Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Power Steering Pump Failure after donut?

Hello, has anyone had a power steering pump failure after doing some donuts in their camaro? Mines went out earlier this week after doing some donuts on dry pavement. I drift all the time and have done numerous power u-turns but never one problem. This was the first time I've done donuts on dry pavement though since I have enough power now, but I usually do them when the ground is wet.

Does anyone with a service manual have an illustration of pump replacement? It looks like one or two bolts but an illustration would help, thanks!
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I've had a pump failure. It should be under warranty. Mine was. Even with mods if you haven't touched the pump or power steering system it will be covered.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
I've had a pump failure. It should be under warranty. Mine was. Even with mods if you haven't touched the pump or power steering system it will be covered.
How did you have your pump failure? Would the pump be included in the powertrain warranty as I have surpassed the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper?
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
It failed because I assume to do the donuts you kept the wheel full turned... Well the pump keeps pumping and pumping and burns it self up.

Used to happen on my Miata alot on the autocross course bc the pump was crap. Good luck on warranty.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
It failed because I assume to do the donuts you kept the wheel full turned... Well the pump keeps pumping and pumping and burns it self up.

Used to happen on my Miata alot on the autocross course bc the pump was crap. Good luck on warranty.
I think your right, since the ground was dry it took a little longer to kick out so I had to hold the wheel longer. It seems a lot of cars have the problem with doing donuts or uturns and the pump burning out. I already ordered a new pump for 60 bucks, I didnt even think I would still be under warranty with all my mods but its not a big hit, should take less than half an hour to replace.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Anyway to tell if my power steering went out? I'm assuming it's incredibly hard to turn the wheel if it's out.

My car came back from a paint and body shop and the wheel felt like it was a tad bit harder to turn that normal... I was thinking I may need more power steering fluid. This may have me concerned... I haven't been abusing it though.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Pt_killa

Do you hear any noises when you turn the wheel to the left or the right? If its more of a whine, it could be pump failure or low fluid. If its a squeal that changes with rpm, could be the belt or pulley has oil/grime on it
Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
High rpms plus full lock steer equals dead pump. Relief valve might have gone out first.
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
richie_1503
Richie0

Drives: 2011 SS1 CAMARO
I have the same issue right now I busted some donuts and my steering wheel hard to turn when I hit a spot all the time it might be my steering pump cuz when my car accelerate its easy to move my steering wheel.
richie_1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
I've had my steering pump go out as well... Didn't do anything specific for it to happen.

At first I thought it was a leak in the fluid, as it kept on throwing the oil into the engine bay. The day before yesterday I called my importer in Germany, and told him I'd bring the car over, as all power steering was gone, even with the fluid level full.

On the way there, the steering wheel felt heavy, only made it 35 miles or so, when the car started making a funny noise, and the engine went into reduced power mode.

Lots of lights coming on, warnings like "engine coolant temp too high", "service battery charging system", "change engine oil soon", and then the engine power reduced one. Coolant and oil temps rocketing sky high within seconds.

I pulled over, and to my surprise the drive belt was simply gone. Still being dark, I let the car cool down, limped to the closest service station, and there I had a closer look. Pulley on the p/s pump is skew, the housing is broken, and it seems to be completely jammed.

Left the car in an Opel dealership in Bitburg. Hopefully they'll fix it today...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
So I think my pump went out to its hard to trun at low speeds and is making a squealing nose when tryingto turn..it only goes away at 10mph or higher when less pressure is on wheel...
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Mine line backed out they claim the end that bolts into the steering unit went bad.
Not their fault for not properly tightening it right on previous work they did??
It is not under power-train warranty!
:(

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
WildOne
the "crazy cat" lady

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Blk Vrt
Had to have my power steering pump replaced on my 2012 Vert last week. Less than 7000 miles on the car...Started with the fluid leak and became worse, then the steering was compromised and you could hear the belt squeal.

I just got it home Tuesday and it drove fine but when putting it in the garage i noticed that the steering wheel was chattering on the extreme left or right (I have to back into a section of the garage). Was hoping to find if someone else had seen this, will it work itself out or does it need to go back to the dealer? They replaced the pump, flushed the system and replaced the belt.
WildOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOne View Post
Had to have my power steering pump replaced on my 2012 Vert last week. Less than 7000 miles on the car...Started with the fluid leak and became worse, then the steering was compromised and you could hear the belt squeal.

I just got it home Tuesday and it drove fine but when putting it in the garage i noticed that the steering wheel was chattering on the extreme left or right (I have to back into a section of the garage). Was hoping to find if someone else had seen this, will it work itself out or does it need to go back to the dealer? They replaced the pump, flushed the system and replaced the belt.
Sorry to hear about the steering wheel concern. I know that must've been surprising to you. I would suggest letting your local GM dealer know, especially if you continue to notice this issue. I'd also like to schedule a visit for you at the dealer if you decide to take it in. Please keep me updated on this situation.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care