Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
RocTrux

Drives: Summit White 2011 2SS/RS
Why would you guys waste your money on that kit just to have the GM strut brace? I mean if you have the newer towers fine get the new brace it looks good mounted on the new stamped towers but if you don't then get an after market brace they look just as good and better than that. I'm sorry but that just looks okie rigged to me and I doubt that it is as functional at elimaniting strut tower deflection as a brace that is mounted the proper way bolted directly to the the towers, with those long bolts and spacers. If you just want the looks of that brace and don't care about the big ass gap and having to cut the hood strut off or having it actually doing what its designed to do then buy it but if you want looks and function for your $ then go with another brace. It looks like it doesn't belong there and maybe thats because it doesn't....... JMO BMR on the earlier towers = good looks + total functionality and nice looking tower caps.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocTrux View Post
Why would you guys waste your money on that kit just to have the GM strut brace? I mean if you have the newer towers fine get the new brace it looks good mounted on the new stamped towers but if you don't then get an after market brace they look just as good and better than that. I'm sorry but that just looks okie rigged to me and I doubt that it is as functional at elimaniting strut tower deflection as a brace that is mounted the proper way bolted directly to the the towers, with those long bolts and spacers. If you just want the looks of that brace and don't care about the big ass gap and having to cut the hood strut off or having it actually doing what its designed to do then buy it but if you want looks and function for your $ then go with another brace. It looks like it doesn't belong there and maybe thats because it doesn't....... JMO BMR on the earlier towers = good looks + total functionality and nice looking tower caps.
I disagree with you the OEM strut bar looks clean, your engine bay looks like a fracking candy cane.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
BMR doesn't fit a supercharged car.....
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
OEM?

Quote:
I have to say I like the OEM brace the best of any on 2012s and the convertible, but I wondered the same thing as this poster concerning the functionality of the brace with the adapters. It looks as if the high posts and long bolts would flex and at least some of the rigidity would be lost with the braces. Just my opinion...and I'm no engineer. I like the red brace on this poster's car, candy cane or not it looks like it would reduce tower flex.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
CANDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I disagree with you the OEM strut bar looks clean, your engine bay looks like a fracking candy cane.
Candy canes I like candy canes !
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
RocTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMteSSted View Post
BMR doesn't fit a supercharged car.....
Yea but there are others that do.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
RocTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
LOL Like I care what you think. Because obviously you didn't even comprehend what I was saying. I didn't say anything about the way the OEM brace looks, it does look good and if I had the newer towers I'd have it on my car. This thread is about the way it's being mounted to the old style towers not the look of the brace it self. It obviously looks adapted at the mounting points and thats what looks bad and wrong.Tower braces should be added on first for their function and second for looks. Doing this is adding it purely for looks because I can't see how it can retain its fuctionality using spacers and long bolts, that defeats the purpose of the brace. So if your dumb enough to piss away your money on this kit just to have a tower brace for looks then go right a head. Oh wait maybe you already did thats probably why you're so pissy about it and took offense and felt the need to talk smack about my engine bay.

And what do the looks of my engine bay have to do with this thread ? The next time you bash on some ones car make sure you fully understand the thread and what the poster is saying (Insert derogatory name here )
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
RocTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I have to say I like the OEM brace the best of any on 2012s and the convertible, but I wondered the same thing as this poster concerning the functionality of the brace with the adapters. It looks as if the high posts and long bolts would flex and at least some of the rigidity would be lost with the braces. Just my opinion...and I'm no engineer. I like the red brace on this poster's car, candy cane or not it looks like it would reduce tower flex.
Thanks Paris,
Im glad someone understood what I was saying. When mounted the right way they don't just reduce tower deflection they totally stop it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #23
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
does anyone know what the part number is for this gm strut brace? i should be able to order it from the dealer right? but i need a part number.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
baup5f

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
does anyone know what the part number is for this gm strut brace? i should be able to order it from the dealer right? but i need a part number.
The brace is p/n 22756880, but does not include bolts. The bolt p/n is 11589407, but I believe they are 8x1.25x35 bolts.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by baup5f View Post
The brace is p/n 22756880, but does not include bolts. The bolt p/n is 11589407, but I believe they are 8x1.25x35 bolts.
thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
This thread has some pictures of the brackets installed on my car:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224434
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #27
ragtop11

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
checked with GM they have a part number for the tower brace for the 2012 vert, but there is no part number listed for the 2012 coupe.
does anyone know if the vert part number will work on the coupe, or is there a difference in the towers between the vert and coupe.
thanks for any input.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #28
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop11 View Post
checked with GM they have a part number for the tower brace for the 2012 vert, but there is no part number listed for the 2012 coupe.
does anyone know if the vert part number will work on the coupe, or is there a difference in the towers between the vert and coupe.
thanks for any input.
It will work. The vert is the only one that comes with the brace from the factory. That's why it only shows a part number for the vert.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote