN's that have been warranty issues in the past...So you cannot go all over town to find a Chevy dealer who will fix your blown motor...I agree with many of the previous comments above...You wanna play....you will pay...If you want to race...go buy a past Gen and wait for your warranty to run out on your new Car..I was a rep for GM for 27 years. I would let alot of non warranty issues get paid...to retain a loyal owner. I would also have a favorite saying " GM does not warranty stupidity "
HOTRIDES1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
OK, I didn't know about Chevy. I know Dodge shortens it on the Challenger SRT8. The V6 gets you the standard 5 yr. 50,000 but the SRT8 only gets you 2yrs. and I think 20,000. That's what they told me when I talked to them last year.
Dodge has lifetime power train warranties on all their cars except the SRT versions. Those get the standard 36K warranty.

Having just bought a Challenger, this is a bigger issue as the RT I purchased has a lifetime powertrain warranty. However, if you sneeze on the car it gets voided it seems.

Several guys on the Challenger forum have seen reps go around local tracks writing down vin numbers of cars participating in events. This voids the warranty. Also, one guy stated that the forums are also monitored and that when he had some work done on his car they knew his screen name at the service center. They got this from his online forum posts and matched it to the Challenger Registry on that site.

You guys already know GM keeps an eye on this forum. If you start putting headers, etc on your Camaros and make posts about them, GM may try to deny your warranty based on posts you've made on this very site.

It's 2009 folks. Big Brother is everywhere. My advice is to be really careful about what info is in your profile online.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #34
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Actually, I know with a Z06 (and Corvette if I'm not mistaken) GM provides instructions on how to prep it for racing (inflate tires to xx psi, add a quart of oil, etc). They will back you in your race if you do these things and will replace even a blown motor.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
Actually, I know with a Z06 (and Corvette if I'm not mistaken) GM provides instructions on how to prep it for racing (inflate tires to xx psi, add a quart of oil, etc). They will back you in your race if you do these things and will replace even a blown motor.
They won't replace it if it's shown to have been over revved and if u have aftermarket equipment that one encreases the cars ability to hold more G's.
As a few individuals can attest to on the corvette forum.

Also if I remember correctly they tell you the setup for hpde's not racing. Big difference.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #36
LDGn63

i'm just glad a started a thread that got some play!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #37
LDGn63

btw... does all of this mean that my brother in laws warranty is void because he never gets in his truck that the pedal aint to the carpet at least once! hehe!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Really worried about voiding your warranty, losing your insurance coverage, or what have you? Just pull your plates at the track. It's not like it's hard. I mean, if people can swap wheels, you can pull your tags off.

There you have it people

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #39
SuperSS27

Drives: walking
Why would manufacturers publish 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times if they didn't want it to be raced? The only issues you will run into is if you mod it, and break it, or if you are excessively abusive towards on the car and you can visually see damage.
SuperSS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #40
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
As my Subaru dealer told me. They will never void the warrenty unless they can prove in their shop that the damage to the car was done by 1: the damage to the car was caused by the cars owner. Or 2: the damage to the car was caused by the aftermarket part.

So even with aftermarket equipment on the car my warrenty is valid. I take it in for scheduled maintenance and everything else. they dont care that it has a different suspension or different exhaust, as long as it didnt cause the problem.

Now as far as racing is concerned. The guys the run my local racing group have always joked... If you wreck on the track, we'll haul your ass 1/4 from the track and then let you call your insurance guy.

And this is basically so they dont have to pay more in insurance costs to use the track.
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #41
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
if you've read around you would know that law is near worthless. they can still deny you, you will have to fight them in court (which for the people that have, usually comes out costing substantially more).
If you don't force people to obey it, then it is worthless. Get a lawyer if you need to defend yourself. Just the threat of being sued is usually enough to get your way with a business when it comes to mistreatment and illegal violations.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #42
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They are limited by tire speed. Unless you tamper with it.

Yes the ODBII will keep top speed record.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote