Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
In MY '69, approx. 20,000 genuine Z/28s were assembled by GM. Today, by my estimation, there's about a 1/4 million...

"Missing the boat" comes to mind...
Some people just can't be "real" about what they have or don't have. I could have called my '67 RS 327 a Z/28, but it wasn't and I was quite pleased with what it did with the drivetrain it had. My '69 was a Z/28, even more pleasing to drive and it was what it was. We had all kinds of different Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, etc. in the Chevy High Performance Club I belonged to back then, those guys were proud of what they had and found no need to mis-represent what they had. The "wannabes" cruising around were all about mis-representation of their vehicles.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #30
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
In answer to the thread heading, "missing the boat" was my cryptic response...do you think GM is listening?

"Clones" and "tributes" are fine, if clearly noted as such. It's when the line blurs at "resale time" that things get kinda nasty...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #31
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
In MY '69, approx. 20,000 genuine Z/28s were assembled by GM. Today, by my estimation, there's about a 1/4 million...

"Missing the boat" comes to mind...

The forgers are getting better with fake trim tags, restamped blocks, and papers.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #32
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
There will be a Z/28, most likely on the new platform, IMO.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #33
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
"Cobbled together...using the parts bin"...

Does it not make "good business case sense" for the Team to be doing parallel engineering, testing, certification and validation of "certain newly created parts" for "broader application(s)"? You know, two mules can be utilized for two different end purposes...three, if you count an Automatic ZL1. Wheels/tires/brakes/differential/axle shafts/HD Tremec...one with an LSA and MR, and perhaps one with an LS7 and "enhanced FE4"...

Just a thought...or a wish?!

Before the page turns on the '12 calendar, I predict this icon... ...will be used more than once...
You are preaching to the choir Lowdown!!!. I followed the thread and read all the arguments for the Z-28. You made an excellent argument I would like to note! My comments were a summary. I, like you, would like to see the same methodology used in a joint effort to bring the platform to market. Inferences can be made from threads that suggest it won't happen anytime soon. I don't have a business degree so I will not argue with corporate logic. However, there will be a Z-28. Clues are laying about to predict that. When is the question. And maybe they are working on it as we speak? I am staying optomistic for the return towards the end of the Gen5 cycle.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #34
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Wixom: Hand-assembles the LS7, the LS9, and the dry-sumped Grand Sport LS3. "Capacity" has been as high as about 9,000 units. Nowhere near that number, currently. Underutilized. With a stiff tariff added to '12 Z06 Base Price, and current economic realities a little bit "cloudy" for Corvette production/sales (combined with the approach of the C7), not likely to soar anytime soon.

Unless...

"Asset utilization" might suggest there's room for "something"...and building engines, there, for a lower price-point car certainly wouldn't hurt Wixom's "efficiency"...or GM's profit$...

After all, you can only "delay the vacation" sooo long before you "pick another boat" to replace the one you "missed"...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #35
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
One interesting approach is what the Challenger did in it's opening year of building SRTs only. Maybe build Gen5s and Gen6s together in 2014 or 2015 with the Gen6 being Z-28 only. How's that for a marketing plan.............
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCamaro2010 View Post
i've been wondering if Chevrolet was ever going to come out with a z28 camaro

They have to now.....

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #37
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
It's not a camaro with out a Z28. . .

ZL1 is great and all.
heck even the SS is great.
But z28 is camaro. it has been around since Gen 1. this is the first generation with out a Z28...so far.
My sentiments as well. I'm not loving the ZL-1, it's nice and all, just not for me.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #38
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
One interesting approach is what the Challenger did in it's opening year of building SRTs only. Maybe build Gen5s and Gen6s together in 2014 or 2015 with the Gen6 being Z-28 only. How's that for a marketing plan.............
Why? The only thing that I can see happening there is GM essentially losing 6 months to a year of Camaro sales by not selling high volume V6's and SS's at the launch of the 6th gen.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why? The only thing that I can see happening there is GM essentially losing 6 months to a year of Camaro sales by not selling high volume V6's and SS's at the launch of the 6th gen.
I say interesting because it would only make sense if your wanting to build the Z-28 on lighter platform but still need to get dollars out of the Gen5. Is it too costly to cut weight on the Gen5 to make a high revving lightweight Z-28? It certainly doesn't make sense to wait another 3 or 4 model years when these will sell like hotcakes compared to the ZL1.

We'll definitely know by this time next year what's in stored for the next Z-28.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #40
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
I say interesting because it would only make sense if your wanting to build the Z-28 on lighter platform but still need to get dollars out of the Gen5. Is it too costly to cut weight on the Gen5 to make a high revving lightweight Z-28? It certainly doesn't make sense to wait another 3 or 4 model years when these will sell like hotcakes compared to the ZL1.

We'll definitely know by this time next year what's in stored for the next Z-28.
no z28 has lost weight

Everyone needs to stop asking for it.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #41
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

IF (capitalized/italic'd) a Z/28 with something approaching LS7 power appears, it will require HD driveline/brakes etc. Added weight to a 1SS "Base". Delete some weight with forged wheels and perhaps lighter summer-only tires, combined with "select" interior features, careful optioning, and built with careful applications of underlay/mastic/seam-sealer etc., and the best likely scenario is a weight-neutral finished product. NO SSX-type diet is likely, for NVH and "practicalities" of price consideration. Generally, "less is more"...expen$ive...and for those who will consider a Z/28 as a daily driver, cruisin' in a steel drum would get "old" in a hurry...

505 hp and 3800-odd lb. will make for a most interesting ride...particularly against the 'Stang Supervisor...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #42
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Any Camaros that get sold along side a next gen car will be very unprofitable. Sales will be low, and incentives will be high. They'd be better off to just go into full 6th gen production instead of leading off with the Z28.

As for weight ... I see waaaaaaay to much emphasis on it, be it the Z28, the SS, the ZL1, the V6 ... doesn't matter. Is lighter better? Usually. But its not some sort of be all and end all, there can even be negative aspects to being lighter. Either way, it absolutely does not disqualify the possibility of there being a 5th Gen Z28. The Camaro is an inherently better handling car than the Mustang that weighs some 250 lbs less. So the 'need' to make it lighter to improve handling isn't really there.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote