Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Out of storage, now have CEL TP sensor code

I just took Big Red out of storage but I noticed now I have a CEL. Took it to Auto Zone and the code comes up P0122 and P0223 throttle position sensor shorted or open. The car runs and drives fine. The 2 thinkg I changed over the winter related to the engine are I pulled the throttle body out for powdercoating and I changed the Vararam not tune section to a tune section. I plan on a dyno tune in the next month but I don't think it would cause a TP code, do you? Any ideas?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Do you keep your battery on a charger while in storage?
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Yes, it was on a battery tender all winter. This is the first time it's been fired up since storing it in December.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
I re-read the OP and I am not following the tune comment. Did you tune it or not? The intake and throttle body should not throw a CEL. I have a VMax TB and C.A.I. intake (no tune yet, waiting on my headers) and I do not have any CELs. Did you check your TB connector? Connection pins, etc.?
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Mike I sent you a PM and an email with diagrams for the TPS, accelerator pedal position along with the throttle relearn procedures.

Definitely not related to the intake.

Good info in one place.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/15922045-post9.html

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
I would just drive it but dont beat on her, then put a fresh tank of gas in it.. setting over winter gas goes bad
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I re-read the OP and I am not following the tune comment. Did you tune it or not? The intake and throttle body should not throw a CEL. I have a VMax TB and C.A.I. intake (no tune yet, waiting on my headers) and I do not have any CELs. Did you check your TB connector? Connection pins, etc.?
I have a JRE tune for the no tune VR. I have not had a tune since installing the VR tune section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Mike I sent you a PM and an email with diagrams for the TPS, accelerator pedal position along with the throttle relearn procedures.

Definitely not related to the intake.

Good info in one place.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/15922045-post9.html
Thanks Lee. It looks like maybe the TB is at fault seeing how the TP sensors are internal to the TB. I reseated the connector to the TB and all 6 pins look fine! I just disconnected the battery and I'll let it sit for a while.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Did you had Fuel Stabiliser? When I purchased my car in April 2010 it has standed for 6 months in a garage (stored) without fuel stabiliser. Dealer had to change 1 injector that was cloged with varnish. Disconnecting the battry is the best thing to do, make it overnite, it's better.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I have a JRE tune for the no tune VR. I have not had a tune since installing the VR tune section.

Thanks Lee. It looks like maybe the TB is at fault seeing how the TP sensors are internal to the TB. I reseated the connector to the TB and all 6 pins look fine! I just disconnected the battery and I'll let it sit for a while.

You are welcome Mike. Hopefully it is simply a sync issue between the TBS and the ECM and the power reset will correct that.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
Is it possible you turned the ignition on when you had the throttle body off and out for powder coating? Since there is no driveability issues I would assume it was a code that set during that process. I would check the TPS data with a scan tool, make sure they look good. Look for TPS1 and TPS2 to move smoothly with no dips or spikes. If that checks out, I would clear the codes and see what happens.
04GOAT-11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GOAT-11SS View Post
Is it possible you turned the ignition on when you had the throttle body off and out for powder coating? Since there is no driveability issues I would assume it was a code that set during that process. I would check the TPS data with a scan tool, make sure they look good. Look for TPS1 and TPS2 to move smoothly with no dips or spikes. If that checks out, I would clear the codes and see what happens.
BAM! Correct answer right there! I pulled the + batt cable off overnight and no more CEL today! Your post got me thinking, I remember possibly turning the ignition on at one time while the TB was out, although I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, all is back to normal and I'll keep an eye on it!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
IndeedSS1

Quote:
BAM! Correct answer right there! I pulled the + batt cable off overnight and no more CEL today! Your post got me thinking, I remember possibly turning the ignition on at one time while the TB was out, although I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, all is back to normal and I'll keep an eye on it!
Never occurred to me that the key might be turned on while the TB was off. Sync issue FTL. Power reset FTW.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help!
Are you out of storage for the rest of the season? Or just to get the 3.91?

She is only memory now.