Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #12965
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Woodward is a very cool event that is mandatory for a car guy.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #12966
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
This dog has good taste....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Attached Images

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #12967
JusticePete

Hard to believe he was that small. He is now over 50 pounds and growing. I think he has more torque than a V6.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #12968
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Hard to believe he was that small. He is now over 50 pounds and growing. I think he has more torque than a V6.
It's amazing how fast they grow! How's the training going?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #12969
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Both of you guys have beautiful dogs...
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #12970
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
I want a dog... but i work three jobs.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #12971
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I want a dog... but i work three jobs.
I'm quickly finding out having a Bloodhound puppy is a full time job by itself...
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #12972
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
It's amazing how fast they grow! How's the training going?
I was told the military wants them back rude and belligerent. That part comes easy to Ppirro and me

At just over five months, he has calmed down a bit or learned to more peacefully co-exist. He is very independent, but excellent concentration when engaged in training work. There is an acid test all MWDs are subject to when they are returned from the foster families. I think Ppirro will do well in what is best described as chaos in the kennel area. We took a weekend trip about two months ago. He didn't stay in the kennel, but with a civilian administrator from Lackland. When we picked him up on Monday afternoon the administrator told us most dogs are unsure or afraid to enter the kennel area. It is loud and intimidating. Ppirro walked in and through as though he 'owned' the place. That is a key reason we are keeping him rude and belligerent. When he returns he should be THE Alpha Dog in the kennel.

All levity aside, they gave us Ppirro with the caveat he may be too much dog, too much of an alpha high drive dog to control. He is more dog than we could have imagined, but that is also his charm.

In an on base training exercise the handler was seeking to control, dominate Ppirro. He yanked the leash so hard Ppirro went flying against a wooden cabinet. The handler was in mid sentence explaining to the group this is how you make a MWD submissive. Before he could get the words out, Ppirro launched himself into the back of the handler. The handler was face down and Ppirro was standing on his back. No biting. Just a little rough play. I swear he was grinning ear to ear. We do play pretty rough around the house

They switched handlers. Ppirro was then a model student. The short answer is I think he will become a dual purpose MWD.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #12973
JusticePete

Quote:
Mac gets to keep his
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #12974
ShnOmac

Quote:
I was told the military wants them back rude and belligerent. That part comes easy to Ppirro and me

At just over five months, he has calmed down a bit or learned to more peacefully co-exist. He is very independent, but excellent concentration when engaged in training work. There is an acid test all MWDs are subject to when they are returned from the foster families. I think Ppirro will do well in what is best described as chaos in the kennel area. We took a weekend trip about two months ago. He didn't stay in the kennel, but with a civilian administrator from Lackland. When we picked him up on Monday afternoon the administrator told us most dogs are unsure or afraid to enter the kennel area. It is loud and intimidating. Ppirro walked in and through as though he 'owned' the place. That is a key reason we are keeping him rude and belligerent. When he returns he should be THE Alpha Dog in the kennel.

All levity aside, they gave us Ppirro with the caveat he may be too much dog, too much of an alpha high drive dog to control. He is more dog than we could have imagined, but that is also his charm.

In an on base training exercise the handler was seeking to control, dominate Ppirro. He yanked the leash so hard Ppirro went flying against a wooden cabinet. The handler was in mid sentence explaining to the group this is how you make a MWD submissive. Before he could get the words out, Ppirro launched himself into the back of the handler. The handler was face down and Ppirro was standing on his back. No biting. Just a little rough play. I swear he was grinning ear to ear. We do play pretty rough around the house

They switched handlers. Ppirro was then a model student. The short answer is I think he will become a dual purpose MWD.
Very cool! Glad to hear it's coming along well.

Quote:
Mac gets to keep his
Agreed.

for being able to do it. I would probably end up kidnapping the dog. It takes a very strong family to do what you guys are doing. I know it's going to be hard to give him back but thank you and your family for doing what your doing.

Last edited by ShnOmac; 05-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #12975
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Mac gets to keep his
True... and I have no idea how you're going to let yours go. The girls will be crushed.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #12976
JusticePete

Quote:
Very cool! Glad to hear it's coming along well.

Agreed.

for being able to do it. I would probably end up kidnapping the dog. It takes a very strong family to do what you guys are doing. I know it's going to be hard to give him back but thank you and your family for doing what your doing.
Quote:
True... and I have no idea how you're going to let yours go. The girls will be crushed.
We are privileged to have become friends with a couple of EODs and a number of military people that have worked with bomb sniffing dogs. They have to man said the dogs are invaluable in execution of the mission and perhaps more so for morale. My age has prevented me from making a real contribution since 9.11. Fostering Ppirro is a contribution and our shared sacrifice. When we turn in Ppirro in mid July, we will all understand a bit more how the parents of those that serve feel when their sons and daughters leave for boot camp.

It isn't a day we look forward too. If we did not believe in the value, in the mission for Military Working Dogs, there is no way we could return him. Ppirro is part of our family and we'll watch from a distance his progress and service with great pride knowing we played a part in his success.

The kids know and understand the mission, but I have not shown them this video and hope they don't find it.

We all read Soldier Dogs before we got Ppirro. http://www.soldierdogs.com/

Mac, we had no idea Ppirro was a recruiting poster boy. Thanks for posting it to my FB page!!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #12977
ShnOmac

Quote:

Mac, we had no idea Ppirro was a recruiting poster boy. Thanks for posting it to my FB page!!!!
I figured you had not seen it yet since you hadn't posted it.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #12978
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I figured you had not seen it yet since you hadn't posted it.
very cool..

Would be nice to re-unite with him after his duties are done.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014