Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon21 View Post
Yes it would be nice if someone could do a LLT 3.6 specific Seafoam Proper way to Treat the motor with the right steps etc...
+1 on this, I have had a bottle sitting in my garage for about 9 months but just don't feel very confident in doing it.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
With the proper catchcan you wont have the buildup, but seafoam (or similar) will loosen much of the deposits and they are expelled out the exhaust. The problem with using it to often (I would install a can , do a cleaning, and then not agin unless the deposits return....) is every time you use it, some of the hard deposits get pushed between the piston and cylinder wall and it causes scouring on the skirts, etc. Minor scoure marks are not a big deal, but eventually it will get to the point the rings are not sealing as well and then the damage is done. I would only do one after a can, and maybe 50k miles later (or the km equivilant).

Thank you soo much for the info! Always reliable
I will be purchasing a can when the funds become available. I always put it aside when I really shouldn't lol
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #31
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic73 View Post
+1 on this, I have had a bottle sitting in my garage for about 9 months but just don't feel very confident in doing it.
Agreed, someone make a video using it with the LLT!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
With the proper catchcan you wont have the buildup, but seafoam (or similar) will loosen much of the deposits and they are expelled out the exhaust. The problem with using it to often (I would install a can , do a cleaning, and then not agin unless the deposits return....) is every time you use it, some of the hard deposits get pushed between the piston and cylinder wall and it causes scouring on the skirts, etc. Minor scoure marks are not a big deal, but eventually it will get to the point the rings are not sealing as well and then the damage is done. I would only do one after a can, and maybe 50k miles later (or the km equivilant).

Is the cleaning the dealer would do better than the seafoam cleaning?
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Putting me on the spot huh lmao! Sounds like a good idea, I will make one on tomorrow or Monday since our engine isn't really covered in any of the C5 DIY videos. I think our engine is simpler as we can spray through that side IM port. I'm do for a oil change anyway.
Yes! Lol I've also had a can of sea foam laying around for a while now and want to use it because I'm at 40k no can
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #34
rekoil

Drives: 2011 Imperial Blue Metallic LS
With the utmost respect, guys, you don't need a video for this. You can do it. Trust yourself. Read the label on the side of the can. Whether you got the pour in liquid or the spray, they both have great directions. There are some good tips here specific to our cars, like the side port on the IM for the spray. Use those and the base instructions on the can, and you'll be golden.

My tip... I use the pour in liquid with like a windex sprayer that I've cleaned out. I squirt it into the PCV hole on top of the manifold while my daughter holds the engine RPMs at about 2000. Hope this helps.
I drive Donovan; my wife bought him for me during my fourth deployment to Iraq, and it's the best waste of deployment cash ever. Current mods include- Sunshine Performance custom exhaust (thanks Mike,) VMAX Black Ice-olator, and Vararam intake. Planned mods are- ported IM, headers, tune, and lighter wheels.
rekoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #35
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Lol where's the brake booster on the LLT? I can't figure which one is which
Sorry for newb question. Think I see it but don't want to put seafoam in the wrong line
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #36
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoil View Post
With the utmost respect, guys, you don't need a video for this. You can do it. Trust yourself. Read the label on the side of the can. Whether you got the pour in liquid or the spray, they both have great directions. There are some good tips here specific to our cars, like the side port on the IM for the spray. Use those and the base instructions on the can, and you'll be golden.

My tip... I use the pour in liquid with like a windex sprayer that I've cleaned out. I squirt it into the PCV hole on top of the manifold while my daughter holds the engine RPMs at about 2000. Hope this helps.
Some people are visual people
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #37
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Lol where's the brake booster on the LLT? I can't figure which one is which
Sorry for newb question. Think I see it but don't want to put seafoam in the wrong line
Driver side firewall. Pinch the clip and slide it out of the way. Then work the hose off the insert.
Attached Images

mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #38
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Just DON'T pour to much in at a time.

Carefully follow instructions.

Doing the chain replacement:

Here are some pictures for those wanting to see the effects of no catchcan:

Here is what a piston looks like to show how the gunk buildup on the ringlands/rings prevent the rings from moving freely. Also look at the scour marks from the deposits breaking loose and being forced between the piston and cylinder wall:

No catchcan used on the left, and a average can that lets oil through on the right:

Intake manifold on left with RX can, on right w/out:

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhog View Post
Driver side firewall. Pinch the clip and slide it out of the way. Then work the hose off the insert.
I thought it was noted somewhere that putting Seafoam in the brake booster line was not recommended since it only treated half the engine?
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #40
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Just DON'T pour to much in at a time.

Carefully follow instructions.

Doing the chain replacement:

Here are some pictures for those wanting to see the effects of no catchcan:

Here is what a piston looks like to show how the gunk buildup on the ringlands/rings prevent the rings from moving freely. Also look at the scour marks from the deposits breaking loose and being forced between the piston and cylinder wall:

No catchcan used on the left, and a average can that lets oil through on the right:

Intake manifold on left with RX can, on right w/out:

What seafoam procedures can I do to reverse as much of that build up as possible?
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Seafoam does more than just clean fuel injectors and carbon deposits. It also is a fuel stabilizer (for those who store your car for the winter).

It also aids in the removal of water/moisture from your gas tank - which is a problem these days since the addition of ethanol to today's gasolines.

For that reason alone, my mechanic suggested I add a can of Seafoam to a full tank of gas at every oil change (or 5000 miles). I do this to all my cars.

FYI - STP now makes a version of "seafoam". Exact same ingredients used in Seafoam and the can looks the same...but it's about $1.00 less a can.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
I thought it was noted somewhere that putting Seafoam in the brake booster line was not recommended since it only treated half the engine?
No you misunderstood this. Yes most of the time it only gets one side. But this is why you have to spray in the TB which this will get the other side. It was never said not recommended. The booster line gets the back of the engine and the TB gets the front. And when you choke the engine out with the booster line this causes the seafoam to sit on top of everything to clean it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Seafoam does more than just clean fuel injectors and carbon deposits. It also is a fuel stabilizer (for those who store your car for the winter).

It also aids in the removal of water/moisture from your gas tank - which is a problem these days since the addition of ethanol to today's gasolines.

For that reason alone, my mechanic suggested I add a can of Seafoam to a full tank of gas at every oil change (or 5000 miles). I do this to all my cars.

FYI - STP now makes a version of "seafoam". Exact same ingredients used in Seafoam and the can looks the same...but it's about $1.00 less a can.
Thanks for the tip.