Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
gearhead08

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 and 2013 GT500
I like tacos
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWRX View Post
I'm just curious, did you drive an auto V6 Mustang?

The '11+ V6 autos are dogs with the 2.73 axle ratio. To compare one of those to a V6 Camaro is probably a bit lopsided.
it was a stick. the only options that had been added to it had been the 3.31 ratio rear end and floor mats. my camaro is 100% base model with only the floor mats added. by comparison, my camaro has the 3.27 ratio rear end, so if anything, the mustang would have a slight advantage in gearing.

a little off topic:
a came across a dodge challenger earlier today when i was at the hobby shop and was challenged to a race after he found out i drive a v6. his car was a v6 with CAI and some sort of exhaust upgrade. my car is bone stock.

he led me to a secluded, private road (or at least he told me it was private) and we had a mini drag race. the road wasn't very long, so i only got up to about 75mph, but i beat him by a couple car-lengths. i'm pretty sure he drove an auto, but my shifts weren't exactly perfect either.

considering the challenger has 304hp stock and is heavier than even the camaro (about 4000lbs), i was pretty confident i would win, but turned down his offer to place a bet in case he had more mods than he claimed, but it was fun and we both admired each others' cars. i am a fan of the challengers as well, but not as much as our beautiful chevy machines.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead08 View Post
I like tacos
I prefer the pink ones

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #33
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Secretary's cars both of them. ;-)
This is true......but my car looks a thousand times better than a secretary's car!!!! Literally....a thousand...times better.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #34
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I test drove a 2012 Ford Mustang before I bought my Camaro. It was the MCA Edition with the billet grille, 19" wheels, etc. It was loaded with leather seats, connectivity package, ambient lighting, etc. It was a 6 speed manual car.

Personally, I like the looks of a Mustang. It was a great looking car...Performance White w/ gun metal wheels. The interior was no worse than my Camaro. Looked/felt fine with really nice seats. If anything I appreciated the fact that Ford put a real shift knob in it with the shift pattern wrote on top as opposed to that nasty plastic lump Chevrolet stacked on theirs.

It was comfy, drove well, though the steering felt kind of funny because it was electric assist. The trans shifted OK. It was closer to rowing a shovel through a wheelbarrow full of gravel than anything. I did like that it felt smaller than the Camaro and I had a better view all around me.

Came home and did research. Between the manual trans problems (and the autos being dogs) and the oddball engine ticks, electric steering assist, etc I passed on the deal. I felt more at home in the Camaro. I always had Chevrolets. I also liked its more unique interior and exterior. A week later I bought my 2012 1LT Camaro. And I LOVE it. I'm also happy to have less gizmos to break in my Camaro which has less options.

However, I'm not going to go out of my way bad mouthing Mustangs or Challengers. I love them all and enjoy seeing them on the road. I think we are all part of a bigger 'club'.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #35
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Your modded LT runs what a stock 2011 Mustang runs, so if you destroyed one, it was a 4.0, not the 3.7.
You are obviously smoking something mine is def alot faster than a stock 2012 v6 mustang and I know what they look like I'm not an idiot. And I wasnt dissing on it I'm just replying to cobras comment about pretty much making a remark against the v6 bc apparently all camaros still can't get along and I even have a very powerful v8 car

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #36
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
haha u got me! The exterior and interior is so much better looking that a Mustang!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #37
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
You are obviously smoking something mine is def alot faster than a stock 2012 v6 mustang and I know what they look like I'm not an idiot. And I wasnt dissing on it I'm just replying to cobras comment about pretty much making a remark against the v6 bc apparently all camaros still can't get along and I even have a very powerful v8 car
Your car is fast and looks good man! a good friend of mine has a v6 man and its fast!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #38
brandonrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
I test drove a 2012 Ford Mustang before I bought my Camaro. It was the MCA Edition with the billet grille, 19" wheels, etc. It was loaded with leather seats, connectivity package, ambient lighting, etc. It was a 6 speed manual car.

Personally, I like the looks of a Mustang. It was a great looking car...Performance White w/ gun metal wheels. The interior was no worse than my Camaro. Looked/felt fine with really nice seats. If anything I appreciated the fact that Ford put a real shift knob in it with the shift pattern wrote on top as opposed to that nasty plastic lump Chevrolet stacked on theirs.

It was comfy, drove well, though the steering felt kind of funny because it was electric assist. The trans shifted OK. It was closer to rowing a shovel through a wheelbarrow full of gravel than anything. I did like that it felt smaller than the Camaro and I had a better view all around me.

Came home and did research. Between the manual trans problems (and the autos being dogs) and the oddball engine ticks, electric steering assist, etc I passed on the deal. I felt more at home in the Camaro. I always had Chevrolets. I also liked its more unique interior and exterior. A week later I bought my 2012 1LT Camaro. And I LOVE it. I'm also happy to have less gizmos to break in my Camaro which has less options.

However, I'm not going to go out of my way bad mouthing Mustangs or Challengers. I love them all and enjoy seeing them on the road. I think we are all part of a bigger 'club'.
i'm not bad-mouthing the mustang. i actually love the 2011+ mustang GTs and those new 5.0 engines that go in them. i just prefer the driving style, looks, and feel of the camaro. i have not driven an SS, but there's a reason for that. i can't afford it and i didn't want to disappoint myself getting back into a V6. when i mentioned that dodge challenger in the other post, i even mentioned that i was admiring it. i do not feel the need to dog the others to make me feel better about my car. in the mustang's case, i just pointed out what i noticed about the car. I actually prefer the Ford brand name over anything GM, but chevy really did well on the camaro. it was the looks that had me; everything else is bonus.

as far as mustangs go, i like the GTs, and don't care for the v6 at all. Chevy did a lot better with their 2012 V6 (can't compare the 2010-2011, cuz i haven't driven them). well, that last part isn't entirely true. i test drove a 2011 V6 last year, but the salesman was a very uptight older gentleman and told me ahead of time that i would not be "testing the power".
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #39
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
Well if the shoe fits

If you did know what they look like you would know that the 2005-10 Mustang had the 4.0L V6 while the 2011+ got the 3.7. You would also know that the 2010 and 2011+ look identical save one tiny difference.... Just saying

Also gonna have to say to the OP, the Base Mustang Interior is absolute crap... You don't get the good interior unless you pay more. Similar to not getting the good headlights without paying more on the Camaro...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #40
brandonrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Well if the shoe fits

If you did know what they look like you would know that the 2005-10 Mustang had the 4.0L V6 while the 2011+ got the 3.7. You would also know that the 2010 and 2011+ look identical save one tiny difference.... Just saying

Also gonna have to say to the OP, the Base Mustang Interior is absolute crap... You don't get the good interior unless you pay more. Similar to not getting the good headlights without paying more on the Camaro...
another thing about the 2005-2010 mustangs with the 4.0L engine...

the 3.7L engine makes "305hp" (put in quotes because i think it's a bit exxagerated)
the 4.0L engine makes 210hp and cannot fairly be compared with any 5th gen camaro. the way they drive can best be descibed as a typical, commuter car. at least the 2011+ 3.7L engines in the newer mustangs make a decent amount of power, though it is mostly in the higher RPMs. i know our camaros don't get really "fast" until the higher RPMs, but this effect is more pronounced in the mustangs.

the whole point of this test drive i did on the mustang was to give it a fair chance to be compared to the camaro. there are still a few things that were better on the mustang than the camaro:
-the engine idle was quieter and sooo smooth and clean
-the power steering in the mustang assists more than the camaro. very little effort is needed to turn the wheel in the mustang. (i prefer the camaro's steering feel, but some like the easier steering)
-the ride was very plush and bumps in the road were instantly less noticeable. the mustang rode like butter, smooth as it gets for a coupe. (once again, i like the firmer ride of the camaro)

Last edited by brandonrr; 04-30-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #41
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
another thing about the 2005-2010 mustangs with the 4.0L engine...

the 3.7L engine makes "305hp" (put in quotes because i think it's a bit exxagerated)
the 4.0L engine makes 210hp and cannot fairly be compared with any 5th gen camaro. the way they drive can best be descibed as a typical, commuter car. at least the 2011+ 3.7L engines in the newer mustangs make a decent amount of power, thought it is mostly in the higher RPMs. i know our camaros don't get really "fast" until the higher RPMs, but this effect is more pronounced in the mustangs.

the whole point of this test drive i did on the mustang was to give it a fair chance to be compared to the camaro. there are still a few things that were better on the mustang than the camaro:
-the engine idle was quieter and sooo smooth and clean
-the power steering in the mustang assists more than the camaro. very little effort is needed to turn the wheel in the mustang. (i prefer the camaro's steering feel, but some like the easier steering)
-the ride was very plush and bumps in the road were instantly less noticeable. the mustang rode like butter, smooth as it gets for a coupe. (once again, i like the firmer ride of the camaro)
Out of curiosity did you try adjusting the steering feel? I can't speak for the 2010's but I know you can change between Comfort, Standard and Sport. That would drastically affect steering feel. I know the GT500 feels just like my Camaro when it's in Standard but Sport mode and it feel closer to a true sports car. The advantage of EPSA it's great when adjusted, sucks when it goes out....
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Well if the shoe fits

The 3.7 has dual exhaust big give away and when did I ever say I didn't know the difference or gave the slightest hint at it I actually know alot about alot of vehicles it's a hobby of mine

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote