Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Help with Check Engine Light after tune

About 2 days after I got tuned, my check engine light came on and the car stumbles all over itself at low throttle and cleans out after you get some rpms up. I had it checked at AutoZone to see what it read and here is what I got: "Bank 1, Sensor 1, Low Voltage" So what I did was check all fuses, for o2 sensors and they are good. Checked all plug in connections and they are good. I swapped the o2 sensors to see if it would give a different reading and it was the same, so its not the o2 sensor itself. I am asking if this is a tuning issue with getting too much fuel or not enough, or oxygen? What can I do to figure what is causing this? When I got tuned we set are fuel more towards rich than lean at 11.5 to.11.75 which is what we felt was good performance and also safe. Any HPTuners guys that could give some input on their opinions would be great. This may have nothing to do with tune but I don't know how to tell. My car is modified alot. S/C Cam, Injectors, ARH/Borla, CAI.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
About 2 days after I got tuned, my check engine light came on and the car stumbles all over itself at low throttle and cleans out after you get some rpms up. I had it checked at AutoZone to see what it read and here is what I got: "Bank 1, Sensor 1, Low Voltage" So what I did was check all fuses, for o2 sensors and they are good. Checked all plug in connections and they are good. I swapped the o2 sensors to see if it would give a different reading and it was the same, so its not the o2 sensor itself. I am asking if this is a tuning issue with getting too much fuel or not enough, or oxygen? What can I do to figure what is causing this? When I got tuned we set are fuel more towards rich than lean at 11.5 to.11.75 which is what we felt was good performance and also safe. Any HPTuners guys that could give some input on their opinions would be great. This may have nothing to do with tune but I don't know how to tell. My car is modified alot. S/C Cam, Injectors, ARH/Borla, CAI.
What is the tuner telling you may be the problem? I'd take the car back to the person that tuned them and ask them what is going on versus wasting time asking people here to diagnose it. It probably isn't a problem that is going to permanently damage your car...but better safe than sorry. Have you done any work to your car since your tune? If not, I'd think the tuner would be more than happy to take a look and make sure their work is not causing the issue.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
What is the tuner telling you may be the problem? I'd take the car back to the person that tuned them and ask them what is going on versus wasting time asking people here to diagnose it. It probably isn't a problem that is going to permanently damage your car...but better safe than sorry. Have you done any work to your car since your tune? If not, I'd think the tuner would be more than happy to take a look and make sure their work is not causing the issue.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
jrpxxii

Tuner is more than willing to help but he doesn't think it is in the tuning. The other thing is the closes person for a tune is over an hour away. If I don't figure it out, I am taking back to him to go through the tune.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Quote:
Thats the code for the driver side front O2 sensor not getting a correct signal. This sensor along with the passenger front sensor is what controls the fueling for the vehicle when in closed loop. Could be the tune if he didn't tune it for the longtube header install. Placement of the sensor itself has been moved down stream further requiring some ajustment in the tune itself. Something you can do yourself to see if its mechanical issue...Have you tried to see if the sensor is plugged in correctly? I would uplug and replug in to confirm the front 02 sensor is plugged in correctly. Also follow the wires from sensor to connection point to be certain nothing has been destroyed by accidentally resting against the headers/engine. Connection is up directly behind the head. Read the ARH LS3 header install instructions for more...
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
GaryTucker

Quote:
Tuner is more than willing to help but he doesn't think it is in the tuning. The other thing is the closes person for a tune is over an hour away. If I don't figure it out, I am taking back to him to go through the tune.
From your description, this is the best thing you can do. You can't go to the dealership for a diagnostic on the O2...so its either the tuner you used or a local repair shop that is willing to work on it. Good luck-hope the repair is easy to find and correct. I know what its like to chase gremlins...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
And as soon as you go to the dealer they kill the warranty on the drivetrain do to the tune.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
GaryTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
And as soon as you go to the dealer they kill the warranty on the drivetrain do to the tune.

His drivetrain warranty is already toast even without the tune with the mods he says he has...but you sure don't want the words "warranty block" showing up on your service history!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
jrpxxii

I have traced all the wires and its not connections or damaged wiring. I am going to take it to my tuner and let him go through it. My dealer and everyone else in this town know what this car has as it is a big interest in a smaller town. I never planned on worrying about warranty issues when I did the build as its kinda hard to hide all the mods when there right in front of you and the sound alone denies warranty. Anything that breaks will be replaced with stronger aftermarket items.